Adventures With Mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
K-Girl, I'm so happy for you and your mom that you found such a great place for her that provides so many fun things to do. She has a better social life than I do, and I'm almost jealous. LOL! Not really.

All great news! I have those bowls too. I use them for proofing (& freezing) pizza dough balls. They are great little bowls.

I'm happy for all 3 of you!

Ginny, I'm going to go back and get more these bowls to take stuff over to Mom's!

K-Girl, I'm so happy for you and your mom that you found such a great place for her that provides so many fun things to do. She has a better social life than I do, and I'm almost jealous. LOL! Not really.

CG, Mom is having the time of her life, finally. And this is what I wanted for her, a place just like this where she's with folks she has alot in common with and socialize! She has never done this.

Ah, family

I made mention in another thread, that my sister and her husband were our unexcepted house guests last week. They were on their way back home to Oklahoma from California. They were picking up the last of their belongings to bring out to their new home.

Back story: My sister and I do not get along and very rarely communicate. Ah, but when an opportunity is set before her, she takes it. Free room and board. BINGO! :glare:

I got a phone call from a number that I was not familiar with but answered it anyway … my first mistake.

“Hello Sister”, I heard from the other end of the line. I swear, it sounded like Mom! I even said, “Mom?” I heard a choking kind of sound and then a “No, it’s your sister. We’ll be in your area tomorrow and we’d like to stay at your place.” That wasn’t a question by the way. :mad:

I said sure, Mom would love to see you.

The arrangements were made and fresh sheets and towels put out in the guest room.

We took everyone out to linner (late lunch/early dinner) at a new restaurant that everyone loved. After our meal, we all headed back to our house to sit out back on the patio to visit. My sister and her husband didn’t take a breath, babbling none stop, so much so, that no one else got a word in edge wise!

It got to a point that I could tell Mom had had enough by then. She had that sour look on her face, shaking her head ever so slightly, in disapproval as she’s known to do.

I had already served dessert, so I said, “Mom, you let DH know when you’re ready to go and he’ll run you home.”

“I’m ready now.”

:LOL:

A coupla days later, I went over to Mom’s apartment to do some chores for her and take her to lunch. Do you think she said anything about my sister’s visit?

NO!

I don’t think that Mom is too overly anxious to see those two again any time soon!

:ROFLMAO:

Gotta wonder if sister and b-i-l don't get to socialize much, since they were talking non-stop. I know I talk a lot when I haven't been socializing and finally do. Maybe, other people don't much enjoy their company either.

"...It’s your sister. We’ll be in your area tomorrow and we’d like to stay at your place.” That wasn’t a question by the way. :mad:...
Sheesh, the nerve of some people...

Memorize this for next time, if she tries to pull this trick again: "I'm so sorry, but we have the guest room pulled apart and don't have the energy to get it company ready on short notice. We can suggest a few hotels in the area, however."

LOL ... you could always claim a Covid fear! Say you think you might have symptoms again. You're OK for a meal in a restaurant but staying in the same house might not be good. :angel::D

Gotta wonder if sister and b-i-l don't get to socialize much, since they were talking non-stop. I know I talk a lot when I haven't been socializing and finally do. Maybe, other people don't much enjoy their company either.

I think you hit the nail on the head Taxy!
My sister no longer works and just stays at home by herself out in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma while her husband is a long haul trucker and gone ALOT! Niether one really interacts with people.

Memorize this for next time, if she tries to pull this trick again: "I'm so sorry, but we have the guest room pulled apart and don't have the energy to get it company ready on short notice. We can suggest a few hotels in the area, however."

BAHAHA!!!
RIGHT CG?!
That really upset me, but I can't deny my Mother seeing her daughter.
Mrs. Next Door Neighbor was so mad at me, she told me what you have to said was "Oh that timeframe just won't work for us, but there's a lovely Hampton Inn in town."
:LOL:

LOL ... you could always claim a Covid fear! Say you think you might have symptoms again. You're OK for a meal in a restaurant but staying in the same house might not be good. :angel::D

I'd hate to tell a lie, butcha know dragn, there's always that possibility that I was exposed when I went to Bingo last Tuesday.
:wacko:

Last edited:

Hang on, hang on ... DH and I were just talking about downsizing even farther to a 1 bedroom, 1 bath condo ... that would eliminate that possibility of unexcepted or any guest for that matter!!! :LOL:

LOL ... you think you might have symptoms again. :angel::D

I'd hate to tell a lie, butcha know dragn, there's always that possibility that I was exposed when I went to Bingo last Tuesday.
:wacko:[/QUOTE]

Those are not lies! They are possibilities!

Hang on, hang on ... DH and I were just talking about downsizing even farther to a 1 bedroom, 1 bath condo ... that would eliminate that possibility of unexcepted or any guest for that matter!!! :LOL:

Hey! I had my bag packed!

You really don't have to go thru the expense and hassle of moving!! Just get rid of the guest bed and repurpose that bedroom. I'm sure we can "pitch in" with all sorts of ideas for what to do with the room! I'll start!

1 - You do a lot of creative stuff...make it a craft room.
2 - A home gym
3 - (My personal favorite), A hydroponic garden room! Grow your own salads, veggie, flowers...

Whose next?

I 2nd Ginny's - #1 & #3...

:rolleyes: #2, well, I'm a bit of a couch potato. :ermm:

Sorry, can't come up with anything better!

and actually when they do want to come you can tell them to bring sleeping bags for the living room floor....

Last edited:
I 2nd Ginny's - #1 & #3...

:rolleyes: #2, well, I'm a bit of a couch potato. :ermm:

Sorry, can't come up with anything better!

and actually when they do want to come you can tell them to bring sleeping bags for the living room floor....

Ooooh...that's a good idea! Then mention the optional hotel room...;)

:ROFLMAO:
Ginny and dragn, you two gals slay me!

Yes, I have thought about doing away with the guest room furniture all together, but I do use that dresser for off season clothes :rolleyes:
And I would really like to turn it into my craft room, DH & I have talked about that.
But then if I didn't have that guest room, if we needed to have Mom stay with us for a time she won't have a place.

And yes, I have told my sister in the past that she needed to bring a sleeping bag, since I got rid of the Aero Beds. And damned if her and her husband didn't have sleeping bags with them ... damn free loaders! :glare:

Just as a side note: DH & I stayed her my sister's apartment when she lived in Los Angeles ... we could only handle 1 night and had to leave ... it was disgustingly FILTHY!!! :huh:
And I don't not call this thing that is her husband my brother in law, he passed away about 10 years ago quite suddenly. Mom and DH feels the same way.

And The Fun Just Keeps On Comin’

I went over to my Mother’s apartment with some goodies for her.

As I was putting them away in her cupboard, I found an opened jar of Mayonnaise, as well a jar of that Three Bean Salad that I made for her awhiles back.

It took all of my patience not to have a kitten! OH MY GAWD!! MOM! :ermm:

Calmly, I pulled these two obviously spoiled containers of food out from the cupboard and asked …

Mom, why do you have these opened jars of Mayo and Three Bean Salad stored outside of the refrigerator?

Her reply was, “Oh, well they’re okay.”

Umm, NO!

The Three Bean Salad was “fizzy” and the Mayo was turning an unusual color.

:eek:

“Mom, we don’t store food this way. In the future, once something is opened it goes in the `fridge, okay?”

Mom just looked at me with a puzzled look on her face, “If you say so honey.”

I dumped the Salad down the garbage disposal and washed out my wide mouth Mason jar to take home. I took the whole jar of Mayonnaise to the trash chute.

When I got home and told DH about all of this he said, “Ya know, I’d bet you that’s why she got so terribly sick and wound up in the hospital. You’d better be going over to her place more often and checking her food situation.”

GEEZ! :ohmy:

So, I have been making unscheduled visits to Mom’s place, explaining that I was in the area running an errand and thought I’d pop by to say hello.

So far so good.

oh boy, that's actually scary!

3 bean salad and mayo don't go bad easily (I assume it's not homemade mayo?). They must have been in there for awhile... yechh

You're gonna have to keep reminding her... "Mom, I see you have a new jar of - whatever - that's nice, but don't forget you have to put it in the fridge after you open it!"

Think that might become your Mantra?

I went over to my Mother’s apartment with some goodies for her.

As I was putting them away in her cupboard, I found an opened jar of Mayonnaise, as well a jar of that Three Bean Salad that I made for her awhiles back.

It took all of my patience not to have a kitten! OH MY GAWD!! MOM! :ermm:

Calmly, I pulled these two obviously spoiled containers of food out from the cupboard and asked …

Mom, why do you have these opened jars of Mayo and Three Bean Salad stored outside of the refrigerator?

Her reply was, “Oh, well they’re okay.”

Umm, NO!

The Three Bean Salad was “fizzy” and the Mayo was turning an unusual color.

:eek:

“Mom, we don’t store food this way. In the future, once something is opened it goes in the `fridge, okay?”

Mom just looked at me with a puzzled look on her face, “If you say so honey.”

I dumped the Salad down the garbage disposal and washed out my wide mouth Mason jar to take home. I took the whole jar of Mayonnaise to the trash chute.

When I got home and told DH about all of this he said, “Ya know, I’d bet you that’s why she got so terribly sick and wound up in the hospital. You’d better be going over to her place more often and checking her food situation.”

GEEZ! :ohmy:

So, I have been making unscheduled visits to Mom’s place, explaining that I was in the area running an errand and thought I’d pop by to say hello.

So far so good.

I can commiserate. I have an 86 YO sister with dementia. She doesn't get along with technology. She has TVs throughout her home: living room, kitchen, den and BR. Sh is always pressing the INPUT button on the remote instead of the volume button. That causes her to lose her feed. She calls me and curses the TV. Having fixed this for her several times, I explain that she presses the wrong button and that's why this happens. Her response is always the same: Why do you always blame me?

The other day it was her cordless phone. She called on her cell complaining that she hated he house phone it wasn't working. Her neighbor found a handset still on in her closet.

I try to be kind but I want to scream!

YUP!

oh boy, that's actually scary!

3 bean salad and mayo don't go bad easily (I assume it's not homemade mayo?). They must have been in there for awhile... yechh

You're gonna have to keep reminding her... "Mom, I see you have a new jar of - whatever - that's nice, but don't forget you have to put it in the fridge after you open it!"

Think that might become your Mantra?

dragn, I don't want to sound like a broken record or a nag, so it's probably best that I just "drop by" and check on things.
Also, since DH has become Mom's personal financial guru (he watches out for all of her accounts, pays her bills, etc. all online, which Mom couldn't figure out), we know when she's spent any money and what it was for. So I can easily say, "so Mom, you got a new jar of XYZ? Don't forget to put that in the `fridge." ;)

I can commiserate. I have an 86 YO sister with dementia. She doesn't get along with technology. She has TVs throughout her home: living room, kitchen, den and BR. Sh is always pressing the INPUT button on the remote instead of the volume button. That causes her to lose her feed. She calls me and curses the TV. Having fixed this for her several times, I explain that she presses the wrong button and that's why this happens. Her response is always the same: Why do you always blame me?

The other day it was her cordless phone. She called on her cell complaining that she hated he house phone it wasn't working. Her neighbor found a handset still on in her closet.

I try to be kind but I want to scream!

Andy, that's how I feel all the time, although, it is alot better that she now does not live with us.

She was having so many problems that she couldn't deal with when she lived in California ... and it's not like I can just pop by and fix them, what living a 9 1/2 hour drive away.

My sister told me when she was recently here visiting that she was so glad that we moved her out here, nearer to us. :glare: She lived only 2 hours away from Mom in Cali, but who did Mom rely on?
US!!!

Back
Top Bottom