Easy recipe for a cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nasturia

Assistant Cook
Ever since I started my cooking experience, baking had always been my nightmare. Although, I want to change it somehow :) So question for you guys is.. do you have any super easy recipe for a cake? I want to improve more in the kitchen but with small steps..

Why don't you start with a "tea loaf" or "tea bread". these are denser 'loafs' but do not need whipped egg whites for rising. Most are almost fool proof. they can be either sweet or savoury.

Cakes are sweet. Often with the leavening agent being the whipped egg whites.

Truth to tell? I'll bake just about anything except regular cakes. I use cake mixes because I am an oaf when it comes to "folding in" the whites. :-p

Don't despair! there are other cake recipes that can be fairly easy too.
Pumpkin Cake
Carrot Cake

Others will soon chime in with their favourite easy beginner recipes!

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

This cake can be mixed and baked in under an hour. If you have pumpkin spice, you can use 1.5 teaspoons instead of the individual spices listed in the recipe.

A few tips for successful cake baking:
  • Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature.
  • Measure all ingredients carefully, especially the flour.
  • Don't over-mix or over-bake.

Why don't you start with a "tea loaf" or "tea bread". these are denser 'loafs' but do not need whipped egg whites for rising. Most are almost fool proof. they can be either sweet or savoury.

Cakes are sweet. Often with the leavening agent being the whipped egg whites.

Truth to tell? I'll bake just about anything except regular cakes. I use cake mixes because I am an oaf when it comes to "folding in" the whites. :-p
Yeesh, don't scare her off! 🤣 Most of the cakes I make use baking powder and soda for leavening. It's only the roll cakes that use whipped egg whites.

LOL - well, GG, I did try to soften it by listing some other cakes! It is just that for a long while every time I found a cake recipe I seemed to like it separated the eggs and whipped the whites. I just haven't looked for a cake recipe since.
I suppose there are many out there that don't.

Naturia - please ignore my silly ravings!

Quick and Easy Chocolate Cake
with Chocolate Topping

SIFT TOGETHER:
210 Gr Flour
210 Gr Sugar
3 Tb Unsweetened Cocoa
1 tsp Baking Soda (bicarbonate)
½ tsp Kosher Salt

MIX:
⅜ C Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Tb White Vinegar
1 C Cold Water

Preheat the oven to 350ºF.

Butter an 8"-9" round pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Butter the parchment paper.

Sift the dry ingredients together into a medium-sized mixing bowl.

Separately, combine the wet ingredients then mix them into the dry, whisking to blend.

Pour the batter into the cake pan and place it in the oven.

Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 30 minutes for a 9” aluminum pan or 9” springform pan, 39 minutes for an 8” aluminum pan. Internal temperature at the center of 205ºF.

Let it cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.

Chocolate topping

83 Gr Light Corn Syrup
70 Gr Chocolate Chips/Chocolate (semi-sweet or milk)
57 Gr Butter

Combine the ingredients in a microwavable bowl.

Microwave for one minute. Stir rapidly with a spoon until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth and shiny.

Cool until it thickens enough so it won't run off the cake onto the platter. Spread it over the cooled cake. (unlike the photo below)

Photo - 1.jpeg

Here's my version of the wacky cake. It has milk or buttermilk and butter. I think it tastes better than the wacky cake without milk and with oil instead of butter.

Here's my version of the wacky cake. It has milk or buttermilk and butter. I think it tastes better than the wacky cake without milk and with oil instead of butter.

If it’s from Edna Staebler it has to be good!

Her cooking books deserve a place on every country cook’s shelf.

I usually frost my Wacky Cake with a basic vanilla buttercream but warm from the oven and topped with fresh whipped cream works too! 🐷🐷🐷

Last edited:
Of course, there's always Paula Deen's ooey gooey butter cake, which is also made with a boxed cake mix. In true entrepreneur fashion, it is now available from Paula Deen AS boxed mixes (more than one), at around $20.00 a crack! Who in the hell would pay 20 bucks for a cake mix?

Last edited:
Certainly not from me in Canada and I will venture a guess not from nasturia in Poland.
Sir LOB I wouldn't call that expanding any actual cooking skills, more like wasting monies on gimmicks.

Sir LOB I wouldn't call that expanding any actual cooking skills, more like wasting monies on gimmicks.
But when she first introduced the ooey gooey cakes on her show, everyone was acting like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Of course, these were the same people that equated a trip to Trader Joes to a pilgrimage to Mecca.

here is the absolute easiest recipe for a cake:
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour a pinch of salt
a teaspoon of baking powder.

Bit the eggs and the sugar till the mixture starts looking whiter than the beginning. Add flour, salt and baking powder, mix well. Pour into baking dish. Bake at 325 deg (account on your oven, it maybe different) bake for half an hour. Use the frosting you like. If you add couple of table spoons of cocoa powder you will have chocolate cake.

Don't forget sponge cake, which also uses beaten egg whites to rise. Some recipes also add baking powder, but I have made sponge cakes numerous times with no baking powder.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom