What can I do with a cast iron griddle except for pancakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go to a casual restaurant like Dennys, or to a diner, sit at the counter, and watch what their cooks make on the griddle.

I know there is a cast iron (CI, for short) recipe for pizza somewhere. Not sure if it is thin or not. There is also the bread buns that are amazing. Cooked in the oven in a cast iron pan.
This is compliments of member salt and pepper

1/4 cup beer
5 tsp sugar
1 tsp sea salt
2 1/4 tsp yeast + 1 cup water
2 1/2 - 3 1/2 cups of flour
let rise till doubled
on a floured surface cut dough into 8 pcs
roll into balls and place into a lightly greased CI pan. I used a chicken fryer.
brush wth melted butter.
let rise for 20 minutes and place in a preheated 375 degree oven nd bake till golden brown, about 20 minutes. remove from oven and brush with melted butted and a sprinkle of salt.

I think a lot of people cook bacon on them but they need to have a little lip for that I think.

Steaks and burgers of course and blackened fish. I only make blackened snapper about once a year but I always use my iron.

Do you have a picture?
Is it ribbed or flat?

Gotta be flat as otherwise you cant make pancakes on it :unsure:

Pizza is possible, but you won't brown the top, so you might want to finish under the grill or oven.

Otherwise, anything that is not too liquid. Flat bread, eggs, steak etc

Do you have a picture?
Is it ribbed or flat?

Gotta be flat as otherwise you cant make pancakes on it :unsure:

Pizza is possible, but you won't brown the top, so you might want to finish under the grill or oven.

Otherwise, anything that is not too liquid. Flat bread, eggs, steak etc
For pizza, I have seen videos where they heat the griddle and put the crust, sauce, and toppings and then put it in the oven.

edit: no, I haven't seen it done with a CI griddle, only with a CI skillet. I think it would work even better with a round, flat bottomed griddle.

It seems like the correct spelling is "griddle." You've written it accurately. If your griddle is round and made of cast iron, that's a common and versatile type. Enjoy cooking on it!

I have silicone rings that I use on my griddle to contain eggs. But I've done them without the rings, just need to keep pushing the whites in til they firm up a bit.
I've also cut out holes in bread slices to cook them in.
Quail Eggs in Pumperknickel.
20220417_081211.jpg

My griddle is oblong. One side is ribbed and the other is flat with a lip.

All of the above uses, except for the violent ones :brows: of course. It would make a great alternative to a pizza stone in the oven.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom