Sunday September 15, 2024. Football and food day. Did your team win, and what did you eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
I made a pot of beans, and had rice and beans for dinner. That's a pretty common meal in Texas and much of the Southern US.

Mine were black beens, simmered with sautéed chopped onions and garlic, and seasoned with salt, black pepper and homemade chili powder.

1726457669973.jpeg

...and my Steelers won.

CD

Last edited:
Mexican-SW-Asian pork belly tacos with Mexican rice. I cured the pork belly with Ancho powder, cumin, coriander, a touch of cayenne, and salt of course, roasted until tender. Crisped up the pork belly before making the tacos. Condiments for the tacos were sriracha mayo, pickled red onions, cilantro, avocado, and an Asian slaw with carrots and radish, dressed with a garlic-ginger-tamari-sesame oil-touch of mayo dressing. I winged the rice and it was some of the best Mexican rice we've ever had.
20240915_184455.jpg

I took the last loaf of rye bread out of the freezer, and had some sandwiches, and the last leftovers. After one of the sandwiches, and while waiting for the shade to get over the entire garden, I made a batch of gazpacho, as I was planning to do, though it only put a dent in the tomatoes I had! And I was going to pick another 3 qts later. Here's the 4 qt bowl with the gazpacho, plus the diced cuke and red bell pepper, to chill for tomorrow.
Another batch of gazpacho, only thing I had to buy for it again was the bell peppers. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I had half a can of a really nice lentil and veggies soup. This time I put it in a plastic food storage container. I learned my lesson about storing the soup in the can in the fridge. I had a sandwich with the soup - Wholegrain wheat toast, the rest of the confit chicken leg, mayo, and lettuce. No pictures.

Looks like this: Mine were black beens, simmered with sautéed chopped onions and garlic, and seasoned with salt, black pepper and homemade chili powder.
Vegetarian-yes.
Vegan-yes.
WFPB, Whole food plant based-yes.

No oil? It was sauteed, with oil or water?

Seriously, it's good, really good, beans and rice are a staple in many parts of the world by healthy people that live long year into their 80's and 90's.

Fat Pork Sausages I picked up from the market. Perfectly seasoned, slightly smokey (not too much!). Potatoes, green beans.
still have 3 sausages, think I'll freeze them, individually. Might cut one in half for 2 pkg of 1.5 each. Found 2 sausages a tiny bit too much but 1 would have left me wanting.

A small amount of avocado oil.

CD
vegetarian, yes, vegan, yes, wfpb doesn't use oils.
They say that every meal you eat is either feeding your health or feeding disease.
Your meal is feeding your health, may you live to see many healthy years ahead! :)

Natto and steamed kale bowl. Raspberry nice cream w/hot cocoa powder (so good). Watermelon.
When you write "hot cocoa powder" do you mean, that it's powder for making hot cocoa or do you mean, that the powder is hot, like it has hot pepper powder mixed in? Or maybe something else?

@taxlady use the hot cocoa powder you might use to mix with hot water to drink hot cocoa. We usually make hot cocoa with almond milk, so it is just cocoa and sugar (or other granulated sweetener).
I never thought of it that way, excellent observation. The words aren't exactly descriptive enough.

@taxlady use the hot cocoa powder you might use to mix with hot water to drink hot cocoa. We usually make hot cocoa with almond milk, so it is just cocoa and sugar (or other granulated sweetener).
I never thought of it that way, excellent observation. The words aren't exactly descriptive enough.
Maybe you should try with the that powder and a little bit of powdered chilis. ;)

@taxlady I might have to try a little bit of serrano powder the next time.
I had been trying to overcome a craving for cherry balls, a candy, which we don't have in the house. Nothing was helping. The raspberry nice-cream hit the 'sour berry' flavor for me, the sweetener, hit the sweetness for me, so I was pleased. The craving was gone.
Mr bliss said the next time he has that dessert he's going to mix the cocoa powder with a little water, then use it like a syrup on the nice cream.

Don't know that I'd use serrano powder. I'd probably use ancho or kashmiri, or if you want really spicy, a teeny tiny amount of ghost pepper powder or flakes. I make white chocolate, macadamia nut bark with a sprinkling of Hawaiian pink salt and ghost pepper flakes

@medtran49, The serrano might be too hot for me. I have a hot sauce I made from it but I only use a little and get enough hotness for me. Maybe korean chili flakes or new mexico anaheim, neither is super hot.

Back
Top Bottom