Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I picked most of the Thai Vesuvius that were ripe, or turning, and a lot of ripening Arunas. And the first ripe Red Habanero, and 3 ripe Datil peppers. Also got about a half dozen ripe Hanoi Markets, but unfortunately, those, and the other peppers under cover looked like they came down with a blight or something like what happens with tomatoes! And those, and the Thai Vesuvius (which also was not doing well), had ants all over them, which would come back, despite whatever I would do to kill them. The Thai Dragons right next to the Vesuvius, had no problems, so I think the Vesuvius were weakened when they were blown over in a wind storm in the spring; killed the Aji Dulce, and one Tomato, but blew a bunch of things over, despite being staked. Next season I'll have to use large stakes from the beginning, even when I know they won't be that tall!
Peppers from August 2nd, first habanero, first 3 datil, several more Hanoi Markets, mostly Aruna. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Just harvested some Coscia pears. I couldn't pick them all, as they were being invaded by loads of bumblebees, so I had to leave before I'd finshed😈. Or are these monsters called hornets? I'm not sure of the translation, we caIl them calabroni, I wouldn't want one of their stings! 😳They can be fatal for anyone allergic to insect bites,I'm not, but don't wanna risk🙄.

Attachments

• IMG_20240803_101754.jpg
    IMG_20240803_101754.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 18
Gorgeous Pears, how yummy!

Merle, think you are right to avoid them. They sure aren't bumblebees -
According to Wiki. "calabroni" translates to :-

European hornet (Vespa crabro) is the largest eusocial wasp native to Europe.

This species stings in response to being stepped on or grabbed, but generally avoids conflict. It is also defensive of its nest and can be aggressive around food sources. Care should be taken when they are found in these circumstances, as they may sting without warning. European hornets are largely carnivorous and hunt large insects such as beetles, wasps, large moths, dragonflies, and mantises.[4][5][6][7][8] They also feed on fallen fruit and other sources of sugary food.[2] Mutual predation between medium-sized hornets and the Asilidae (robber flies) is often reported.

I remember watching Emeril years ago and he made a parfait kind dish with pears , the pears were diced and slightly cooked in a caramel sauce . the caramel pears where then layered in a parfait cup with cubes of pour cake and whipped cream. I made it a few times , back in the day, and it was delicious.

I do not like getting stung by wasps. Really. One year there was a large wasps nest in our patio furniture. I got stung about 10 times on my face, scalp, and ears. I got more stings than just on my head. That was the worst time. My face puffed up a bit.

OMG - that sounds sooo good! Thank you Larry!
Will I make it? Who knows, maybe if pears come on special. But I do have it saved anyhow - 'cause yuh never know!

I CopyMT'd it and the picture inserted was of his shoes! :LOL: so now I will have to make it if only to get a proper picture! :LOL:

I didn't have all the necessary ingredients to try one of your suggestions @dragnlaw and @larry_stewart, but I have noted down those recipes, for my next shopping list. 🙂
For the moment, I've just prepared a quick, simple chocolate pear dessert.
I cooked the pears in syrup (water lemon, sugar).
I made the chocolate sauce by heating milk with sugar, then adding this to a cocoa powder and flour mix in a bowl. I returned to the heat, stirring until sauce thickened.
Not as interesting as your suggestions. 🤗

Attachments

• IMG_20240805_081005.jpg
    IMG_20240805_081005.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom