So I finally got a enameled cast iron Dutch oven!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So it's nothing super fancy but I picked up a enameled lodge dutch oven...no it's not the USA made enamel from them but it's still pretty nice. The finish is not where most others...(much higher cost also) but I'm not that concerned about exterior looks. Tomorrow I will use it for the first time and see what I thinkView attachment 66865View attachment 66866View attachment 66867
Looks great! You don't need an expensive fancy one. I suppose they are very nice, but I have several knock off ones (one large one, one medium size, and two small--not sure the exact size and I am too lazy to go look, LOL) that work perfectly fine. They are pretty and durable, and you can't beat them for even heat and cooking. I love using my large one for big batches of homemade chicken soup! The medium one for smaller batches, and the little ones really don't get used as much but they are handy for making corn bread, sauces, etc.

One good feature I noticed about your DO is the metal handle - many, even expensive ones, have the plastic handle, which, if you want to use at very high temperatures for baking bread, you have to replace it with metal! And that's something that bakes great in a pot like that, lined with parchment
You don’t need to replace it with metal. You just unscrew it for baking bread.

Not when I bought one! :LOL: It was by a known brand - LC - and only $6 something, back in the 90s sometime when I got it (about 10 years after the Dutch ovens). That was years before the high heat method for baking bread in the Dutch ovens became popular, which raised the price of those greatly.

Last edited:
My enamelled cast iron is a Danish brand, Copco, no longer made. I think the pots are gorgeous. The handles are cast at the same time as the pots and lids. They are also covered in enamel. The handles/knobs on the lids to the frying pans are screwed on and some sort of metal that is enamelled. The handles on the frying pans are wood.

I have some Copco pans (two gratin pans and 3 small saucepans) I got back in the late 70s, early 80s, and the bottoms of all but one of them are raw cast iron. Two of the saucepan handles are also wood, as you describe. I always liked the Copco pans - I figured that they were bought out by some other company, as it wasn't the lack of quality that made them go under.

The enameled Dutch oven is wonderful. Lodge is also a great company that stands behind their products. My first Dutch oven had a flaw in the enamel which did not make itself known until several uses. Lodge customer service was helpful and arranged for a replacement.

I have some Copco pans (two gratin pans and 3 small saucepans) I got back in the late 70s, early 80s, and the bottoms of all but one of them are raw cast iron. Two of the saucepan handles are also wood, as you describe. I always liked the Copco pans - I figured that they were bought out by some other company, as it wasn't the lack of quality that made them go under.
Most of mine are the ones with "raw iron" bottoms. I have one or two with the bottoms enamelled too. Mine were all bought in Copenhagen, at the once or twice a year special they used to have. They would sell "seconds" at bargain prices. But, if you spent a little time looking, you could find the ones that seem to have been firsts that were mis-sorted. The company seemed to care more that no seconds ended up with the firsts than that no firsts ended up with the seconds.

I wonder which ones are older, the raw iron bottom ones or the enamelled bottom ones. I got some of my current collection from my mum's estate and I don't know when she bought them. The ones I had before that were all bought in the 1970s and were nekkid bottomed. I'm going to guess those are the older of the two styles. It's just that I vaguely, and possibly mistakenly, remember enamel bottomed ones from the early 1970s, when I lived in Copenhagen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom