What have you had for lunch lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I had to do a repeat of yesterday's lunch.
1727457553696.png
1727457653187.png

1727457884906.png
1727457928934.png
1727458002420.png

Piled high and very messy

1727458060019.png
1727458102610.png

Complete yumminess!

I have been buying Taylor Farms, Ready Pac, and store brand Bistro salads 4 or 5 at a time and having them for lunch. Of course I have to doctor them up with extra lettuce and various mix-ins like raisins, chopped walnuts, almonds that I slice with my mandolin, garbanzo beans, sliced black olives, tomato, croutons, and extra dressing. Sometimes I will add soffrito (raw chopped onion, celery and carrot) or holy trinity (replace the celery with bell pepper), depending on my mood. Of course I always have to move everything to a large glass salad bowl rather than the plastic one the original salad comes in.

emily, you got me looking for one of those recipes. Julia Child and scallops - how can one go wrong? With a quick look I only found 2.

One sliced the sea scallops in half?? what's the point of buying sea scallops if you're going to cut them into little discs? Cooked 1-2 minutes per side, which is fine, but add the wine and then reduce for another 2 or 3 minutes? For scallops already halved, to my way of thinking that right there is 2 or 3 minutes too long! Although there is a comment that "larger scallops are preferred as they can stand up to extra cooking time" to me, yes, maybe, as long as you don't slice them in half!

The next recipe was poached. The sea scallops are poached for about 1.5 minutes. If the scallops are quartered or are bay scallops the time is reduced to 15 to 30 seconds. Bless the chef for the differences! These scallops were also removed in order to reduce the liquids, which sure makes more sense to me. Herbs are then added, scallops returned to reheat and cream is folded in.

As much as I love a good gratin - guess whihc one I will try first.

Back
Top Bottom