Making sunny side up eggs in the microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BurnsWater

Cook
Yes, it can be done, as shown in this MasterClass post:

Even using the same size eggs, the same plate, and the same microwave, every time, I'm getting inconsistent results, including the yolk cooked solid with some of the white still liquid… obviously I must be missing something.

Is there anyone here who has EXPERIENCE cooking eggs this way, who can give any insight as to how to get the eggs consistently right, in other words fully cooked white and at least mostly liquid yolk? Thank you!

Well, have not yet watched the video but I can tell you right now that it is not worth the effort.
Did the same thing with a video about cooking eggs in the micro. Poaching them. I have now done it at least a dozen times or more and each time was different and none of them have been successful.
Bottom line - just not gonna try no more. I love my eggs, fried, poached, scrambled too much to waste any more time looking for a 'supposedly' fool proof short-cut.

During a kitchen reno back in the 80's I micro waved my share of eggs and trust me, scrambled is the way to go, lol. Anyway when I eat eggs it's generally for brekky and I normally eat 4 or 5 large eggs, sunny side up just isn't in the cards in a microwave when I can get the job done in 2 minutes in a hot pan with lots of butter. Just my opinion on this subject and your results may vary. :giggle:

Last edited:
Several years ago Kayelle introduced me to microwave poached eggs.

I tried it with mixed results and eventually got the hang of it but old habits die hard and I let it go in favor of my old method of preparing eggs on the stove top.

I'll add that cleaning the poaching dish from the micro-wave is just a time consuming as the stove top.
I probably would use it more if I got consistent results. Mainly because the microwave is permanently available without any 'setting up' whereas my stove needs setting up each time I use it (and then 'un-setting it after)

I'll add that cleaning the poaching dish from the micro-wave is just a time consuming as the stove top.
I probably would use it more if I got consistent results. Mainly because the microwave is permanently available without any 'setting up' whereas my stove needs setting up each time I use it (and then 'un-setting it after)
When making a sunny side up egg in the microwave, you cook the egg on the same plate you're going to eat off of, so there is ZERO cleanup beyond that plate and whatever utensil you eat with. Very convenient!

I don't base my cooking decisions on how much clean-up there is or how many minutes/seconds I can trim off the time to table. I can't imagine a microwaved egg being better than eggs cooked on a stovetop.

I don't base my cooking decisions on how much clean-up there is or how many minutes/seconds I can trim off the time to table. I can't imagine a microwaved egg being better than eggs cooked on a stovetop.
It wouldn't have to be better to make it worth doing, though, right, just equally good. To me it actually IS better, because the ones cooked on the stove top have way too much butter, and oil is even worse (cooking spray is just oil sprayed out of a can).

It wouldn't have to be better to make it worth doing, though, right, just equally good. To me it actually IS better, because the ones cooked on the stove top have way too much butter, and oil is even worse (cooking spray is just oil sprayed out of a can).
YOU control the amount of fat in the pan. Also, you were complaining about inconsistent results. . . So if it's better in the microwave, that's only sometimes and the rest of the time it sucks. If that's OK with you, it's OK with me.

It doesnt have to have more than a little butter. You are the decider of that.

Oil isnt necessarily worse. And we all know what cooking spray is. Avocado oil spray makes fine eggs.

When cooking eggs for my mom and/or sister (who do not like fat -- or flavor), I put about a teaspoon of canola oil in a non-stick pan, and then wipe it around the pan with a paper towel. That puts down the thinest coating of oil you can get, and works fine.

Microwave ovens do many things, and some things very well. But, they don't do everything well. I can not imagine any way to cook a sunny side up egg in a microwave. It seems like you are either going to undercook the whites, or overcook the yolks.

CD

Last edited:
You can eliminate the butter and oil, along with much of the flavor, by using a nonstick pan with a tablespoon of water and a cover to steam/fry an egg in the time it takes to make the toast.

You can eliminate the butter and oil, along with much of the flavor, by using a nonstick pan with a tablespoon of water and a cover to steam/fry an egg in the time it takes to make the toast.
I do almost exactly that - I'm buttering my toast anyhow so a little extra in the pan certainly doesn't worry me.
Butter and Bacon - 2 B's or no 2 B's. :whistling

Let's be clear about what we're doing, though. This is steaming an egg. Frying requires fat.

Well, I fry eggs in the butter first (how much I use depends on how much I feel like using). Then I add a spoonful of water around the edge and pop a (glass) lid on. As soon as I see the yolk turn it's milky colour I remove the pan from the heat and remove the lid. Slide the egg onto my buttered toast. Yummmm

There you have the perfect:
Fried Steamed Eggs on Toast.

Well, I fry eggs in the butter first (how much I use depends on how much I feel like using). Then I add a spoonful of water around the edge and pop a (glass) lid on. As soon as I see the yolk turn it's milky colour I remove the pan from the heat and remove the lid. Slide the egg onto my buttered toast. Yummmm

There you have the perfect:
Fried Steamed Eggs on Toast.
That's different from what Aunt Bea described.

Even non-stick pans need some lubricant, even if it is only wiped with a slightly oily cloth, as sort of described by casey. We're now starting to get into semantics and being rather picky. Even the video uses oil on the plate to prevent sticking.
There just might be a pan out there with a surface that you would not have to use any lubricant at all, but I have never seen or used one yet. I have teflon, blue diamond, stone, cast iron - and have used those copper coloured ones and there's another I used, a sort of red stone(? don't know the name).

Back
Top Bottom