Unconventional pizza toppings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Leeks and porchetta, Pecorino Romano. ETA: forgot, immediately after pizza comes out of oven, Crack several eggs around, break yolk and tilt to set whites and yolks.

Fig jam, blue cheese and prosciutto, DH loves this.

Crawfish, roasted red bell, andouille, apricot glaze, red onions, fontina and moz.

Last edited:
Pineapple OMG again with the pineapple bashing. lol.

Our pizzas are low fat for the most part, and we sprinkle a vegan parmesan on them which is essentially nutritional yeast, nu-salt (or salt), and ground up cashews. Some recipes for vegan parmesan have more ingredients. Hemp seed, onion powder, garlic powder, italian herbs, pepper flakes, all optional.

It gives it a different texture, and some flavors.

I don't do unconventional things with pizza, as a rule... however, I did make weird pizza for a challenge once, and it was way out there. But, it was actually invented in Italy, and is famous in one city there.

CD

Not sure how uncommon it is, but arugula sure tastes good on a plan cheese slice. I once brought in a bunch of arugula for a friend on a day we were having a meeting at work ( where we ordered a bunch of pies). I saw her grab a bunch of arugula and put it on her slice . At first I was taken back, as I've never done it before. tried it myself, and loved it. Now I do it every chance I get .

Not sure how uncommon it is, but arugula sure tastes good on a plan cheese slice. I once brought in a bunch of arugula for a friend on a day we were having a meeting at work ( where we ordered a bunch of pies). I saw her grab a bunch of arugula and put it on her slice . At first I was taken back, as I've never done it before. tried it myself, and loved it. Now I do it every chance I get .

I hate kale, but do like arugula. I've never tried it on pizza, but may need to. Sounds good.

BTW, is it arugula or rocket in Canada?

CD

I like BLT pizzas, which is considered 'weird' by some folks. I make a BLT pizza at home sometimes. Instead of sauce, the crust is spread with mayonnaise and I bake it with the bacon and tomato. Then once it's done, I add a bumload of chopped iceberg lettuce, then stick it back in the oven for just a couple of minutes. I don't know why, but I like the lettuce slightly wilted.

One of my favorite pizzas to make at home, besides a veggie.

A traditional Margherita will do for me, thank you😃.
I've never tried a Rossini, invented in Central Italy as a tribute to the composer who was born there. The mayonnaise should be homemade, though . 😁

One which we consider unconventional is pizza with chips and frankfurters 🙂, I'd never choose it🙄.
Of course ham and pineapple are very unconventional but it's only offered in some pizzerias because of tourist demand 🙂.

I like BLT pizzas, which is considered 'weird' by some folks. I make a BLT pizza at home sometimes. Instead of sauce, the crust is spread with mayonnaise and I bake it with the bacon and tomato. Then once it's done, I add a bumload of chopped iceberg lettuce, then stick it back in the oven for just a couple of minutes. I don't know why, but I like the lettuce slightly wilted.

One of my favorite pizzas to make at home, besides a veggie.

I like the sound of the B and T part, not sure about the L part. I do love grilled romaine lettuce, so I certainly see the potential. Have you tried romaine instead of iceberg? I think it is the iceberg part I worry about. How does it stand up to the heat of the oven?

I sprinkle romaine lettuce leaves with some EVOO and fresh black pepper, and toss it on the grill. I did not invent that -- a lot of people have been doing that for years.

I can certainly see a BLT pizza being a good thing. Certainly nothing weird about it.

CD

A traditional Margherita will do for me, thank you😃.
I've never tried a Rossini, invented in Central Italy as a tribute to the composer who was born there. The mayonnaise should be homemade, though . 😁

One which we consider unconventional is pizza with chips and frankfurters 🙂, I'd never choose it🙄.
Of course ham and pineapple are very unconventional but it's only offered in some pizzerias because of tourist demand 🙂.

I am glad that you verified that a Pizza Rossini is a real thing, and I did not know it was named for the composer. I did not make the mayonnaise myself.

That was one of the most unusual things I've ever cooked. I did it for a challenge, and it got a lot of attention... not all good. :ROFLMAO:

CD

20221224_211334.jpg

Back
Top Bottom