Potatoes, amazing yummies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Edited to add: I see that Larry got this video posted before I did.

I found the video of Jacques and Julia cooking potatoes, many different ways. The pommes soufflés are the last item in this video:

We have literally 5/million potatoes in our garden this years thanks to the rain. So all we eat are potatoes. Luckily it’s my favorite food.

so I’ve probably made them a zillion ways.

try salt potatoes

Pesto was being discussed in another thread and it made me think of the small creamer potatoes tossed with pesto.

There are many recipes hot and cold roasted or boiled.
1692627365649.jpeg

Pesto was being discussed in another thread and it made me think of the small creamer potatoes tossed with pesto.

There are many recipes hot and cold roasted or boiled.
View attachment 65632
This comes at a perfect time. I got tons of potatoes and left over pesto I used for something else last week. Now I know what one of my side dishes will be this week.

I've probably told this story before, but DH was an exchange student in Finland the summer after his junior year of high school. The mother of the family served potatoes with every meal every day, breakfast, lunch and dinner, hashed, mashed, bashed and gashed, he said 🤣 After a couple of weeks, he tired of them and asked if she could make a pizza for dinner and she said sure. At first, he thought the thinly sliced browned things on it were pepperoni, but guess what? That's right! They were potatoes! 😁

Try that, Larry and jennyema! 😁

I've probably told this story before, but DH was an exchange student in Finland the summer after his junior year of high school. The mother of the family served potatoes with every meal every day, breakfast, lunch and dinner, hashed, mashed, bashed and gashed, he said 🤣 After a couple of weeks, he tired of them and asked if she could make a pizza for dinner and she said sure. At first, he thought the thinly sliced browned things on it were pepperoni, but guess what? That's right! They were potatoes! 😁

Try that, Larry and jennyema! 😁
Well, its gotta be better than pineapple on pizza ;)

Now, if it were a white pizza ( Ricotta and Mozzarella ) and then potatoes on top sprinkled with some cheddar, I can definitely see that.

Birthday meal requests nearly always has potato dauphinoise.
I buy potatoes straight from the farm gate. 5kg or 10kg bags.
Agria brand great spud. Also roasting as well.
I peel about 2kgs and thinly slice and drain and wash in fresh water.
I take a bowl and put 300mls full cream.
Big hand full grated cheddar cheese.
2 teaspoons crushed garlic.
Generous ground pepper.
Mix.
Take dish and rub butter over base and up walls. Line potatoes sprinkle with liquid continue layering until all gone.
Bake 170 for 2 hrs.
It might seem drawn out but I've done this a lot. Last time from start to going in the oven 30 mins.
If you want to impress. This is the dish.

Russ

Here's another take on Potato Dauphinoise that I made tonight.
Made in muffin tins.
I had to veganize it, but here is. the original recipe link

For anyone interested in how I veganized it:
- Vegan butter and olive oil instead of regular butter
- 50/50 mix of vegan plain yogurt and cashew milk to replace cream ( I was. really surprised how well this worked out)
- Vegan mix of cheese instead of regular cheese ( Chai cheese ,Violife Parm and Daiya Cheddar)
***I also doubled the amount of 'cream sauce'. I think my tin was bigger than the one in the recipe***

The potatoes had such a great texture.
Even Umbilicus like it ( he ate some of. the crispy part stuck to the pan).

Attachments

• Potato 2 .png
    Potato 2 .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • Pottatoes 1.png
    Pottatoes 1.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • Umbie potatoes .png
    Umbie potatoes .png
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
A favorite recipe with potatoes is a side dish I often make to serve with many things - Pan Roasted Potatoes. This was based on an old Frugal Gourmet recipe, which I tweaked a bit.

1½ lbs potatoes, russet or Yukon, 3/4" cubes
1 tb olive oil
2 large cloves garlic or 4 medium, sliced thin
1½ tb coarsely chopped fresh sage
1 tb coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a 12" NS skillet (with ovenproof handle) over medium heat, then add potatoes. Sauté 5 or 6 minutes, tossing a few times. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°, and prepare remaining ingredients. Toss those with the potatoes, and place in the oven. Bake 15-20 minutes, tossing a couple times, and if they seem to need more cooking at 15 minutes, bake about 5 more. Season to taste, and serve.

Variations: I will often cook this entirely on the stovetop - just toss the potatoes and oil in the skillet over medium heat about 8 minutes, reduce the heat slightly, then adding the seasonings and tossing with the potatoes. Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the garlic is crispy, and the potatoes are pretty much browned all over, tossing frequently.

Another variation makes a salad out of it. In this one, potatoes are mixed in the pan with 3 tb oil, 2 tb minced rosemary, 3 large cloves garlic, minced, and a generous amount of coarsely ground black pepper. Bake in a 350° oven for 25-30 minutes, then cool; toss with 3 tb minced parsley, salt to taste, and 2-3 tb wine vinegar, to taste.

Last edited:
A favorite recipe with potatoes is a side dish I often make to serve with many things - Pan Roasted Potatoes. This was based on an old Frugal Gourmet recipe, which I tweaked a bit.

1½ lbs potatoes, russet or Yukon, 3/4" cubes
1 tb olive oil
2 large cloves or 4 medium, sliced thin
1½ tb coarsely chopped fresh sage
1 tb coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a 12" NS skillet (with ovenproof handle) over medium heat, then add potatoes. Sauté 5 or 6 minutes, tossing a few times. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°, and prepare remaining ingredients. Toss those with the potatoes, and place in the oven. Bake 15-20 minutes, tossing a couple times, and if they seem to need more cooking at 15 minutes, bake about 5 more. Season to taste, and serve.

Variations: I will often cook this entirely on the stovetop - just toss the potatoes and oil in the skillet over medium heat about 8 minutes, reduce the heat slightly, then adding the seasonings and tossing with the potatoes. Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the garlic is crispy, and the potatoes are pretty much browned all over, tossing frequently.

Another variation makes a salad out of it. In this one, potatoes are mixed in the pan with 3 tb oil, 2 tb minced rosemary, 3 large cloves garlic, minced, and a generous amount of coarsely ground black pepper. Bake in a 350° oven for 25-30 minutes, then cool; toss with 3 tb minced parsley, salt to taste, and 2-3 tb wine vinegar, to taste.
"2 large cloves or 4 medium, sliced thin..." That's of cloves of garlic, not clove buds, eh?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom