Does anyone reuse the cooking oil after deepfying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do. After the oil cools, I filter it and store it for future use. I use corn oil because it's inexpensive and has a high smoke point.

I rarely deep fry food and it’s not worth the bother to salvage the oil for future use.

IMO, when cooking for one or two people shallow frying in a heavy skillet or pot is the way to go.

I’m old and lazy so I usually oven fry using a sheet pan with a squirt of canola oil cooking spray on the pan and again on the food.

Don’t be afraid to experiment and see what works best for you and your situation.

I have two Fry Daddy's. One is always at the ready. After use, I unplug it and allow to cool until the next time. I will strain it if there are many particles.
I might use the same oil several times. The Fry Daddy has a plastic lid you can use to cover it when not in use. My first MIL would put it in the fridge covered. I don't.
When the oil needs replacement, I pull out my second one. If the oil is still good, I will strain the old oil into the new FD and add more oil if needed.
I know I am the minority on this practice. But it works for me and I do not have to buy as much oil.
We do a lot of deep-frying.
This brings up an issue for me.
Frozen things like fries and chicken nuggets/tenders do not have any instructions as to deep-frying. They only give a recommended way to prepare them. The oven.
These things/products do not come out as good in the oven. Deep-frying them is the very best way and how I do it. No matter what the package says.
Not everyone has concerns with using oil. I see zero issue with it and will continue to deep-fry anything that will benefit from it.

As Andy said, I let it cool and then strain it through a coffee filter and store it in a canning jar in the refrigerator. No problems so far.
I have a holding tank on the bottom of my deep fryer into which I can drain and filter the oil and place anywhere I please (cupboard, refrigerator, top of refrigerator, etc.). If it's time for an oil change, the fryer holds about 4 Ovaltine jars worth of oil, which is close to a gallon. I try not to change the oil too often.

I have no problem with deep frying - I just never liked the smell that would linger for ages.
Wholeheartedly agree with this.

As for whether or not I reuse oil, it depends on what has been fried. I don't deep fry often, but if I fry things like fish or other types of seafood, I normally pitch the oil after one use.

My favorite thing to deep fry on occasion, however, is Tempura. And that's usually all veggies. Sliced sweet potato, bell pepper strips, fresh mushrooms, etc. That oil I will save for another use or two.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom