Time to slow cook chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenB

Assistant Cook
I'm breaking in a cooker with a whole chicken. It's 1.8kg and I'm not adding anything else. I've chosen slow cook on high but I'm not sure of the time so I've gone with 3 hours.

The effect of under-doing it is obvious but what harm will it do if I do it for much longer than necessary?

OK, so quick questions.

What's another name for what you call a cooker?

An oven, or a grill, or maybe a type of smoker.

We need way more info.

Yes, of course. It's a slow/pressure combo, which I'm using with the steam release activated.

Attachments

• cp.png
    cp.png
    141.3 KB · Views: 33
I'm sorry, man, but I can't help. I've never used one of those things that they call an instant-pot here in the states.

I'm sorry, man, but I can't help. I've never used one of those things that they call an instant-pot here in the states.

This one looks like it says "Crock Pot".

I have only used a slow cooker once, so I really have no idea how long to cook that large a chicken, or even how long to cook a smaller one.

Will there be any liquid added to the chicken?

No liquid, as I wanted to learn first how it would go on its own.

I tried 3 hours with success. Juices running clear. Nice stock to go on with. Just slight browning of the skin.

Fairly tender, and I'll be looking to improve that even more next time but I don't know whether I should try 3.5 hours on high slow cook, or use low slow cook instead (with the correct longer time).

Back
Top Bottom