Easy and fast to cook foods for stove without oven and slow cooker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonaccorso

Assistant Cook
Can you recommend some foods that are easy and fast to cook suitable for stove only?
I saw many recipes but most require oven, which I don't have because now I rent a former bnb, so kitchen is not suited for many things. Also, a freezer is pretty small, so cooking once for a week is not an option either.

What kind of meals do you like? There are many that can be done in one pan, from meats right through to the vegetables. Do you have just one burner more than one?

Look for "One Pot Meals". That's different than one pan meals. Those will be sheet pans for the oven.

Last edited:
So, do you have a slow cooker or not?

You can cook most things on the stove but they need to be watched because they might burn.

Eggs. You can scramble eggs with pretty much any kind of meat. Add some cheese, toast some bread and you're off. They're pretty cheap, too.

Rice. If you have a saucepan with a tight fitting lid, you can make rice. If you're making basic long grain rice, rinse it first. Takes less than half an hour from stepping into the kitchen to eating, and again, you can mix in almost any kind of meat.

Pasta. Just because it comes in a one pound box doesn't mean you have to cook all of it at once. Maybe 1/3 of a box or 1/4, depending on how much you eat at a time, and you can find literally dozens of different sauces in jars.

What kind of meals do you like? There are many that can be done in one pan, from meats right through to the vegetables. Do you have just one burner more than one?

Look for "One Pot Meals". That's different than one pan meals. Those will be sheet pans for the oven.
Something with beef/pork and vegetables are the best.

And thanks, I'll check those!

Eggs. You can scramble eggs with pretty much any kind of meat. Add some cheese, toast some bread and you're off. They're pretty cheap, too.

Rice. If you have a saucepan with a tight fitting lid, you can make rice. If you're making basic long grain rice, rinse it first. Takes less than half an hour from stepping into the kitchen to eating, and again, you can mix in almost any kind of meat.

Pasta. Just because it comes in a one pound box doesn't mean you have to cook all of it at once. Maybe 1/3 of a box or 1/4, depending on how much you eat at a time, and you can find literally dozens of different sauces in jars.
Thank you, very good ideas!

Especially pasta, though I'm eating it already, I'm now in Italy :)

It's a good idea to try more with rice.

Beef stews of all sorts
Beef or pork- based soup
Vegetable and/or bean based soups
Chili
Pot roast
Al pastor for tacos
Mac and cheese
Asian peanut noodles with veggies
Poached chicken or fish
Omelettes
Fried chicken

Beef stews of all sorts
Beef or pork- based soup
Vegetable and/or bean based soups
Chili
Pot roast
Al pastor for tacos
Mac and cheese
Asian peanut noodles with veggies
Poached chicken or fish
Omelettes
Fried chicken
Thank you!

Do a search for "no cook pasta sauce recipe" and you'll find a ton of inspiration. I have an out of print book by Joie Warner that is wonderful...and can often be found online in used condition. Many/most of her recipes call for making the "sauce" in a heat proof bowl that you then put on top of the pot with water to cook the pasta. As that pot heats up, it warms the "sauce" enough to use once the pasta is cooked. Hmmmm...getting hungry here!:chef:

Welcome to the forum!

Omelettes were one of the first things I learned to make when I was away at school, to make a fast, nutritious meal with various ingredients in it. Rice was something I used a lot, too - pilaf type things with many types of meats and/or vegetables, then the rice and water added, and cooked 20-25 min, until the rice is cooked, and liquid is absorbed. Heavy Dutch oven type pots are good for stovetop, and another type of pan I use a lot for one pot dishes is a sauté pan - like a skillet, but straight sides, and a lid, and many things can be browned in it, then removed, a sauce started in it, meat returned, and simmered, then served with rice, pasta, etc.

Do you have a microwave, to reheat these types of things? And are you looking into getting the slow cooker? Sounds like you might be, when you stated "Right now I don't have it." If so, I would look into getting one of those multi-cookers, like an Instant Pot. This is something I have made countless "one pot meals" in, and one good thing about it is that you don't have to keep watching it so closely. You can brown the onions, and meats, then add other ingredients, and either use it as a slow cooker, a fast slow cooker (which is basically like a simmer on a stovetop), or speed things up with the pressure cooker. Also has a rice cooker mode, which is a low pressure cooker. You might be able to buy a used one at a yard sale, or something like that, that has hardly been used at all, because some people just don't want to learn how to cook in them. I wish I'd had one in my early days, in those school kitchens!

Stir-steamed vegetables: broccoli, mushrooms, red and yellow peppers, onions, more peppers, broccoli stems, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, glaze of cornstarch, over veggie rice. Use whatever vegetables you have on hand.

To make a sauce, try one of our favorites. https://monkeyandmekitchenadventures.com/szechuan-veggie-stir-fry/
  • 3 Tablespoons low sodium tamari *
  • 3 Tablespoons organic maple syrup
  • 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons molasses
  • 1 Tablespoon tahini
  • 1 to 3 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (+/-) *
  • ½ teaspoon ground mustard powder
  • 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • ¼ teaspoon dried red pepper flake (+/-)
  • ½ teaspoon cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
(I make it in 2-3 pint amounts and keep it in the fridge to use on dishes or for a dipping sauce. If you want the larger recipe let me know.)

So, do you have a slow cooker or not?

You can cook most things on the stove but they need to be watched because they might burn.

I generally do not like crock pots/slow cookers, but one would be excellent for someone with a very limited kitchen, especially with no oven.

CD

Can you recommend some foods that are easy and fast to cook suitable for stove only?
I saw many recipes but most require oven, which I don't have because now I rent a former bnb, so kitchen is not suited for many things. Also, a freezer is pretty small, so cooking once for a week is not an option either.

Since you are Italian, I assume you already do pasta dishes. You only need two pans, one for the sauce, and one for the pasta. Add the cooked pasta to the sauce, with a little pasta water to add some starch to the sauce, and you have a quick, easy meal.

I know there are one-pot pasta dishes, where you cook the pasta in the sauce, but I've never made one.

CD

When I didn't have an oven for three years, I cooked loads of things on the stove top. I also had a large electric skillet with a tall domed lid. That can be used as a sort of oven. I have baked cakes in electric skillets and baked potatoes, as well as making English muffins in one. Then I got a toaster oven and that was a decent substitute for a regular oven.

This collection of short videos has many simple dishes that can be prepared on the stovetop.

Do a search for "no cook pasta sauce recipe" and you'll find a ton of inspiration. I have an out of print book by Joie Warner that is wonderful...and can often be found online in used condition. Many/most of her recipes call for making the "sauce" in a heat proof bowl that you then put on top of the pot with water to cook the pasta. As that pot heats up, it warms the "sauce" enough to use once the pasta is cooked. Hmmmm...getting hungry here!:chef:
Thank you, I'll check those pasta recipes :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom