Soup Season, anyone got any upcoming soup plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My lentil soup was kind of bland and we ate it with rice. I cooked up some potatoes and mushrooms today and added those to it. I like it better with potatoes than with rice. (rice seems more porridge-y) We also added tortilla strips on the side, for crunch and more texture.

We had soup & sandwich for lunch today. I wasn't sure where to place this post, so, if I got it wrong, feel free to move it. I wanted to try out my new Pocket Sandwich maker and thought that soup would go well with that. I made a "cream of potato" quick soup. 1-1/2 cups of chicken broth, seasoned with salt, white pepper and dill...brought that to a boil and then added 1-1/2 cups of O'Brien Hash Browns from the freezer. Let that cook, meanwhile, I melted 2 Tablespoons of butter, whisked in 2 Tablespoons of AP Flour to make a roux...then added 1 cup of milk, whisk until thickened and bubbly. Once the potatoes were cooked, I used a stick blender to grind up about half of the potatoes and then added the milk mixture, presto, cream of potato soup. It was perfect! We enjoyed it with the grilled cheese pockets! Yum.

We had soup & sandwich for lunch today. I wasn't sure where to place this post, so, if I got it wrong, feel free to move it. I wanted to try out my new Pocket Sandwich maker and thought that soup would go well with that. I made a "cream of potato" quick soup. 1-1/2 cups of chicken broth, seasoned with salt, white pepper and dill...brought that to a boil and then added 1-1/2 cups of O'Brien Hash Browns from the freezer. Let that cook, meanwhile, I melted 2 Tablespoons of butter, whisked in 2 Tablespoons of AP Flour to make a roux...then added 1 cup of milk, whisk until thickened and bubbly. Once the potatoes were cooked, I used a stick blender to grind up about half of the potatoes and then added the milk mixture, presto, cream of potato soup. It was perfect! We enjoyed it with the grilled cheese pockets! Yum.
Maybe you could have it moved to the lunch thread.

I've been preparing for soup season. With a second wave of tomatoes, I've been ,making ( and freezing ) tomato soup. I made a few quarts of pea soup, earlier in the year, which I froze for later consumption. Had potato soup last week ( trying to get rid of all the potatoes we have), corm chowder is on my list. for this week when I get around to it. Also had borscht last week. Waiting for the mushrooms to kick in, then I'll make mushroom barley. And for my birthday ( which is coming up in a few weeks), My son always gets me a ridiculously large bag of onions ( either for my birthday or fathers day), so I'll make onion soup ( and caramelized onions) out of them. I love soup.

Maybe you could have it moved to the lunch thread.

I considered that one too...but thought, there's a recipe...so maybe soup thread is better fit?

The door. of my outside freezer is primarily where I keep my soups. Got pea, tomato and gazpacho. In addition, the reddish ones are actually currents that I ran through a mill, waiting to be turned into jam. My freezer is at full capacity.

Attachments

• Soup.png
    Soup.png
    859.4 KB · Views: 6
I should can some habitant soup (or split pea soup) because I really really like it and mr bliss doesn't. On a cold winter day, it warms me up and it is filling.
Nice organization there @larry_stewart

I should can some habitant soup (or split pea soup) because I really really like it and mr bliss doesn't. On a cold winter day, it warms me up and it is filling.
Nice organization there @larry_stewart
You should see what the rest of the freezer looks like :LOL: . Every time I open it I fearing covered by an avalanche of frozen food. Still stuff coming out of the garden, is I'm taking advantage of the fresh stuff until I cant get it anymore. Then we'll start working on emptying the freezer.

Oh, sorry, I put it in the Monday dinner thread. I'm making potato, cheese, and bacon soup.

I made a recipe for something like Gratin Camp potatoes a while back and it came out way too thin but tasted delicious, so this time I adapted it to the potato, cheese, and bacon soup I usually make. If it wants to be soup, let it be soup. LOL

I made soup for supper too. It was a dumpling (an Asian style of dumplings) soup. We enjoyed it, but it will get my changes next time.

Soon I'll be making a batch of cremini barley soup, since I just bought 2 lbs of them at Aldi's today. I might cook just those, then freeze half of them, and continue with the rest of the soup - takes up much less space in the freezer that way.

It's still too hot here for more than a soup or stew every few weeks. Craig is going to make green chile stew in next few days. Hot and sour soup is going to be next in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom