Do you send your good chef knives to professionals to sharpen them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mseaglecook

Senior Cook
I have two Wüsthof chef knives and I am thinking of sending them to Bernal cutlery to have them sharpened.

I don't trust the hillbillies around here to even look at my knives. LOL

What do ya'll do with your chef knives when they need sharpened?

Yes. I always get my good knives professonally sharpened.

Its easy to ruin them with those do-it-yourself contraptions
Cool, where do you send yours? Also did you have to go through a lot of hassles to do it.

I am having an anxiety attack thinking of my knife being in another state so far away.:w00t2:

I swear by inexpensive knives and do-it-yourself contraptions. 🤭

The three knives that I use are a chefs knife, paring knife, and slicer, all old Martha Stewart knives from Kmart.

I sharpen them about once a year with an old Chef’s Choice electric sharpener that I bought at Goodwill for $6.00.

Do what you feel is right for you and your situation.

Since I switched to Victorinox kitchen knives, I wouldn't spend the money to have them professionally sharpened. They are inexpensive enough that, when they finally need professional sharpening, I can just replace them. As of now, the knives are fine with just regular honing at home. My chef's knife is the oldest at around six years old, and like I said, I can replace it for about the same price as having it professionally sharpened, if /when it becomes necessary.

[EDIT] Linky link...

CD

Last edited:
I have several knives. I have a sharpener on the back of my electric can opener (avocado green wedding gift) that I've been using. Just recently I purchased a Chef, not expensive but not cheap. I'll keep using the can opener one for my paring knives and others, using the Chef for just the larger ones. Works well, cuts paper just fine.
I could never manage that bloody stone that my mom was so proficient with. :mad:

Yeah I sharpen my own knives on whet stones and also a few friends as well.

20211217_115550 (1).jpg

Cool, where do you send yours? Also did you have to go through a lot of hassles to do it.

I am having an anxiety attack thinking of my knife being in another state so far away.:w00t2:
I learned to sharpen knives in culinary school with a stone (which is the best way) but Im not very good at it.

There are stores around Boston that do a good job and arent too expensive. Also a woman who travels around farmer's markets and does it while you wait.

Ive also sent mine to Sharpenter's twice and they did a pretty good job.

I use a stone on my knives. Once in a while I bring them to a professional to makes the bevels are still right. When I do, it's usually a Quebec chain called "Centre du Rasoir". Yeah, they sell razors among other things, but they are good at sharpening knives. Okay, they screwed up with a friend's knives. Really messed up his whole set of knives. He showed us pictures on Facebook and it was really bad. Lots of his friends, including me, told him to complain. When the owner of the store saw them, he apologized and then replaced my friend's knives with the same brand and series of knives.

I use a stone on my knives. Once in a while I bring them to a professional to makes the bevels are still right. When I do, it's usually a Quebec chain called "Centre du Rasoir". Yeah, they sell razors among other things, but they are good at sharpening knives. Okay, they screwed up with a friend's knives. Really messed up his whole set of knives. He showed us pictures on Facebook and it was really bad. Lots of his friends, including me, told him to complain. When the owner of the store saw them, he apologized and then replaced my friend's knives with the same brand and series of knives.
You make a good point.

Going to a ‘professional’ or prestigious high end sharpening service is no guarantee that the work won’t be done by an inexperienced entry level employee.

Over the years I’ve learned that, for me, if I have to be concerned over the cost and maintenance of an item I’m probably in over my head.

“If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it.” - J.P. Morgan

You make a good point.

Going to a ‘professional’ or prestigious high end sharpening service is no guarantee that the work won’t be done by an inexperienced entry level employee.

Over the years I’ve learned that, for me, if I have to be concerned over the cost and maintenance of an item I’m probably in over my head.

“If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it.” - J.P. Morgan
But, going to a reputable place can make a difference. It did for my friend. The owner of the store didn't hesitate in giving my friend hundreds of dollars worth of knives to compensate for the mistakes of the entry level employee.

I have found that, if you ask your local butcher who sharpens his knives, he will tell you he does it himself and just might offer to do yours for you. I do my own with a Secura two-stage knife sharpening system.

There are different types of knives, obviously in shape, form, price etc, but the main thing important here is the steel.
Most Japanese knives use a harder steel than European ones.
Those harder knives need a ceramic rod, the others use a steel (the rod is just for use in between proper sharpening).
Most butchers will use European knives as they are easier to steel and sharpen, so I would be happy to ask them to sharpen those knives, but not my Japanese ones

I got a collection of knives ranging from kiwi thai knives to victorinox to Japanese ones :)

Back
Top Bottom