Chilli con Carne (Mexican -v- American)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would say VERY Americanized! LOL there's more chili powder than paprika!
Plus I just noticed the Italian Seasoning and Cheese but no Sour Cream.

Ahhh, the Melting Pot of North America!

Chatting with DH last night, he asserted that chili is not a Mexican or a Tex-Mex dish. He says that chili is made around the world. DH was in the U.S. Navy and saw a lot of this world. He says everywhere you go, there is a version of chili. 🤷
There's a version of beef brocolli everywhere you go, too, but that doesn't mean it is not Chinese.

Well I certainly agree on the "toothfish" part - that's scary! and Patagonia is in Argentina... LOL bit of a misnomer, eh?

Patagonia is in both Chile and Argentina.

The fish is caught "in southern Chile around the coast to Patagonia in Argentina and the Falkland Islands" according to wiki.

And, its really delicious but controversial as its been over and illegally fished.

I remember way back when Mom would "let" me cook, spaghetti was one of the things everyone (except sis) liked when I fixed it, because I would put chili powder in it! Not a lot, but it still made it different. I think Spice Islands was what she had - not what I have now! :LOL:

Hmmm...how about Spaghetti? Chinese...? :unsure:
I think it may have been Marco Polo that brought the first spaghetti trees from China to Italy. 🤔

spaghetti-harvest-ticino-scaled.jpg

That's good GG! Thanks for the reminder. I've read another story about them before in a little more depth - wish i could remember where! Fascinating women.
I have a fun book called "Eight Flavors: The Untold Story of American Cuisine," that includes a chapter on chili powder and describes the Chili Queens and the development of chili in the 19th century. Here's an excerpt.
The United States boasts a culturally and ethnically diverse population that makes for a continually changing culinary landscape. But a young historical gastronomist named Sarah Lohman discovered that American food is united by eight flavors: black pepper, vanilla, curry powder, chili powder, soy sauce, garlic, MSG, and Sriracha. In “a unique and surprising view of American history…richly researched, intriguing, and elegantly written” (The Atlantic), Lohman sets out to explore how these influential ingredients made their way to the American table.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom