Sick stomach after cooking chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jobaba

Assistant Cook
Question for more experienced cooks about cooking chicken.

Recently, I've been cooking a lot more as I'm solo and trying to save $. One of my usuals is chicken thighs.

There have been a number of occasions where I have woke up in the morning feeling stomach sick, and have moderate diarrhea. I can still go to work, though it's not fun.

In my mind, it was because the chicken was slightly undercooked. I used to use an air fryer, so instead I switched to an oven and I think that helped. So instead of cooking at say 350 deg for 30 min in an air fryer etc, I started cooking at 400 deg for 40 minutes and even though the chicken comes out looking overcooked I'd rather be safe.

But yesterday, I got some bone in, and cooked 400 for 40 min and felt sick this morning. Was the bone the difference?

I would like to get an opinion on whether undercooking chicken by a little bit should have this effect on people and if so, what to do about it? My main concern is creating sustenance for the week, so I'm open to all suggestions. I can even switch cooking methods or meat if need be, but would like not to switch to beef.

I would add for anybody who reads this that this whole time I've assumed ovens work by convection. In other words, it doesn't matter if you cook 1/2 lb of chicken of 2.5 pounds, the temp and time are the same. But usually I cook 2 pounds at a time

First of all, you need to stop guessing when the chicken is cooked through. Buy a digital instant read thermometer (less than $20.) and check the internal temp in a few places. 160ºF to 165ºF is considered safe.
For chicken thighs, I prefer the meat be cooked to a higher temperature for a better texture. Cook them to 185ºF. To speed the cooking of a bone-in thigh, cut a slit along both sides of the thigh bone so heat can better penetrate the interior.
As medtran said, there is the possibility the meat is not fresh and could be the problem. Once meat has started to spoil. cooking it will NOT make it safe.

Ditto to both Andy and medtran's comments.

Your chicken should be cooked within 2 or 3 days from bringing it home from the store. If not able to cook within that time - throw it in the freezer!

And should be eaten within 2 to 3 days after cooking.

Should be refrigerated within approx. an hour after cooking. In this summer heat we've been having across most of North America it is important to pay attention to that.

in the hot summer, 3 days might be too long from the store to being cooked. I know it is for us.

First of all, you need to stop guessing when the chicken is cooked through. Buy a digital instant read thermometer (less than $20.) and check the internal temp in a few places. 160ºF to 165ºF is considered safe.
For chicken thighs, I prefer the meat be cooked to a higher temperature for a better texture. Cook them to 185ºF. To speed the cooking of a bone-in thigh, cut a slit along both sides of the thigh bone so heat can better penetrate the interior.
As medtran said, there is the possibility the meat is not fresh and could be the problem. Once meat has started to spoil. cooking it will NOT make it safe.

Taxy, I'd go higher on thighs. They have more intramuscular fat, and won't dry out qt 175, or even higher.

BTW, The My fried chicken sandwich Wednesday day had me feeling sick all day Thursday. I probed it all over ind it was done. I don't know what happened. My next step in an oil change for the deep fryer.

CD

Last edited:
I need to cook my chicken thighs until they are around 175 to 195 degrees Fahrenheit or they do not set well with me. People say, "Oh, that is too high and you will overcook them." Maybe...but I have yet for someone to turn down dinner because I cook them that high. 165 degrees always tastes undercooked to me.

That is not too much for thighs. Breasts would be dry and tough, but thighs can take it.

I also have issues with chicken thighs if I don't cook them to at least 175F. I feel a bit nauseated. I don't actually get sick, but just don't feel right. Perhaps the intramuscular fat doesn't fully render at a lower temperature? I don't know.

CD

That's interesting that some folks have to make sure the chicken thighs get cooked to well over 165°F. I'll have to start paying attention. I know there have been times that the chicken thighs were a little weird, as though they were a bit under cooked. Never worried about that, since I always use an instant read thermometer to make sure that they were cooked to at least 165°F.

According to what I've learned, the only reason to cook thighs beyond 165ºF is to improve the texture for the meat. It has nothing to do with food safety.

According to what I've learned, the only reason to cook thighs beyond 165ºF is to improve the texture for the meat. It has nothing to do with food safety.

I agree that a higher temperature for thighs improves texture. I've noticed that.

CD

I am wondering if the way chickens are raised have something to do with the stomach problems...

I actually normally cook my chicken over charcoal fire and even the breast meat does not get dry. Or I use it in a stew/curry and it definitely doesn't

Another clue to check if chicken thighs are cooked properly is to see if the meat comes off easily from the bone.
I hardly ever cook chicken in the Summer months because it's a long, slow-cooking procedure, for more than an hour, whether it's in the oven or pan cooked.
Unless I grill thin slices of chicken breast, or fry them coated in batter and breadcrumbs. This is much quicker.
Let's say it's easier to cook chicken without bone, but it must be fresh to start with. I agree that it shouldn't be kept in the fridge for too long, either cook it the same day, the day after at the latest or freeze it.
You should check on the packet at the supermarket to see how long it's already been in their refrigerator! 😀I only buy it if it's been packed the same day. Unless you have a reliable butcher's near you that you can trust.

Thank you for all the replies.

I will improve my meat handling and I have already procured a thermometer.

It's been pork chops for the past few days, but chicken legs tonight.

I'll cross my fingers!!

Back
Top Bottom