Shredded Taco Chicken Recipe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1

If you want to make real Mexican food, Rick Bayless is the man... and he's a Chicagoan. Go figure. He's done his research. I love his videos shot in Mexico.
When he was in college, he studied anthropology and concentrated on Mexico. He traveled there for research purposes and became interested in cooking. The rest is history ☺ He actually takes his employees there so they can meet Mexicans, talk with them about the food and shop in the markets.

That Chicken Tinga Tacos recipe looks good! The piloncillo may be hard to find locally in NY, but you can get it online. Light brown sugar will work as a substitute. Italian oregano is fine, too, if you can't get Mexican oregano. They are very close in flavor. If you can't get queso fresco, I would go with the mild feta. Those things are in every supermarket here, but I'm not sure about other parts of the US.
I think any unrefined sugar like jaggery or Muscovado would work. Most of the international grocery stores near me have both Asian and Latin American ingredients.

I also think queso fresco is pretty common around the country now. The huge number of Mexican and other Latin American immigrants over the decades, and their descendants, as well as the increase in the number of white Americans who like to make more authentic foods, have created a big demand for authentic ingredients. One of my cousins lives in Traverse City, MI, way up near the Upper Peninsula. She was the supervisor of a crew of Mexicans who cleaned the local mall.

Mexican oregano might still be more of a specialty item, though. I get mine from Penzeys.

I was favourably impressed with Rick Bayless from that video. The recipe looked interesting, but like more effort than I have the energy to devote to it.
You could make a big batch when you're feeling well and freeze it in recipe-size packages. Or you can take some help from the store, as Rachael Ray likes to say 😉 : get a can of enchilada sauce and use it as a simmer sauce. Or ask your favorite Mexican resto to sell you a pint of their enchilada sauce.

When I shred my chicken breast for enchiladas, I throw them in a big bowl and use a hand mixer. It does most of the work in a flash, leaving some big chunks which can easily be torn apart with a couple of forks.

Chicago has a HUGE population of Latino people, and accordingly we can find all kinds of great Mexican food. In particular, there's a brand named La Preferida, and their green enchilada sauce - from a can, yes - is quite good.

I was trying to recreate a version of the spicy shredded chicken they had once at Taco Bell. So Mexican authenticity isn't what I'm going for. Lol.

I was trying to recreate a version of the spicy shredded chicken they had once at Taco Bell. So Mexican authenticity isn't what I'm going for. Lol.
OK, but Rick Bayless's ingredients and techniques will get you what you want. Or you could experiment with simmering chicken thighs in store-bought enchilada sauce. If it doesn't give you the flavor you want out of the can, add Mexican seasonings until you get something you like.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom