Are we all fasting on Friday, October 11th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodentraiser

Head Chef
I ended up making salt roasted shrimp. Now I love salt roasted potatoes, but...shrimp isn't in the same class.

First of all, the recipe calls for an inordinate amount of kosher salt - I used 3 cups of it. It's baked at 500° for 15 minutes, then poured over the shrimp which should be in an oven safe pan. I used a pound of shrimp. Then the shrimp is baked for 5 minutes. Once out of the oven, rinse the salt off the shrimp under hot water, dry and enjoy.

Well, I don't have any running hot water, so I had to rinse mine under cool water, which of course, promptly cooled off my shrimp. So once all the salt was rinsed off, I had to stick the shrimp back into the oven to warm up again.

I ate one and it was sort of bland, so I melted garlic and butter together while the rest were reheating, and then dunked the rest of the shrimp into the butter as I ate them. I didn't eat very many because first, they weren't as good as I thought they would be and second, they were incredibly salty, way way too salty.

Now I'm wondering if maybe I could make the shrimp like I make salt roasted potatoes - boil them in water with ONE cup of kosher salt. I'm not convinced if this would work. If you make potatoes like this, the salt just attaches to the outside skin and the potato inside get creamy, but not salty. I'm afraid if I boil salt with the shrimp, they would still be way too salty.

What do you guys think? I still have a pound of shrimp to experiment on.

I bought some hot dogs at Walmart for the first time in a long time. Nathan's dogs. I made a couple, with diced onions and <looking down my nose> Grey Poupon mustard. Loved it.

A few hours later, I got this craving, and had two more.

I was a bad boy.

CD

What do you guys think? I still have a pound of shrimp to experiment on.

A skillet, some butter and garlic, and some shrimp are all you need. Forget the salt, shrimp come from the sea. Serve it on some rice with the pan sauce, a little herb garnish, and call it "dinner."

My motto with shrimp is keep it simple. This one was cooked on the gas grill, but seared in a pan works just as well. Hot pan, very fast cook. The worst thing you can do with shrimp is overcook it.

1728710411470.jpeg

CD

Last edited:
I bought some hot dogs at Walmart for the first time in a long time. Nathan's dogs. I made a couple, with diced onions and <looking down my nose> Grey Poupon mustard. Loved it.

A few hours later, I got this craving, and had two more.

I was a bad boy.

CD
A salty boy?

Back
Top Bottom