Question about baking brownies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quimbydog

Assistant Cook
I never know if I should use a metal pan or a glass pan if the recipie does not specify. I like my brownies fudgy - not cakey. Does the pan make a difference?

Thanks

Quimbydog

Welcome to the forum quimbydog!

I don't really have any personal experience on this, but I did find this on the Betty Crocker website for you:

Betty Crocker Brownie Mixes FAQ

Can I use any type of metal or glass pan?
Yes, but you’ll get slightly different results with the different types of pan. The best type is uncoated medium to heavyweight aluminum or a metal pan with a gray nonstick coating. Other nonstick or dark-coated pans will give you brownies with slightly chewier edges. Also, if you’re using a dark, nonstick metal pan, you’ll need to trim the baking time a bit. If you’re using an insulated pan, increase the baking time by 3 to 5 minutes. Brownies made in a glass pan will have chewier edges and a fudgier center.​

Generally, a darker pan takes a bit less time to bake the brownies. I always use a light pan, but that's cause it's the one mom used for brownies for many years. Stoneware seems to cook the same as light does, btw. The difference in consistency depends on your ingredients. (Do check your recipes on pan size too. Sometimes the recipe will call for a 9x9, but if all you have is an 8x8, the brownies will take longer to bake.)

Here's a great page full of brownie ideas for you:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/search.php?searchid=17281

I'm not an expert, but, wouldn't the amount of eggs added, made a difference as to cake like or fudgey?Kadesma:blink:

thanks guys!

Thanks for all the help! I am so glad I found this board... I love to learn about cooking.

The recipe I have is for a fudgy brownie, but I always seem to overcook brownies for some reason - I was thinking that maybe somehow it was my pans... I usually use a light, non-stick metal pan, but I do have a pyrex pan that is the same size and was thinking that I should use that instead? I love to cook and am pretty good - but for some reason brownies always seem to elude me! (And they are supposed to be easy!!!)

I am supposed to bring brownies to my sister-in-law's this weekend for my mother-in-law's Mother's Day dinner - so I want to do them right! If anyone else has any input or personal experience.. all insight would be appreciated before the weekend!

Thanks

QD

yes, kadesma, the eggs do have a lot to do with the cakiness - but it really depends on the exact recipe, I'd say.
If you want a pretty presentation, here's a few thoughts:
1. when you cut them, don't do it in the pan. Instead, bake them on top of parchment paper, so you can lift out the whole piece when they have cooled. Using a long knife, make your first cut and then clean the knife completely. Do this each time and your brownies will be perfectly cut.
2. Divide the brownies into 3 piles: Toss 1/3 in granulated sugar, Toss 1/3 in powdered sugar and leave the others plain.
3. Or, after cutting them, keep them in the square shape and lay a doily over the top. Shake powdered sugar over the top and carefully lift the doily off. You will have a really pretty pattern on top.
4. Or, put each brownie into it's own cupcake liner, and then cut marischino cherries in halves. Put a drop of icing on top of a brownie and lay the cherry half on top. Repeat for the rest.
5. Or, make or buy candied orange peel (yum!) and put one across the top of each, adhering it with a drop of icing.
6. Or, you can use pansies from your garden and decorate with those (they're edible, so no harm to the food,so long as they've never been sprayed with chemicals)

Good luck!

Possible problems:

(1) RECIPE: DON'T change anything in the recipe ... especially the fat. IE, if it calls for Crisco or butter - don't try to use vegetable oil!!! Follow the recipe, exactly!

(2) OVEN TEMP: Use an oven thermometer to make sure your oven is the right temp.

(3) PAN SIZE: Use the size pan the recipe calls for.

(4) TYPE PAN: Most recipes will mention the type of pan. A shiny medium-weight pan should be just fine. If you're going to use a dark metal pan, or a pyrex dish, you will probably need to reduce the oven temp about 25-degrees (F) and cook for the time called for in the recipe.

Thank you, Michael! I don't bake often enough to have a big selection of baking pans, so make my pyrex-type pans go for everything. I get a taste for brownies a couple times a year, and while they turn out OK, I know the edges could be better. I'll try the 25 degrees less this time.

thanks for all the help

Just to add another fly into the ointment - should I line with foil or not? Does it make a difference?

QD

When in doubt - follow the recipe!

Yes, lining the pan with foil can make a difference. If you want to line the pan with something - use parchment paper.

Taking jkath's presentation idea one step farther ...

If the recipe says to grease and flour the dish .... use sifted cocoa powder instead of flour.

Re lining the pan w/foil or parchment - I do line with foil, if I'm making a big batch (9x13 pan or larger), and I bring the foil all the way up over the sides of the pan on all 4 sides. Make sure you crimp the foil all the way into the corners of the pan if you do this. The advantage of this method is that you can remove the whole pan of brownies at once, to get even slices.

For what it is worth, when lining a pan with foil, I've better luck puting the pan upside down on the counter and laying the foil on the pan and molding that way. Then I turn the pan upright and put the foil liner in.

Jkath,
Your presentation ideas look great, but I do think a word of caution is in order regarding eating pansies from your garden. Most plants that you buy are not edible, and not meant to use on food. Somewhere along the way, they may have been sprayed with chemicals.

When baking brownies, I use the shortest time (ie 25-33) minutes. Brownies are so easy to overcook and they continue to cook for a bit after removed from the oven. The crusty bits are always good crumbled over ice cream, especially if they have nuts in them.

Here are a few TNT tips for you.
1) place a cookie sheet on a shelf a few inches below the brownie pan, it helps to even the heat.
2) when you cut the brownies, out of pan using a liner is best, experiment to see which you like best, foil or parchment, cut them on a bias. Cut the brownies lengthwise but on the cross cut start the cut a few inches off center. It will give your brownies a great look.
3) Grow your edible flowers from seed. Find a reputable organic dealer for seeds and plants and buy from them. One I have great luck with is www.groworganic.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom