Is it okay to wash the oil into the kitchen sink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
OK. I used to wash my dishes in the kitchen sink without too much awareness, and then shortly after a few years it was badly clogged and great deal of money was spent for a professional service and the guy said the pipes of my kitchen sink were not original and was poorly redesigned, this is what I agree because it was really redesigned long time ago, but I am not sure if it was "poorly" redesigned.

OK, now, everything has been unclogged, and I always wipe all kind of solid residue into the rubbish bin before washing the dishes in the kitchen sink, but
so practically only oil that would drain into the sink, and I always wash with dish-washing detergent..... and make sure the oil residue is well mixed well with the detergent before it is rinsed with water

I'd like to know, when oil mixed with dish-washing detergent, is it safe to have
them drain into the sink? Does it raise the risk of clogging again?

Because a few weeks after unclogging, I washed in the toilet, outside the kitchen, without anything draining into the kitchen sink, but it's very inconvenient and tiring

kenny, it's not recommended that you put any oil down any drain, whether or not it's been mixed with any thing, even dish soap.
I always save a container that I can close, like a used plastic bottle with a screw-top lid to pour the oils into and then dispose of it in the trash bin.
For small oil/grease cleanups like a sheet pan that I've oven roasted Bacon on, I use paper towels to soak up what renderings are left after I pour the Bacon fat into a sealed container for later use. Fried Eggs in rendered Bacon Fat is heaven!

It is NOT OK.

Oil will collect on the drain pipe surfaces and solidify. Eventually the drain will clog (again).

I always allow oil/fat to cool then pour or scrape it into the trash.

This is true of solid fats like animal fat or butter as well as oils like vegetable oils, peanut oil, etc.

I would try to avoid oil in the drain, but a little bit is OK. As long as you know it will leave a coating. As in my tip a while back - don't let that drain back up into your pasta, keep the colander up. Some grease IS going down there, if nothing else from the dishes themselves.

The drain in the kitchen here was wrong. I knew when I put in a new faucet. I put it back together and one piece is upside down, which divides the output to allow both sides of the sink to drain. However it sloped upwards and caught things. It was upside down and I looked or a way to right it but it just would not work. So I said "Those strainers on the drain, they must remain on at all times". This went out the other ear after a while.

One day it finally clogged completely and I took it apart, my thumb went through the rusted trap. gorilla tape didn't work so we went to the best plumbing place in town - Menyhart. Throw a bag or rust on the counter and the guy goes in the back and comes back with everything you need. I always tell them I do not want to glue so they give me those slip fittings. It eliminates the precision cutting.

WOW, once in, the both sinks had good drainage at the same time, went down fast and got those whirlpools around the drain. That is how I check for leaks, because a drainpipe is not supposed to have water standing in it. So the test reveals if I need to tighten something up.

Listen, still do not let water from the drain to back up and hit your pasta. Even new there are toxins in the glue, if you glued.

T

Last edited:
At 72, I can safely say I have never put any grease/fats down the sink. As for bacon grease, I always keep a cup/bowl of it in the refrigerator for using with cornbread, beans, etc.

The rest gets scraped onto plastic wrap and is tossed into the trash. In the winter, I leave it out for the birds and other creatures who need "fuel."

Hi all above. I mean "grease", I was wrong, sorry. I didn't mean good amount of oil that could be removed to rubbish bin

kenny, you are OK with the small amount left after you've scraped away as others have said and as much as you could.

That being said, if I remember correctly, there was another thread asking how to keep your drains clean?
Do your weekly, bi-weekly or however many times you feel necessary (without being anal about it)- vinegar/baking soda - or whatever method you use to help keep your drains clear.

kenny, you are OK with the small amount left after you've scraped away as others have said and as much as you could.

That being said, if I remember correctly, there was another thread asking how to keep your drains clean?
Do your weekly, bi-weekly or however many times you feel necessary (without being anal about it)- vinegar/baking soda - or whatever method you use to help keep your drains clear.

I once tried to unclog with vinegar/baking soda but it did not work at all.

Could it serve as maintenance?

It's not a solvent that will dissolve or emulsify fats and oils. I drain pans outside, then give them a wipe with a paper towel. Boiling water, followed with a caustic cleaner, is more effective at clearing grease buildup from drains. Restaurants have grease traps to handle the problem.

I came back from a 6-week trip abroad in October 2019, and 3 days later, had to cater for a 120-guest wedding - about 1600 canapés, etc. 4 of us working in my home kitchen. The sink blocked on the first day - it was disastrous.
The day after the wedding, the plumber came in, removed the U-bend and showed me the pipe which connects with the drain: blocked solid with grease and gunge. He unblocked it, but then boiled up about 2 gallons of water and poured it in the sink. He suggested I do that once a week. I´ve been doing it ever since and it does seem to help. Find the biggest pot you´ve got and boil up the water, down the drain.

I don't use it to clear a clog but for maintenance. Even then if I think even that is starting to get slow I go for the heavy stuff.

But always with water - boiling to follow

I came back from a 6-week trip abroad in October 2019, and 3 days later, had to cater for a 120-guest wedding - about 1600 canapés, etc. 4 of us working in my home kitchen. The sink blocked on the first day - it was disastrous.
The day after the wedding, the plumber came in, removed the U-bend and showed me the pipe which connects with the drain: blocked solid with grease and gunge. He unblocked it, but then boiled up about 2 gallons of water and poured it in the sink. He suggested I do that once a week. I´ve been doing it ever since and it does seem to help. Find the biggest pot you´ve got and boil up the water, down the drain.

It does seem to help. When I am canning I have large amounts of boiling water when I take the canned goods out, and I pour it down the drains.

OK, now, everything has been unclogged, and I always wipe all kind of solid residue into the rubbish bin before washing the dishes in the kitchen sink, but
so practically only oil that would drain into the sink, and I always wash with dish-washing detergent..... and make sure the oil residue is well mixed well with the detergent before it is rinsed with water

I'd like to know, when oil mixed with dish-washing detergent, is it safe to have
them drain into the sink? Does it raise the risk of clogging again?

Because a few weeks after unclogging, I washed in the toilet, outside the kitchen, without anything draining into the kitchen sink, but it's very inconvenient and tiring

If you are just talking about a little oil/grease layer on a your plates or pans, using dish soap and hot water is fine. What's left after you wipe off the dishes/pans is not enough to worry about.

Obviously you don't want to dump a pint of oil or grease down the drain, but from your description, you aren't talking about doing that.

CD

My dishwasher drains into my disposal, which goes into the drain. That is VERY hot water, with a detergent mixed in. I imagine that helps a lot. My kitchen drain has never clogged in 20-plus years.

CD

It's not a solvent that will dissolve or emulsify fats and oils. I drain pans outside, then give them a wipe with a paper towel. Boiling water, followed with a caustic cleaner, is more effective at clearing grease buildup from drains. Restaurants have grease traps to handle the problem.

grease traps?? What is it? Is there home-use one?

If you are just talking about a little oil/grease layer on a your plates or pans, using dish soap and hot water is fine. What's left after you wipe off the dishes/pans is not enough to worry about.

Obviously you don't want to dump a pint of oil or grease down the drain, but from your description, you aren't talking about doing that.

CD

Yes, I mean only a little grease layer that cannot be wiped off completely into rubbish bin. I'm scrubbing the dishes and let a large amount of detergent bubbles appear before rinsing it with water. But I am not using hot water..... hope this isn't going to make a big difference

As much trouble as you have been having with your plumbing, I would take it outside and dump it in the garden, where it will decompose and fertilize the plants.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom