Have to learn to make Pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah for home use I have the same setup. I also have a 50 year old atlas as well. I like fresh pasta, don't get me wrong, it rocks, but dry pasta is still king.
I buy penne and macaroni dry, but if it's fettucine or spaghetti I make it in the KA. It freezes quite well so I always have some on hand. I just made a big batch last week!

I sheet the pasta dough and use a levered scoop for ravioli. Equal amounts and quicker to make since the lever pushes the filling out.

A lot of it is just having the time to make it I believe. I also am guessing that fresh pasta at Italian markets is less expensive than it is in the US? I can buy a box of good dry pasta for $1.50-$2 per pound, whereas a bag of refrigerated fresh pasta is $4 or more for about .5 pound. I also have lots of time, which allows me to have more patience 😀

Yes, it's a little cheaper here but since the Russia/Ukraine war began, the price of grain has risen enormously, more or less doubled in some cases! We can still buy a packet of fresh pasta (500gr) for about €1,50 or less (that's about 1,60 in USD dollars, I think.
Today I bought a packet of fresh gnocchi (1 kg) at € 0,99.
Famous brands are more expensive of course, but that's because we pay their advertising costs😏.

I buy penne and macaroni dry, but if it's fettucine or spaghetti I make it in the KA. It freezes quite well so I always have some on hand. I just made a big batch last week!
I prefer dry pasta, but for the odd time I make ravioli or lasagna I make fresh. At the restaurant we always have a pasta special and tagliatelle is what I use most and I make that fresh from 00, some egg yolks and some evoo, and a touch of water which depends on the days temp/humidity etc. I portion it out and then freeze.

I prefer homemade ravioli because I'm much more generous with the filling. The exception being Mushroom filled. Just can't seem to get the filling right.... but then again, haven't done any for several years now..

PLUS I really, really want to try that spinach circle thing with the egg in the middle. I don't think I want a large size as you would need with a chicken egg - but how about quail eggs? Think that would be so neat!

I've toasted them in bread cut-outs, believe I've posted this picture before... but anyhow - they are so cute!
20220417_075513.jpg
20220417_080012.jpg

20220417_081211.jpg

That's a slice of dark pumpernickel.. done in the toaster oven. Quite yummy but should have maybe used 4 eggs! :mrgreen: or even 5 to make the cutouts even!

PLUS I really, really want to try that spinach circle thing with the egg in the middle. I don't think I want a large size as you would need with a chicken egg - but how about quail eggs? Think that would be so neat!

I made the raviolos once. You just use the yolk. You can make them with or without ricotta cheese. I crisped up some pancetta than added some butter and lightly browned butter. I just used plain pasta dough. Did you mean spinach inside the raviolo or spinach dough? You have to be super careful with the yolks and the raviolo while cooking so the yolks don't break.

You're right, been so long since I've seen the recipe I forgot it's just the yolk. hmmm, might have to practice - a lot! - if I use quail eggs. Those shells are not easy to open compared to chicken eggs. Separating them might be a problem! :LOL:

The first recipe I saw was a video, a few years ago (before I left the farm). Was with 2 Italian girls (sisters)? Have to look for it again. Have seen other video's and recipes since but theirs is the first one I saw and it intrigued me.

I make flat sheet pasta for ravioli and also to use for egg rolls (baked not fried), using whole wheat flour and water. It works. I use an off brand pasta roller on my kitchen aid mixer.
I usually don't use any flour that isn't whole wheat, but I did splurge on semolina for pasta. It's unifine, sifted, removing sharp edges of bran, and a small amount of the germ. On the positive side it makes a nice pasta textured dough. On the negative side it is missing some of the fiber and the richer parts of the grain are more easily digested. So it is more processed than we usually have. We have it once every 2-4 weeks at the most.

Try and get a variety of olives! either black or green. All the grocers seem to carry only 2 brands only - their own and a particular brand I don't like Pastene. :(
Same for the Pepperoncini, their own or Pastene. :( Mustards, grrrr. Maille is $5..99, same size store brand is $1.99. I would love to make a trip to Ottawa area. Evidently there is a specialty shoppe strictly mustards, LOL. Would be interesting!
Yeah, they are probably expensive but still a better variety! I don't mind paying more (just feeding me so feel I can splurge to a certain extent) But a $4.00 difference for a small jar is sort of a slap in the face, no?

The only product I like of Pastene is their tomato paste and I believe they also supply tuna in oil :)

Rant over I guess....

Try and get a variety of olives! either black or green. All the grocers seem to carry only 2 brands only - their own and a particular brand I don't like Pastene. :(
Same for the Pepperoncini, their own or Pastene. :( Mustards, grrrr. Maille is $5..99, same size store brand is $1.99. I would love to make a trip to Ottawa area. Evidently there is a specialty shoppe strictly mustards, LOL. Would be interesting!
Yeah, they are probably expensive but still a better variety! I don't mind paying more (just feeding me so feel I can splurge to a certain extent) But a $4.00 difference for a small jar is sort of a slap in the face, no?

The only product I like of Pastene is their tomato paste and I believe they also supply tuna in oil :)

Rant over I guess....
Ever thought of making your own mustards? they're pretty easy to make.

Well, I have some Keens powder - so when I refused to buy the dijon available I sort of kicked myself and said "make your own, you twit!"
So I bought some table 'yellow' mustard and will open that little tin of Keens from now on. If I remember correctly it is a bit 'hotter' than a dijon?

Well, I have some Keens powder - so when I refused to buy the dijon available I sort of kicked myself and said "make your own, you twit!"
So I bought some table 'yellow' mustard and will open that little tin of Keens from now on. If I remember correctly it is a bit 'hotter' than a dijon?
Do you mean to use the mustard powder, to add water and eat? It most likely will be very hot. The mustard seeds that I grind and mix with water, vinegar, whole mustard seeds, takes at least a week before it's mellow enough for my tastes. There's a thread somewhere here on making mustard. https://www.discusscooking.com/thre...mustard-or-at-least-very-little-spice.109326/

edited to add: I make a yellow mustard and a dijon mustard and that covers all our mustard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom