Hard boiled Eggs - Are they still good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I hate eggs and never cook them so I have no idea of the answer to this question. My guess is that they are trash, but I am looking to you guys to tell me the truth.

My wife hard boiled some eggs last night to have so she could give to our daughter. She brought a big pot of water to a boil, put the eggs in, then after the timer went off she killed the heat. Well she forgot all about then and they are still sitting in the pot of water on the stove right now. Are they trash?

Eggs are cheap. Toss them and cook a new batch.

They've been sitting in a warm environment for overnight. Who knows what bacteria have found that environment to their liking and started a family.

yes, gb, someone put the "bucky stand up so gb can see you" in my post.

i rarely speak about myself in the third person when i'm not in front of the mirror at home...

hey, chuck 'em at middie!!!
naaaah, she's too small of a target.

Last edited:
buckytom said:
yes, gb, someone put the "bucky stand up so gb can see you" in my post.

i rarely speak about myself in the third person when i'm not in front of the mirror at home...

hey, chuck 'em at middie!!!
naaaah, she's to small of a target.

Hmmmm. I must have clicked on "EDIT" rather than "QUOTE". Sorry BT.

Hmm weird that it did not show that the post was edited. usually there is a note about the date and time it was edited and by who.

Well I guess Andy is not going to get his monthly bonus :)

GB, I agree, when in doubt, toss it out. As stated, eggs are cheap and and a buck or so is not worth unfortunate consequences.

However, one reason people boiled eggs for centuries is that it preserves them.

Remember years ago, many bars would have a bowl of eggs on the bar and they would just sit there for many hours, and probably were not tossed out the next morning, until someone who wanted the things would grab and eat one. And around Easter people always kept the doggone rotten eggs out for days when I was a kid.

As an aside, I love eggs but find the boiled ones repulsive. Agree with you on that. Cannot even abide the smell of them once they are cracked. And Mrs. Auntdot will not make egg salad while I am home, bleccch.

Although I would bet your eggs are probably safe, are most likely overly cooked.

However, would you enjoy eating something that you had a question about its safety?

Around here, if we are not sure, just toss it.

Cannot enjoy something we think, even remotely, might make us sick.

Well, mostly. Will eat raw clams and oysters, but sometimes you just have to jump into the pool and say to heck with it.

But I vote for the eggs in the dumpster.

auntdot said:
Will eat raw clams and oysters, but sometimes you just have to jump into the pool and say to heck with it.

you keep calms and oysters in your pool?

that's so cool auntdot! :)

are you sure you're not from boston?

GB said:
Hmm weird that it did not show that the post was edited. usually there is a note about the date and time it was edited and by who.

Well I guess Andy is not going to get his monthly bonus :)

I just got my new laptop yesterday afternoon and I'm still getting used to it. The mousepad is harder to use than the rollerball mouse I'm used to. Still trying to get the settings right.

GB: I was counting on the monthly bonus to pay for the new toy.:(

Andy I use my rollerball with my laptop. Just plug it into one of the USB ports and you are good to go. OK you can keep your bonus since you have a decent excuse.

Yeah I will be pitching these eggs. If they were for me I would be more inclined to give them a shot, but when it comes to my daughter I am not going to take any chances.

GB said:
Andy I use my rollerball with my laptop. Just plug it into one of the USB ports and you are good to go...

Yeah, I know I can. I am hoping to go wireless, so I may eventually get a wireless roller mouse thingy.

As far as the eggs are concerned, since the little one was involved, safety first is the best bet.

I tried John, but my arm is not that good. I was able to make it to CT with one of them, but NJ is looking a bit out of my range :LOL:

Hey, back in RRRRRRrrrrrusia, those egs would still be good for another week, or so. :sick:

Get rid of them! :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom