What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
won tons.jpg
this is the simplest and fasted way, at least for me.

I am remaining stoic, while my husband and his brother worry about my mother-in-law. Well, I'm worrying too but trying to maintain for them. She's in the hospital. She had a stroke. They found a brain tumour. She isn't strong enough for surgery. It's looking pretty bad.

Thanks Andy and dragnlaw.

DH had a chance to talk to his mum's doctor. They are hoping to stabilize her so they can start treating the tumours (she has one on or in her kidney too.) Unfortunately, they can't do an MRI. She has a pace maker that is one of the models that shouldn't go into an MRI. :ermm:

Taxlady, your MIL is in good medical hands, and you and your husband and his brother have done all you can. Please take care of yourselves too, and feel confident your MIL knows you care so very much.

Well they came out good. I did not know the wrappers needed to be at room temp when I tried to make a single one. It cracked. Then I looked it up and sure enough they are supposed to be at room temp.
I used a very thin egg wash to seal and that might have been overkill. I'm sure water would work as well. I used water on my test wonton and it did not open.
I could not get the the points together so they were triangles. Problem with that is the wonton get so soft, you cannot pick up a whole dumpling to eat it. I may have put to much filling in? I used about a tablespoon. I didn't measure and used the end of a butter knife.
I have filling left and half the wontons. So I will try to make them in the correct shape.
Update:
I finished assembling the wontons/dumplings yesterday. I still made triangles. Much easier as I think I am using to much inside them. Went fast.
So, for lunch I decided to fry a few. Frozen triangles in non stick pan with about 1 tbls water and oil. Fried until crispy. This is how I will present them from now on. They were great. The mixture inside was great.
I had some bottled Teriyaki sauce to dip in. I loved them.
Now I need a good dipping sauce recipe. Thanks in Advance.

Funny that you fried them, I have only ever boiled them for Won Ton Soup. My soups have everything in them tho, from the won tons themselves to bok choys/spinach, spring onions/chives, sometimes mushrooms, and the spices can be anything from hot chili oil, black vinegar, sesame oil, just open the asian cupboard and have at it!
But simplest of all is just chicken broth, won tons, chives or scallions sprinkled. That's my go to when I want something but don't know what.

Update:
I finished assembling the wontons/dumplings yesterday. I still made triangles. Much easier as I think I am using to much inside them. Went fast.
So, for lunch I decided to fry a few. Frozen triangles in non stick pan with about 1 tbls water and oil. Fried until crispy. This is how I will present them from now on. They were great. The mixture inside was great.
I had some bottled Teriyaki sauce to dip in. I loved them.
Now I need a good dipping sauce recipe. Thanks in Advance.

I'll post our 2 favorite ones in a recipe thread.

I am remaining stoic, while my husband and his brother worry about my mother-in-law. Well, I'm worrying too but trying to maintain for them. She's in the hospital. She had a stroke. They found a brain tumour. She isn't strong enough for surgery. It's looking pretty bad.
Ah Taxy,
My heart goes out to you. So sorry to hear about your Mother in law.
If I could I'd be giving you the biggest hug right now.

And yes, I believe that my MIL is in good hands. She lives in Cornwall Ontario. The local hospital there sent her to a hospital in Ottawa that has a dedicated neurological department. From what DH told me about his conversation with the doctor taking care of her case, he seems very competent and reasonable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom