Have to learn to make Pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

User0204

Senior Cook
I just bought one of those Marie Callander Ravioli things and aside from being so small they wouldn't constitute a snack in Oz let alone a supposed meal and they tasted like chalk!

Therefore, because I like Pasta and eat quite a bit of it I think I am going to have to learn how to do two things:

1. Make spaghetti (you know that long thin stuff) and
2. Make Ravioli and Lasagna

I'm sure it is like a lot of things - first time around it looks hard but once doen - you ask yourself what all the fuss was about :)

And yeah, if I do get into it properly I will buy one of them :)

It's really fairly easy. Flour, egg, salt, water, olive oil. Combine, knead, roll it out, cut it up.

Making spaghetti requires a machine. It's an extruded shape. However, linguine and fettuccine are easy.

Bless your heart. Your in for a big wake up call without a machine and pasta in general.

20210923_163841 (1).jpg
20210923_161315 (1).jpg

Homemade fresh pasta is much easier to make than pizza doughs, that's for sure!
At least you don't have to watch it for two hours, praying it will rise😒.
I should be embarrassed saying I hardly ever make it (living here and being born to Italian parents), but I just don't have the patience😕.
I sometimes buy good quality fresh pasta at the local supermarket instead.

Homemade fresh pasta is much easier to make than pizza doughs, that's for sure!
At least you don't have to watch it for two hours, praying it will rise😒.
I should be embarrassed saying I hardly ever make it (living here and being born to Italian parents), but I just don't have the patience😕.
I sometimes buy good quality fresh pasta at the local supermarket instead.
A lot of it is just having the time to make it I believe. I also am guessing that fresh pasta at Italian markets is less expensive than it is in the US? I can buy a box of good dry pasta for $1.50-$2 per pound, whereas a bag of refrigerated fresh pasta is $4 or more for about .5 pound. I also have lots of time, which allows me to have more patience 😀

I actually mix my small batch pasta in my food processor. Super easy that way and a very yummy recipe I got from my sis ter. I would divide it up into individual serving size, wrapp and freeze. Take out however much I needed.
Now-a-days I just use dry. I should really check my machine! Been sitting for a couple of years now, rust the scourge of the rollers!!!

I hate to see folks invest in specialized equipment until they are sure that their interest/curiosity is going to last and develop into an ongoing interest.

Start by making pasta/noodles that don’t require any special ingredients or equipment.

Sheet pasta for ravioli, lasagna, noodles etc… is easy enough to make with a rolling pin or even the side of a heavy wine bottle.

It seems like every nationality has a simple noodle or dumpling recipe. Try egg noodles, pierogi, kreplach, gnocchi, cavatelli, can all be made without any special equipment.

Aunt Bea is absolutely right. You do not need any special equipment. Spaghetti, whether wide, thick or thin, ravioli, lasagna, can all be done by hand. I would recommend a rolling pin though. I've used a bottle many, many times but not really for pasta!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom