Friday 4/28/2017 What's on the menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
img_1509046_0_2280125e88bc12c6b4699e7c140b2b48.jpg

img_1509046_1_91136f529f09b54f131b7fe0de6e7d69.jpg

img_1509046_2_e7fdab96cd764c58f1f0b1f660abecaa.jpg

img_1509046_3_cc4b499ef475c94eb2b349b11f7a51b6.jpg

Well, I bought a package of mussels the other day.. couldn't resist... LOL 50 cents off :rolleyes: I just had a craving.. I cooked half last night - didn't take any pics, so tonight I tried to make sure I did. The pics show enough to serve 2 (the half pkg.) Last night I pretty well demolished the 2 servings.

Tonight I was a good girl and only ate half. BTW - there is no way to eat these politely... just be lucky I did not post a pic of my chin!

Sooo... I'm not a fan of reheated mollusks but the sauce here is sooo good I might be able to make an exception. We'll know tomorrow!

Anyone requesting the recipe? just let me know!

Have you ever tried Carrabas PEI mussel recipe with a lemon butter, sambucca sauce? It's delish. I told Craig that what I wanted for my Bday dinner, which is coming up. I don't care if we go to Carrabas or have the copykat. I just want the mussels that way.

I want to start my post with more questions than answers. It will make an interesting topic at least for me, maybe you, and I have some product reviews to spike my post:

First my menu:

1.) Sous vide "open nature grass fed beef rib eye steak boneless." Last day discount (the very best considering supermarkets toss steaks because of USDA regulations, and I totally embrace the concept to keep it another week after sell-by date: I have this on-high from my BFF chef and I do it myself all the time with not only good effects, but also cheaper prices and better steaks, but I am totally sold on the idea that you can age steaks in your fridge despite the USDA warnings against. From my own experience and at my buddy's advice, I buy last sell-by steaks and easily age them in my fridge for another week with good results and never yet got sick.

1a.) I cooked my steak about 70 minutes at 120F then seasoned it with S+P+garlic powder and finished it using a cast iron ribbed bottom skillet. I sampled it a bit and pulled it when it was just between rare and MR, just the way I like it. Note that before skillet I applied S+P+garlic powder, to good effect.

2.) Serving: the steak with wasabi powder reconstituted from powder (very cheap in 8oz quantity at my local Asian market). I have realized I like a bite to my steak, and plain pure horseradish (not creamed) is not my preference.

3.) Product reommendation: Trader Joe's frozen asparagus, directions nuke at defrost (30%) for 3 minutes. Totally succeeded. I love "asparagrass" and this hit my "asparagrass" motor. :)

4.) Product recommendation: Trader Joe's french fries, 14 minutes from frozen, I used a grill over a foil covered sm. cookie sheet rather than spot on a sprayed sheet. I always use a grille vs. bare or covered sheet because I figure the raised grille facilitates hot air circulation and obviates any need for turning (which otherwise is directed). I cooked a bit longer because I cooked to my taste, and they were much better than Chili's take out, where last time they wrapped my fries in foil--like duh, you want crispy fries so you deliver them in a container that retains steam, the enemy of crisp? I don't know WTH they are thinking of, serving hamburgers and fries wrapped in aluminum foil rather than paper, like MacDonalds discovered maybe 20 years ago? Exsqueeze me! Maybe Chilis got a brain since I last got take out from them.

My questions:

This steak seemed more like filet mignon than rib eye. Yeah, I know that you take a rack of rib eye and cut the bones off and you have a rack of filet mignon. Did the store merely make a mistake calling "boneless rib eye' when it was really FM? It was a deal at 0.58 lb. for a half off price of less than $5.00.

Not reallly a question but my Sous Vide delivered, 120F for about 70-75 minutes, S+P+garlic powder then browning on a ribbed cast iron grill pan, glad I bought my SV again!

I was surprised that TJ's fries were as good as restaurant.

I was surprised that TJ's grilled asparagrass ;) was just right, and better, independent of portion size, just perfect for 1 serving.

is there a middle ground where a steak is ambiguously FM or boneless rib eye? I saw nothing but FM here despite package labeling that would make me think this is not a 9oz FM for $5. A bona fide deal!

Anybody else prefer wasabi to horseradish? I also like Pick-a-Peppa hot sauce for meats.

Best dinner I've had in a week!

OK, just had to Google 'Carrabas'. Had never heard the name before. So they are made with Pernod? and the sauce has Sambucca? (both the same licorice)

I have done a scallop recipe with Pernod in it; for my neighbour as that is her aperitif drink! She would probably be ecstatic over this.. as would I!!!

Greg, I think filet mignon is actually part of a t-bone or porterhouse, not a ribeye.

BTW, I sous vide my steaks, too, then either sear them over scorching hot charcoal, or in a scorching hot cast iron pan. Great char on the outside, and medium rare all the way through.

CD

OK, just had to Google 'Carrabas'. Had never heard the name before. So they are made with Pernod? and the sauce has Sambucca? (both the same licorice)

I have done a scallop recipe with Pernod in it; for my neighbour as that is her aperitif drink! She would probably be ecstatic over this.. as would I!!!

Carraba's is a chain. I've never been there, although we have them all over here. I just assumed it was Olive Garden with a better name. Maybe I need to try them out. I rarely eat out, so it may take a while. ;)

CD

Grilled salmon and potato salad and berries and Greek yogurt for dessert. I am running out of ideas of what to feed the Elders....

...This steak seemed more like filet mignon than rib eye. Yeah, I know that you take a rack of rib eye and cut the bones off and you have a rack of filet mignon. Did the store merely make a mistake calling "boneless rib eye' when it was really FM? It was a deal at 0.58 lb. for a half off price of less than $5.00...

Not an accurate statement.

The ribeye is on the outside of the ribcage while the entire tenderloin, which the filet mignon is cut from, is on the inside of the ribcage.

Also, the tenderloin if farther back on the steer and shares a bone with the sirloin strip. A porterhouse steak is tenderloin on one side of the bone and a strip steak on the other.

Not an accurate statement.

The ribeye is on the outside of the ribcage while the entire tenderloin, which the filet mignon is cut from, is on the inside of the ribcage.

Also, the tenderloin if farther back on the steer and shares a bone with the sirloin strip. A porterhouse steak is tenderloin on one side of the bone and a strip steak on the other.
Right.

f5f1554832be999042aca4e4c03d3e94.jpg

Attachments

• 82106f6cae8468546e3d361b6112d241.jpg
    82106f6cae8468546e3d361b6112d241.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Nice looking and sounding menus!

We ended up splitting the freshest red snapper on some kind of potato thing. We scraped off the froo froo, and ate that on the side. Coconut ice cream with toasted coconut for dessert for the table, a good time was had by all.

The restaurant we went to recently added an open air rooftop part, it was gorgeous. Too cloudy to see the sun set, but it was still beautiful. And ladies, I got 5, count them, 5, of the cutest little sundresses from Amazon, for the grand total of $21. For all 5. Probably made by 5 year olds in Malaysia or something, but they're really cute. And guess who left her camera plugged in back at the hotel?

Last edited:
Just start your normal routine over again. Put it on a rotation.
I just hate cooking the same thing over and over again. I am more creative than that and, dare I say, a better cook than that. I grew up eating the 7-day rotation. Hate that. Today, it is roast beef.

I have no clue. Today is the last day I have TB home on holidays so we tried to do a marathon of packing, getting stuff ready for people to pick up on the weekend and trying to rid ourselves of moths coming from the unit next door (we have a hole in our wall because their shower leaked and flooded our place two months ago. it still isn't fixed! Even covered in plastic the mold and moths are coming through.

I am hoping he will agree on Chinese take-out! :)

YES! TB not only agreed to Chinese food but instead of take-out, we went for eat-in. I put on my new comfy purple dress and felt human for the first time all week! Now we have lunch for today too.

It's probably Pernod, but Craig prefers Sambucca (I don't drink either of them) so that's what we have in the house, if we have any.

As far as Carraba's, you have to check the reviews for your local restaurant. Some of them are great, some good, others not so much. Not sure if they are franchised or not, but some are run much, much better than others and it shows. There are several in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area and we'll never set foot in 1 of them again, service sucked, food wasn't up to par, floors were dirty, covered in crumbs and had discarded napkins, and it was early in the evening, so they had time to clean up after lunch and before dinner started but obviously didn't. Plus, the stall door in the bathroom wouldn't latch or stay closed. Should have known when the hostess couldn't even be bothered to greet us, just asked how many, grabbed 2 menus and walked off without a word.

All I can say is the package was labeled as "boneless rib eye" but if somebody handed me the unpackaged meat I would have told them it's a 9 oz. filet mignon.

Whatever, it was good. Might have used a bit more heat but I believe that less is better than more when it comes to steaks. And I had already washed my skillet. I guess I could have put a bit more heat on it.

I am now, absolutely convinced that charcoal and wood give far better results than can be achieved on a gas grill. Last night's ribeyes were cooked properly on a Webber gas grill. They were lightly seasoned with salt and pepper. There was none of that charged flavor that comes from molten fat dripping onto hot coals. The steaks were OK, but tasted like they had been pan-fried.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief zlongwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom