What are you eating Thursday, October 10, 2024?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Tovala meals of cheese tortellini with Italian sausage ragu.

20241010_173217.jpg

Very green smoothie (thank you garden kale) and stir fry/veggie rice for me, stir fry/veggie rice, air fried french fries w/baked beans for him.
Dessert: Chocolate Silk Pie (which will be set in 2 hours)

We used to have a Baker's Square (franchised restaurant) near where I grew up. They made the most decadent Chocolate Silk Pie (or was it called French Silk Pie?) It had shaved chocolate on top.

I made a sandwich with a planned leftover of breaded haddock on whole wheat toast with lettuce and mayo. I added a couple of gherkins and some "hot antipasto veggies" to the plate so there would be a bit of veg. It hit the spot and wasn't more effort that I could manage. I was kinda pooped out.

2024-10-10 Sandwich of whole wheat toast with breaded haddock, lettuce, and mayo with gherkins...jpg

We used to have a Baker's Square (franchised restaurant) near where I grew up. They made the most decadent Chocolate Silk Pie (or was it called French Silk Pie?) It had shaved chocolate on top.
French silk and chocolate silk are pretty much interchangeable. I make a meringue crust for mine since the first one I had was made that way.

Tonight was a good time to make some soup, and I had a lb of cremini mushrooms I got a while back, to do something like this with. I started by soaking an ounce of dried boletus in some hot water, then cut up a large onion, and started cooking it in a few tb of olive oil, in the Instant Pot, on medium Sauté, and let that cook about 6 or 7 minutes, while mincing up 4 large cloves of garlic with a generous amount of fresh rosemary (at least 3 tb), and not quite as much fresh sage. I also blended 24 oz of tomatoes to a fine purée. I then added the garlic and herbs to the onion, stirred about a minute, then poured in the purée, and let that come to a simmer, while rinsing the soaked boletus, and mincing them, and I strained the water into the Vitamix, to rinse the purée out, then poured it into the IP, along with the minced boletus, and a quart of low salt chicken broth. I salted it using some soy sauce, added at least a half tsp of black pepper, and 3/4 c pearled barley, and mixed well. I cooked it on Manual, for 20 minutes, and let the pressure release naturally. This allowed me to wash the creminis, quarter them, then brown them, and when the pressure was released, I stirred in the cremini, and about half a cup of red lentils, and cooked on Manual 8, and let the pressure release naturally. The thickness from the barley and lentils was perfect, and I added some grated Asiago, to finish it.
A pound of cremini mushrooms, quartered and browned, waiting for the barley to cook, before adding, to cook with the red lentils. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished soup, with cremini, dried boletus, some barley, and red lentils, to thicken it. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom