2024 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I baked a pound cake today, then cut some of it up into little pieces, and made a parfait with pureed pears and pastry cream, suggestion from @larry_stewart ,then instead of pecans, which I didn't have, I sprinkled slivered almonds, a hint from @dragnlaw. I left out the whipped cream as I'm just so used to cooking "light" nowadays. I haven't tasted it yet, we'll have it after lunch, I'll let you know. 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20240831_120415.jpg
    IMG_20240831_120415.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 16
I baked a pound cake today, then cut some of it up into little pieces, and made a parfait with pureed pears and pastry cream, suggestion from @larry_stewart ,then instead of pecans, which I didn't have, I sprinkled slivered almonds, a hint from @dragnlaw. I left out the whipped cream as I'm just so used to cooking "light" nowadays. I haven't tasted it yet, we'll have it after lunch, I'll let you know. 😁
I usually substitute walnuts for pecans, when I don't have any pecans. I find that almonds have a much harder texture than pecans. Walnuts are closer, but still a little harder than pecans. If I also don't have walnuts, but do have sliced almonds, then I'll use those. Once the almonds are thinly sliced, they aren't as hard.

Whole wheat cinnamon bread, 2 loaves.
I wanted a tight crumb with a swirl of cinnamon going around. I didn't want a swirled space in the bread like I see a lot of them. It suggested not using butter, minimizing sugar, so the sugar and butter don't soak into the bread leaving that space. They suggested adding egg and flour to the cinnamon.
I used ground flax ground chia wheat germ with water, honey, and cinnamon for the swirl part. It was more of a paste.
It turned out great. No space in the swirl.
cinnamon-bread-003.jpg

IMG_4448.JPG
IMG_4305.JPG

Meyer Lemon-Ricotta Pound cake.
I made up a regulation sized recipe and divvied it up amongst four 5"X3" aluminum loaf pans.
I'd rather we had several small cakes as apposed to one large cake... reason: either we'll eat the entire cake in 2 days OR we each have one slice and the rest goes to waste :chef:
Bonus: I'm taking one of these small cakes to Game Day (cards) next door.

Back
Top Bottom