Panera Bread Restaurants are getting rid of 50 % of their menu.. in April...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mseaglecook

Senior Cook

This was on reddit.. and internal doc of what is going away...
You can also google the restaurant and see more info...

I eat their quite often and am furious over these changes...
Untitled23.png

It won't affect me. Something about their food (some ingredient?) tears me up inside. I call their sandwiches "gut bombs."

CD

Oh, CD that is awful... You are probably super sensitive to the chemical additives. I can't eat at Chinese restaurants any more because the soy sauce makes me feel like I am having a heart attack.

However, Panera is really messing this up. They are getting rid of the entire kids menu !!!! How are families supposed to deal with that???

I hope they lose their shirts..

Oh, CD that is awful... You are probably super sensitive to the chemical additives. I can't eat at Chinese restaurants any more because the soy sauce makes me feel like I am having a heart attack.

However, Panera is really messing this up. They are getting rid of the entire kids menu !!!! How are families supposed to deal with that???

I hope they lose their shirts..

I've never thought of Panera as a "family" restaurant. More of a yuppie restaurant. But, then again, in the burbs of Dallas, Hooter's is a family restaurant, so who knows.

CD

What is it at Panera that you really love? There must be some favorite foods/dishes for people that have been there.

I’ve never been to Panera but I’m sure that I could find something on the new menu that I would enjoy at a price I would be willing to pay.

1710358845982.jpeg

I used to go there regularly when I was working, and DH and I go occasionally when we're out shopping and get hungry. I request my sandwiches on the Asiago cheese focaccia, so I'll miss that. I used to enjoy the French onion soup, but several years ago it somehow began to taste too savory, like they had added miso or too much MSG. I also like the Greek salad.

I never thought of them as a family restaurant, either. I rarely saw children in the ones I go to. I imagine if the children's menu was selling well, they wouldn't discontinue it.

They *should* discontinue the Charged Lemonade. That stuff can be dangerous.

Family sues Panera Bread after college student who drank Charged Lemonade dies Sarah Katz, 21, had a heart condition and wasn’t aware of the drink’s caffeine content, which exceeded that of cans of Red Bull and Monster energy drinks combined, according to a legal filing.

We went to our local Panera a few years back. Once and never again. We didn't understand the setup and the employee up front was rude and not helpful. The manager tried to apologize, but it just came off as something she does quite often. We never saw a need to return. We prefer to patronize places that appreciate our business.

We rarely go, but when we do, I usually get the Tomato soup, Mac & Cheese and Greek Salad. I used to get bread from there. They had a pretty decent selection, but since I had to cut back on carbs, we stopped going ( and getting bread ) .

There aren't a lot of options around me for good bread. I used to buy baguettes from Panera. Occasionally I'd buy sourdough too. It's my grandson's favorite.

That's too bad about the Napa Almond Chicken Salad. That stuff is awesome.

I still treat myself to Panera now and then when I have a little extra money to spare. My favorite things from Panera include the Asian Sesame Salad with Chicken and the Cinnamon Crunch Bagel.

If they get rid of those 2 things, I'm out.

As far as I am concerned they can get rid of 100% of their menu. I used to go there for bread, not a meal. I especially liked their sourdough and the fact that they would slice it for you. The sign on the roof says, "PANERA BREAD" not Panera cafe.

Since I moved to Sandy Eggo I haven't set foot in a Panera. Here we have Boudin Bakery, originally of San Francisco, who have arguably the best sourdough bread sold anywhere, and their starter dates all the way to 1859.

Sir LOB, I've heard of that famous San Francisco sourdough. LOL. I have some Kensington sourdough starter in my fridge as we speak. Supposedly some starter was snuck out of San Francisco some time ago and brought to the Market in Toronto. LOL - true? or false? have no idea, but it is very popular.

Sir LOB, I've heard of that famous San Francisco sourdough. LOL. I have some Kensington sourdough starter in my fridge as we speak. Supposedly some starter was snuck out of San Francisco some time ago and brought to the Market in Toronto. LOL - true? or false? have no idea, but it is very popular.
Even if it's true, the yeast in it will eventually be replaced by the yeast in your local area, which likely have their own flavor.

I'm not really worried about whether or not it's true, just thought it a cute story. But I had also heard that Sourdough made in San Francisco taste is more due to the water. But back in the Gold Rush days - they certainly didn't have the water system as now - so there yuh go. You can never go back, eh?

How about the family cook pots in the islands that never get washed out? Leftovers from supper last night is still in the pot and more ingredients are added and cooked for tonight's supper. Some of those meals, just like San Francisco's yeast, are 150 years or more old. :unsure: :D

I'm not really worried about whether or not it's true, just thought it a cute story. But I had also heard that Sourdough made in San Francisco taste is more due to the water. But back in the Gold Rush days - they certainly didn't have the water system as now - so there yuh go. You can never go back, eh?

How about the family cook pots in the islands that never get washed out? Leftovers from supper last night is still in the pot and more ingredients are added and cooked for tonight's supper. Some of those meals, just like San Francisco's yeast, are 150 years or more old. :unsure: :D
:oops:

Sounds a little scary, but I guess it depends on what your body's immune system (and stomach) is used to. I'm a big fan of Bizarre Foods and I've seen some really weird stuff. Not just the foods some regions eat, but how they're prepared and also how old the food is and how long it's been hanging around - and is still eaten. Foods they can eat with no problem, but would most likely make the average Westerner sick.

For example, rotten shark in Iceland or in parts of Asia where they let bean paste (and other foods) sit in the hot sun for months on end.

*shiver*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom