Worcestershire, soy, fish sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How funny, check this out.

Heinz | Our History

The Uk and Americans site isnt the same.

Anyway we leave it as this, I prefer the flavour perrins and you like Emeril sauce.

The wording isn't the same, but the meaning is. Do you not see it? From your source:

"Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce was first created by the Worcester chemists John Wheeley Lea and William Henry Perrins. They devised the recipe in the 1830's when Lord Sandys - a nobleman of the area - was eager to recreate an exciting taste he had acquired on his travels to Bengal."

And from medtran's source:

About us Lea & Perrins ®

"... Returning home from his travels in Bengal, Lord Sandys, a nobleman of the area, was eager to duplicate a recipe he'd acquired. On Lord Sandys' request, two chemists—John Lea and William Perrins—made up the first batch of the sauce..."

Last edited:
I like L&P Worcestershire. I can't say I prefer it over Emeril's as I've never had his, and likely never will.

I was a bit less fond of my wife when she bought the store brand junk. I can't tell her she made a mistake without a heated "discussion", so I just poured most of it down the drain to use it up, and I made sure that I was the one who bought it from then on.

Lea & Perrins is the gold standard here.

Emeril's sauce looks tasty too. :yum:

I'll give it a try someday.

Seems someone way back when was looking for a sauce.

Lea & Perrins came up with a sauce that was named Worcestershire Sauce.

I like that stuff. :chef:

No matter what you name it as long as you like it then it's all good.;)

Oki, Lets agree Lea perrin is fake , a copy and bad? Happy?

Take it easy, CakePoet. No one says it's a fake or bad. Just that Lea and Perrins reproduced something that already existed :)

I actually have French's Worcestershire sauce in my fridge right now. If I don't specify a brand when DH goes shopping, he gets whatever is on sale :LOL: And, to be honest, since we don't use it straight, I don't notice a difference in the flavor.

Funny story: Soon after DH and I first moved in together, he decided to surprise me with a beef roast he had marinated in straight Worcestershire sauce. It's was, unfortunately, inedible. An expensive lesson for a young couple ?

My family went out to a great little dive restaurant with a friend's family recently for their mom's birthday.

Everyone ordered steaks, and when they were served, my buddy asked for their special steak sauce, which ended up being L&P Worcestershire sauce. Their whole family proceeded to drown their steaks in it. Yuk.

I asked for a common type of steak sauce, like A1 or HP, to show them the difference, but the waitress just looked at me like I was from another planet. Apparently, all of the regular customers there use L&P Worcestershire as steak sauce.

It wasn't terrible on a cheap steak, but a little goes a long way. They were using it like au jus for dipping. :huh:

No lea Perrins didnt do something that did exist, they tried and failed and shoved the barrel in the corner and for got about it. So it never became what it was supposed to be, it be came something else. Hence the sauce was born.

Like William Henry Perkin, he failed and made the first aniline dye instead of a cure for Malaria.

About us Lea & Perrins ®

"....Lea and Perrins were not impressed with their initial results. The pair found the taste unpalatable, and simply left the jars in their cellar to gather dust. A few years later, they stumbled across them and decided to taste the contents again. To their delight, the aging process had turned it into a delicious, savory sauce..."

My family went out to a great little dive restaurant with a friend's family recently for their mom's birthday.

Everyone ordered steaks, and when they were served, my buddy asked for their special steak sauce, which ended up being L&P Worcestershire sauce. Their whole family proceeded to drown their steaks in it. Yuk.

I asked for a common type of steak sauce, like A1 or HP, to show them the difference, but the waitress just looked at me like I was from another planet. Apparently, all of the regular customers there use L&P Worcestershire as steak sauce.

It wasn't terrible on a cheap steak, but a little goes a long way. They were using it like au jus for dipping. :huh:

Yuk is right!!:ROFLMAO:

Just as a side note, freshly grated horseradish and grated beets are a delicious side dish. My MIL served it at every holiday meal. It does clear your sinuses right out.

Before she showed me what a horseradish root looks like, I only knew that it came in little jars and was either simply grated or cream style. :chef:

Hmm, I wonder what beets taste like with a splash of Worcestershire sauce?

Quite good, I actually smoke my beets in a stovetop smoker, makes for a lovely salad. I will try them with horseradish.

TBS

I don't know about you mommy, but my mommy cooked with it a lot...

Actually, I've been using soy sauce and fish sauce a lot recently, probably, at least once a week, in stir fries, soups, and dipping sauces. I'm starting to learn to differences between many different soy sauces; Korean, Japanese, and Chinese. There are so many brands of each it's astonishing.
Think of how many brands of ketchup or mayonnaise there are.
Multiply that by 1000 for soy sauce.

My wife despises Worcestershire sauce so I don't use it often. Occasionally hidden in a meat marinade if she's eating it. But My boy and I love it on steamed veggies and raw tomatoes. It was the only way my dad could get me to eat cooked peas, or cauliflower, lima beans, or carrots when I was a kid.

Do yourself a favor and slice up a nice, ripe tomato and douse it with Worcestershire sauce. We love it so much that we end up drinking the remaining sauce, seeds, and mucilage from the plate when the tomatoes are gone.

Craigsy, I'm going to look up Emeril's recipe. I never heard of anyone making their own. Thanks for the heads up.
It's good in Welsh rarebit. For the uninitiated that's a glorified cheese on toast. I'm not patronising anyone - I just don't know whether it has that name where you are.)

Incidentally, you may have heard the legend. The original makers of W. Sauce made it, thought it was disgusting and stashed it in the cellar for a l-o-n-g time (I have no idea why!). They found it a long time afterwards. It tasted wondeful (or not, according to your taste) and made a fortune from it. (http://www.heinz.com/data/pdf/LeaPerrinsTimeline.pdf). Belongs to Heinz now.

True or not, Messrs Lea & Perrins W. Sauce is by far the best - accept no other. Incidentally, it isn't vegetarian friendly as it contains anchovies

It's good in Welsh rarebit. For the uninitiated that's a glorified cheese on toast. I'm not patronising anyone - I just don't know whether it has that name where you are.)

Incidentally, you may have heard the legend. The original makers of W. Sauce made it, thought it was disgusting and stashed it in the cellar for a l-o-n-g time (I have no idea why!). They found it a long time afterwards. It tasted wondeful (or not, according to your taste) and made a fortune from it. (http://www.heinz.com/data/pdf/LeaPerrinsTimeline.pdf). Belongs to Heinz now.

True or not, Messrs Lea & Perrins W. Sauce is by far the best - accept no other. Incidentally, it isn't vegetarian friendly as it contains anchovies

We discussed the "legend" above. They put it away because they didn't like it, came upon it accidentally a few years later, and tasted it again. Aging had improved the flavor.

Thanks, I believe I have that cookbook, if not I soon will.:) I know about grating horseradish, Dad used to harvest some every year...sinus killer. Could smell it for a week after.
I tried to grow some years ago but it didn't take. In view of what i now know I think I'm rather glad!

Back
Top Bottom