Sunday Oct. 6, '24 Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I rather think it is what you grew up with. As you say casey, it has taken on a life of its own.
Mom made chili with Red Kidney beans, onions, tomatoes, ground beef... and chili powder of course. I never heard of it without kidney beans until about 20 years ago.

Edit:
No apology needed Jade! You can call your dish whatever your little heart desires. It is your creation after all. If it is along the lines of a dish that people can identify with then of course you should include that name. It helps people imagine what it must taste like.
:whistling and of course the pictures help!

Last edited:
I rather think it is what you grew up with. As you say casey, it has taken on a life of its own.
Mom made chili with Red Kidney beans, onions, tomatoes, ground beef... and chili powder of course. I never heard of it without kidney beans until about 20 years ago.
That's exactly how my mother made it, except she used light red kidney beans. I still make mine that way. Craig makes his.

I did find one chili that we both liked, frito pie, using a new to us recipe for Texan chili using lots of ancho chile powder and cumin. Pretty darn good chili.

I am here to apologise. I used “turkey con carne” as an identifier on what the dish was, rather than brush up on my non-existent Spanish. In Australia, whenever you use the word “chilli” everyone expects to have their head blown off by culinary heat!! Even Tabasco is challenging and best left for that dash in your Bloody Mary.
I use heat when it’s called for, not as a challenge, but as the dish wants.
I’m a Thai dedicated cook after all, so heat is expected.
I guess to many of us, even who don't speak any Spanish, it just jumps out, because we know that "carne" is meat. It made the name look pretty funny. Another one of those culinary confusions that occurs between the various forms of English. I was shocked the first time I heard of tempering spices by heating in oil or ghee. I think of culinary tempering as something you do with chocolate or to carefully incorporate raw egg into a hot liquid without curdling.

And as dragnlaw wrote, no need to apologize. I only meant to poke some fun, not to make you feel bad.

Last edited:
True, that.
I remember having a bit of a chuckle when I first heard about “laminating” pasta because I didn’t really want to encase it in a heated plastic sleeve.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom