September 24, 2024, Tuesday, whatcha eatin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Tovala meals of pasta and broccoli Alfredo with homemade mini garlic loaves.
20240924_185336.jpg

I'm going to have leftovers from yesterday's tray bake.

And, I just noticed what time it is - 21:15 EDT. I will go have that supper right now.
I leftovers from yesterday's tray bake. About half of the veg, the half a sausage, and about half of the chicken thigh. I also finished off the rice pilaf that was leftover from the Greek resto delivery. Truly excellent chocolate ice cream for dessert. And now I am off to start a supper thread for yesterday.

I made a longtime favorite of mine - something made with Swiss chard, which I harvested about 15 large leaves from yesterday. It's a recipe from Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen - Veracruz-Style Greens And Beans, with Red Chile and Dumplings. It's made by simply cooking a lb of black beans, cooked in salted water until almost totally done, and preparing the rest, while doing this. This was a seasoning paste, using toasted chiles, blended with garlic and onion, cooked down, and added to cook 30 more minutes with the beans. The dumplings are made with some masa harina, cilantro, oil, crumbled queso fresco, and a little water - I made a note next to recipe that dumplings were a little soft, so I've always used a little less water. I've also used different greens - kohlrabi greens, cauliflower greens, senposai, and others, besides chard. The dumplings are cooked several minutes, the chard is stirred in and cooked about 5 more minutes, another half cup of cilantro is stirred in, and it's finished. Served with some toasted corn tortillas; good, but not necessary, with the dumplings.
Chiles toasted for the Veracruz beans - 5 moritas, and the bottom of the ancho jar. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Sauce from the moritas, anchos, garlic, and onion, ground up with a little water, ready to cook down. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Chile paste, cooked down about 7 minutes, in just a little oil, then added to the cooked black beans, to cook about 30 minutes, while getting the rest ready. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

One of the many Swiss Chard leaves, to be cut up, for the Veracruz black beans. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Dumplings made of masa, cilantro, and queso fresco, with a little salt and oil. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The Chard, ready to stir into the Veracruz black beans, after simmering the dumplings briefly. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished Veracruz black beans, with greens and dumplings. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Veracruz black beans, served with two toasted corn tortillas. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom