Appellation d'origine controlée ("controlled designation of origin")

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyCooks

Head Chef
In Europe some foods (and drinks) have become labelled officially as from not just a country, but from a specific area of a country. Possibly the most famous is Champagne - any other white, sparkling wine, even if made in France, the same way with the same grape variety cannot be called Champagne, because it wasn't made in the Champagne region of France. Since then, the range of food and drink products that have become "controlled designation of origin" has rocketed. British examples would be Melton Mowbray Pork Pies, Arbroath Smokies and of course, Cornish Pasties. You cannot label food products with these names unless they are made in the specific, named regions of the country.

Does this type of naming restriction operate outside of Europe?

I am curious, not up in arms about it!

GEORGIA USA In Vidalia, Georgia, soils are naturally leached of sulfur and therefore the sweet types of onions grown there (Granex types) have low pungency. By federal law, only Granex types of onions grown in Vidalia, Georgia can be called “Vidalia onions.” Sweet Spanish onions grown in the north can be just as sweet.
Yes same thing happens here.

But I still grow san marzano tomatoes even though it's not happening in those regions. I don't sell them so it's not affecting them making money/marketing.

Also, people can make parmesan cheese, but they can't call it Parmesan, they can call it parmesan-like cheese.

But I still grow san marzano tomatoes even though it's not happening in those regions. I don't sell them so it's not affecting them making money/marketing.

Also, people can make parmesan cheese, but they can't call it Parmesan, they can call it parmesan-like cheese

Parmesan is not protected. Parmigiano Reggiano is. So anyone can make and sell parmesan cheese.

Back when I was making cheese, learning from Gavin Webber, he received a letter about calling his cheese Parmesan, attorney etc, legal stuff. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE31MqUy6nIMJ_f8y4R3_AA

Wikipedia: The words Parmigiano Reggiano and Parmesan are protected designations of origin (PDO) for cheeses produced in these provinces under Italian and European law. Outside the EU, the name Parmesan is legally used for similar cheeses, with only the full Italian name unambiguously referring to PDO Parmigiano Reggiano.

Parmesan is not protected. Parmigiano Reggiano is. So anyone can make and sell parmesan cheese.
Interesting. I was eating "Somerset Brie" this evening. Somerset is in the west of England. And Brie is a region of France. (The Somerset Brie was delicious. And I have eaten Brie in France which was equally delicious.) No way I could tell the difference!

I doubt that Kraft gets a special exemption on the name "Parmesan"...

grated_parmesan_3oz-1-1024x1024.jpg

@Andy M. and @taxlady if everyone on this forum was living in the US, then yes, you would be absolutely 100% right and correct, Parmesan is not a protected name in the United States.
Fortunately, everyone on this forum is not living in the US.
Kraft Parmesan cheese can't be sold in Italy because Parmesan is protected.

Parmigiano Reggiano DOP

Attachments

• logo-parmigianoreggiano-dop.png
    logo-parmigianoreggiano-dop.png
    25 KB · Views: 26

What does that mean?

Also, people can make parmesan cheese, but they can't call it Parmesan, they can call it parmesan-like cheese.
That only applies in the EU. Outside of the EU, people can call it whatever they want.
The words Parmigiano Reggiano and Parmesan are protected designations of origin (PDO) for cheeses produced in these provinces under Italian and European law.[1] Outside the EU, the name Parmesan is legally used for similar cheeses, with only the full Italian name unambiguous.

The DOP only applies inside the EU.
I would be royally p.o.ed if I bought something called "Parmigiano Regiano" and found out that it wasn't made in Italy, following the DOP rules. I have never seen a cheese sold here in Canada that was called Parmigiano Regiano that wasn't made in Italy.

In some ways, the word "Parmesan" has simply become the English translation for "Parmigiano", like calling Firenze "Florence". We find other hard cheeses in supermarkets (made in other areas of Italy) , used for grating, but of course, they are only called: "Formaggio duro" (Hard cheese).
Then there is Parmigiano's rival: Grana Padano DOP, which is equally delicious, used in the same way (less expensive 😉).

Back when I was making cheese, learning from Gavin Webber, he received a letter about calling his cheese Parmesan, attorney etc, legal stuff. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE31MqUy6nIMJ_f8y4R3_AA

I've always thought that using the term "Parmesan" (adopted in many countries) is also a way of escaping from all the legal stuff, using this name for any hard, grating cheeses which are not made in the designated areas of origin in Italy. It is also more appealing to the customers, rather than just calling it: "Hard, grating cheese", which is what it really is

I've always thought that using the term "Parmesan" (adopted in many countries) is also a way of escaping from all the legal stuff, using this name for any hard, grating cheeses which are not made in the designated areas of origin in Italy. It is also more appealing to the customers, rather than just calling it: "Hard, grating cheese", which is what it really is

My message went through before I'd finished!

..... if it hasn't been manufactured in the DOP regions😂.

My message went through before I'd finished!

..... if it hasn't been manufactured in the DOP regions😂.
The cheese maker, Gavin Webber, had made a recipe for some kind of DOP protected named cheese, sharing the recipe and process. He's in Australia. There was a legal cease and desist letter from an attorney in Europe.
Since this was teaching on youtube videos these could be viewed in Europe.
Gavin wasn't selling the cheeses (in Australia or anywhere) he made but does sell cultures and cheese classes internationally.
It seemed like an over-reach by the attorney, but who knows. Gavin apologized for using the protected name and not using it anymore and the rest was covered in his follow up video to it.

So, to nutshell. A form of regional control does operate outside of the EU. Just called something else.

I can see why small, regional producers would want to protect their product. Particularly from inferior products being sold more cheaply. Though it seems to me that it is the big producers who are the ones who can afford to issue "cease and desist" letters.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom