I need an easy Indian recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the easiest way to get started on cooking Indian food is to buy a good quality curry paste, like Patak's, and use their instructions.

Agreed!
We use several of their jarred simmer sauces. Vindaloo and Jalfrezi are two of our favourites.

Just saute some chunks of chicken until half cooked through, then simmer in the sauce 'till done.
Serve with basmati rice and warm naan. Couldn't be easier.

Another one that I've been making/cheating with is by using either Mr. Kooks tandoori powder, or Tiger Tiger brand tandoori paste.

Mix per instructions with yogurt and oil, then pour over skinless but bone-in chicken parts in a big ziplock bag, and marinate overnight.

The next day, grill over indirect heat at about 375° for 40 minutes or so, then crank up the heat to high to finish with a bit of char on the edges.

Serve with thinly sliced onions, hot peppers (such as Thai Birds, and naan or roti.

I'm well, Bliss. Thanks. I hope you are as well.

It's good to see so many of the people I relied on for friendship mixed with great stories and advice still here.

Getting back, I remember Auntie M (ol' AndyM) having a good tandoori marinade from scratch.

ANDY!!!

Last edited:
Great to hear Bucky! We're better than ever here and looking towards a great year.

I'm well, Bliss. Thanks. I hope you are as well.

It's good to see so many of the people I relied on for friendship mixed with great stories and advice still here.

Getting back, I remember Auntie M (ol' AndyM) having a good tandoori marinade from scratch.

ANDY!!!

Hey, BT! Great to have you here.

We use several of their jarred simmer sauces. Vindaloo and Jalfrezi are two of our favourites.

I tried A Vegetable Jalfrezi a few months ago ( for the first time) from an Indian restaurant . I loved it. I feel like I've been missing out all these years not knowing about it. When we order in, I always order 1 extra dish, something we never tried or heard of before to expand my culinary knowledge ( and I love eating leftovers too :yum: )

In my earlier post, I typed out how to make Chicken TIkka Masala, using Patak's Tikka Masala sauce. Even Indians use Patak's, it's very popular and reliable.

As Larry said, making Indian cuisine from scratch calls for many, sometimes very cuisine-specific, spices. Once you get the hang of making it with Patak's, then you can branch out

Here is Patak's website with reicpes and all their products and recipes:
https://www.pataks.ca/categories/cooking-sauces

Those recipes are so simple I can hardly believe it. I made Tikka Masala from scratch and it was a very long recipe. I will definitely try Bataks. Thanks for the post.

I have made chapati. I prefer wholegrain breads. It was fun making it. It was a bit stressful using a towel and pushing down the edges to make it puff up.

I've made a flatbread similar to naan. I have a cast iron griddle that covers two burners on the stovetop, so I could cook a few at a time.

I make naan sometimes, but more often I make the non-leavened flatbreads - roti, chapati, and paratha. These terms are used rather loosely - paratha is often thought of as "fried", though it's usually just brushed with a small amount of oil or ghee, and sometimes the others are too! I like the whole grain recipes, which sometimes have WW atta flour, which is durum flour. There are also many whole grain flours, as well as legume flours, that they use for flatbreads. And many of them are gluten free, and are easy to press in a tortilla press, but not pressing quite as thin.

Many of these flatbread recipes call for putting over a direct flame, to puff them up at the end, but not necessary, unless stuffing.

I make naan sometimes, but more often I make the non-leavened flatbreads - roti, chapati, and paratha. These terms are used rather loosely - paratha is often thought of as "fried", though it's usually just brushed with a small amount of oil or ghee, and sometimes the others are too! I like the whole grain recipes, which sometimes have WW atta flour, which is durum flour. There are also many whole grain flours, as well as legume flours, that they use for flatbreads. And many of them are gluten free, and are easy to press in a tortilla press, but not pressing quite as thin.

Many of these flatbread recipes call for putting over a direct flame, to puff them up at the end, but not necessary, unless stuffing.

So, does that mean I could make chapati without making it puff up? They don't stay puffed anyways.

No, tl, you don't have to go out of the way to puff those - I actually have seen more recipes where they weren't puffed up.

Back
Top Bottom