Mon. Aug. 19th, '24 National Potato Day, Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@rodentraiser I hope you feel better soon. Some restaurants add lard to the beans to give them another layer of flavor and make them creamy. The lard is melted at body temperature and floats to the top of the stomach acids.
Refried beans are traditionally made with lard. Cause, you know, that was 1 of the few cooking fat items back in the day.

@CarolPa Mr bliss also loves air fried 'french fries' and he will even make them himself. (and that's saying something)
In the movie The Martian, he grows potatoes on mars, we call that movie the Potato Man Movie.
There is also a man in Australia that ate potatoes every day for a year with scarce condiments, got healthy and lost over 100 lbs. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ng-POTATOES-turned-bizarre-diet-business.html

Peru has so many kinds of potatoes.
potatoes.jpg

I would like to grow a few of these to try different varieties not available in our stores.

Well I am sad to say that National Potato day passed without me making anything with my four red potatoes. Maybe some of you are disappointed.

I think of myself as a pretty creative guy, but apparently not creative enough. I just didn't know what to do with them on short notice, and only four of them.

I now have four red potatoes that are looking at me and are wondering what their destiny will be. Hopefully it will be something glorious, and they will not suffer the ingnignity of being tossed in the garbage.

CD

What??? why on this little green earth would you make those darling little taters suffer like that!
Shame on you, Mr. Casey.
For lack of anything else, wash, quarter, oil a tiny bit (if that's your thing) and toss into an oven. Be it a toaster oven, full sized oven or grill.
Wash, slice toss into the frypan before the eggs. Add some bacon.

They will thank you.
last - but not least!
They will reward you. (in the form of extra blubber to keep you warm in the coming cold winter)

What??? why on this little green earth would you make those darling little taters suffer like that!
Shame on you, Mr. Casey.
For lack of anything else, wash, quarter, oil a tiny bit (if that's your thing) and toss into an oven. Be it a toaster oven, full sized oven or grill.
Wash, slice toss into the frypan before the eggs. Add some bacon.

They will thank you.
last - but not least!
They will reward you. (in the form of extra blubber to keep you warm in the coming cold winter)

I just spent over a month losing 15 pounds of blubber, and I am looking forward to another season when it is not 110F.

My first thought was to make some roasted red potatoes. But then I remembered I'd need to heat my oven to 400F for a significant amount of time. I'm sure you can figure out the problem with that.

I still have them on my countertop. I have a few ideas. Just got to get off my lazy a$$ and do something. That's hard to do when you are 63 years old and it is 110F outside.

CD

I just spent over a month losing 15 pounds of blubber, and I am looking forward to another season when it is not 110F.

My first thought was to make some roasted red potatoes. But then I remembered I'd need to heat my oven to 400F for a significant amount of time. I'm sure you can figure out the problem with that.

I still have them on my countertop. I have a few ideas. Just got to get off my lazy a$$ and do something. That's hard to do when you are 63 years old and it is 110F outside.

CD
I hope those potatoes on your counter top are not getting any sunlight. You don't want them turning green and making a lot of glycoalkaloids.

@caseydog those orphaned potatoes.
I don't envy you the heat you've been living in!

The microwave won't heat up the house, right? Microwave the potatoes.
Boil a few eggs, make a bit of egg salad. Cut the potatoes in half, use a melon baller to scoop out a scoop of potato, mix the potato scoops into the egg salad. Fill the potato shells with egg/potato salad, decorate with dill or smoked paprika, refrigerate, eat at your leisure?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom