Slow Cooker Orange Chicken for One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
This was my supper Sept 4th '23. Thought I do a little review of it.

Slow Cooker Orange Chicken for One

Was so very easy - not a huge amount of ingredients and quick to put together! Plus mine was ready at about 5 hours on slow. (Maybe even earlier but I had not checked.) Try to use the low sugar orange preserves if possible. I did not have and used regular marmalade, so for me it was a tad too sweet but that is my personal preference. Feel that the sauce needed thickening at the end.
Very good, simple, fast recipe! (LOL for a slow cooker!) I especially like that the ingredients are what I generally have on hand. I also like that there is no prepping with breading involved even though that is what you would probably get at your local restaurant. Served over Jasmine rice which I did in my rice cooker. Talk about an easy, no stress, open lid and serve dinner.

Because of the sweetness it will not go on my regular to do list, but I would do it to go along with a meal consisting of more savoury type dishes, such as shrimp rolls, soup, maybe a beef and broccoli dish, that kind of almost a buffet style meal. I think the grands would love it.

Easily doubled, I have the 2 quart size slow cooker and it could have easily fitted 3 thighs. I probably would not increase the other ingredients except for maybe the sliced onion on the bottom. Think that really depends on the size of your "small" onion. I also had a scant 1/4 cup of diced celery that I also tossed in on top of the onion.

All in all I gave it a 4 out of 5 star rating - and that only because sweet is not my thing.

Do you have any frozen OJ concentrate? What about subbing some of the orange preserves with that? Then it wouldn't be so sweet. I just bought a can of frozen OJ concentrate for adding a little bit of orange flavour to recipes. I'll leave it in the freezer and just scoop out a bit when I want some.

Good idea taxy, thanks.
I didn't even have orange juice, had to squeeze an orange (which in itself was a sweet one!)

Although I will have some with a Chinese meal - Sweet and Sour Sauce is not really my favourite. Don't mind a bite here and there during the meal but to only have that dish as the main - nope. Which is exactly what I did with this Slow Cooker meal.

I'm pretty sure anyone who likes Sweet and Sour Chicken would love this.

Good idea taxy, thanks.
I didn't even have orange juice, had to squeeze an orange (which in itself was a sweet one!)

Although I will have some with a Chinese meal - Sweet and Sour Sauce is not really my favourite. Don't mind a bite here and there during the meal but to only have that dish as the main - nope. Which is exactly what I did with this Slow Cooker meal.

I'm pretty sure anyone who likes Sweet and Sour Chicken would love this.
I'm not too fond of sweet with my savoury either. That's why I come up with ideas like that.

if the crock pot isn't filled up correctly, your food will burn. cooking for one is a challenge.

Sara, I purchased a small crock pot for that very reason. My larger crock pot is a multi-function, I can sear/brown and and then directly slow cook, without changing pots. But in order for it to sear it has a metal pot - not a ceramic pot.

If you have a ceramic pot you can do smaller quantities by putting an oven proof dish inside. Perhaps a ramekin or some such. I can't do that with the metal pot as I don't want to ruin/scratch it.

Crock/Slow Cookers come in all sorts of sizes. From 1.5 quarts on up to 8 ?? So I now have a 2 quart and a 4 quart. I believ my DIL has a 6 quart.
Think we've got it covered!

I went to Aldi's today. They have 2 quart mini-slow cookers for $12.99. It does not have a combo setting, but has high, low and warm. Plus, the pot comes out and is dish-washable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom