2022 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's @FrankZ's fault. He sent me a PM a couple of weeks ago about our football team, the Cleveland Browns, AKA "Brownies". Half our discussion seemed to revolve around the baked good, though. While it ended up being box mix Brownies, they satisfied my craving.

20221204_002816.jpg
Baked them in a 9x9 pan because I was too lazy to dig through a box for my 8x8. Still turned out fudgy.

Prompted by the price of eggs lately! I'll be using enough of those for cookies pretty soon. I put a tsp of xanthan gum in, to help with it, plus the bananas also help, in place of eggs.

I had 3 smallish, very ripe bananas I had to use soon, and I got another one out of the freezer, since they are small. Smells fantastic baking, and tastes delicious - not super sweet, even with those very ripe bananas.

Eggless Banana Bread

Grease an 8½ x 4½ pan (or an 8 x 4, for a deeper loaf)

3.8 oz whole wheat flour
3.8 oz sorghum or oat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
Sift these dry ingredients together into a 3 or 4 qt bowl (I processed them together in the food processor, then dumped it in the bowl).

3 large, or 4 smaller extra ripe bananas
5.25 oz (3/4 c) light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c neutral oil
1/2 c chopped walnuts (option)
Process the bananas and sugar in FP, or mash together in a bowl. Add vanilla and oil, and process briefly, to mix well, then scrape into the bowl of flour, folding together well, adding the nuts last. Scrape into prepared pan, and level out. Let rest, while heating oven to 350° (or 300°, for convection).

Bake 45 min, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Eggless banana bread, all whole grain. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Banana bread, cut into, and on end. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I have made many eggnog desserts but not cookies. Looking forward to a recipe (please).

Up early, as usual.

Not baking but cooking up an old food memory

Chocolate Cornstarch Pudding

2T Hershey’s special dark cocoa
3T cornstarch
1/3 cup Lakanto monk fruit sweetener
2 cups cold skim milk
1/2 t vanilla extract
1/2 T butter

Combine first three ingredients in saucepan working out any obvious lumps with the back of a spoon. Add 1/3 cup of the cold milk to the pan and stir to form a slurry. Add remaining milk and cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat, until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens, remove from heat, stir in the vanilla and butter. Transfer the pudding to serving dishes, serve warm or cool and refrigerate.

The best part of this old recipe is getting to eat the warm pudding left in the pan and on the spoon. :pig:

Up early, as usual.

Not baking but cooking up an old food memory

Chocolate Cornstarch Pudding

2T Hershey’s special dark cocoa
3T cornstarch
1/3 cup Lakanto monk fruit sweetener
2 cups cold skim milk
1/2 t vanilla extract
1/2 T butter

Combine first three ingredients in saucepan working out any obvious lumps with the back of a spoon. Add 1/3 cup of the cold milk to the pan and stir to form a slurry. Add remaining milk and cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat, until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens, remove from heat, stir in the vanilla and butter. Transfer the pudding to serving dishes, serve warm or cool and refrigerate.

The best part of this old recipe is getting to eat the warm pudding left in the pan and on the spoon. :pig:
Sounds good, Aunt Bea. Can regular sugar be subbed for the sweetener? DD can't eat sweetener.

My first try at Baklava. I researched many recipes, then mixed and matched till I got something that sounded good to me. I hope it tastes as good as it looks.

After baking before syrup
baklava_121022_1_IMG_0390.jpg

After adding syrup
baklava_121022_2_IMG_0392.jpg

My first try at Baklava. I researched many recipes, then mixed and matched till I got something that sounded good to me. I hope it tastes as good as it looks.

After baking before syrup
baklava_121022_1_IMG_0390.jpg

After adding syrup
baklava_121022_2_IMG_0392.jpg

Well, it sure looks great! No doubt it will taste great as well.

I made a half recipe (8X8 pan and half pound phyllo). I think I will use the other sleeve (half pound) and make half recipe of spanakopita.

Up early, cold and snowy!

I stirred up a small, 6 muffin, batch of banana nut muffins. The aroma is almost as nice as the muffins.

I used this recipe from One Dish Kitchen. I swapped out the sugar for 2 tablespoons of sugar free maple flavored pancake syrup and added 1/4 t ginger, 1/4 t nutmeg, and 1/2 t cinnamon, along with 1/4 cup walnut pieces.

I’ve had good results with the small batch baking recipes from One Dish Kitchen and adapted a few of my own using similar logic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom