2022 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I first baked a batch of double chocolate muffins from an Aldi box mix. Then I tried a new recipe I saved years ago from a Midwest Living magazine, Black and White scones, a blackberry-lemon version that makes ten scones. They're goodish. They could use a touch more sugar, plus they probably would have baked more evenly had I used one big baking sheet and baked them in the big oven. Instead, I baked them on two small sheets in the toaster oven, five on each sheet.
IMG_20220525_194313686.jpg

It was necessary to bake another batch of onion bagels.

View attachment 52008

Andy, I have a question about your recipe that you posted awhiles back for your Onion Bagels:
You said
" Remove the dough from the bowl and knead briefly by hand to deflate it. Using a scale and a calculator, remove 1/12th of the dough from the bowl and form it into a smooth ball then poke your finger through the center of a ball and twirl it around your finger to enlarge it to a 3½-4 inch diameter. Repeat for all the dough. Place the shaped bagels on a floured surface and cover with a towel. Allow it to rest and rise. "

How long do I leave them to rest and rise?

...Place the shaped bagels on a floured surface and cover with a towel. Allow it to rest and rise. "

How long do I leave them to rest and rise?

I don't really go by time as it can vary a lot. Room temperature and differences in the yeast can impact the results. Today, for example, the dough rose quickly and the shaped bagels plumped up quickly as well.

I check them out at intervals until the bagels have changed from circular lumps of dough to nice plump bagel shapes.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that.

I don't really go by time as it can vary a lot. Room temperature and differences in the yeast can impact the results. Today, for example, the dough rose quickly and the shaped bagels plumped up quickly as well.

I check them out at intervals until the bagels have changed from circular lumps of dough to nice plump bagel shapes.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that.

Gotcha!
DH has been pining for "a good bagel" and we have no such thing in these parts. So, I'll try my hand at it and report back.

Good luck. Hope you like them. Of course, you can leave out the onion stuff if you want plain.

Andy, Do you plump the onion flakes in warm water before adding to other ingredients? Can fresh onion be used instead of dry?

Good luck. Hope you like them. Of course, you can leave out the onion stuff if you want plain.

Ooh, he really likes plain bagels, there ya go! SOLD!

Andy, Do you plump the onion flakes in warm water before adding to other ingredients? Can fresh onion be used instead of dry?

Good Question MsM!! I really like Onion Bagels, I could do half and half ... now I'm going to need some Cream Cheese! :LOL:

No, I haven't done that. The moisture in the dough seems adequate. I buy toasted onion flakes and onion powder from Penzeys.

DH likes smoked Salmon with his scrambled eggs, I have not been liking them for some time now.
I just discovered add-ins to Cream Cheese for a schmear, such as
Bacon
Green Onions
Chopped Pecans
and so on ...

K-Girl, try honey and chopped walnuts mixed in the cream cheese. Delicious on plain, egg, whole wheat, and multi grain bagels...or right off the knife!

I used to go to a wonderful café when I lived closer to it, in town. We still go once in a blue moon. They make spectacular sandwiches on hearty whole wheat bread. My favourite is still the one they call a Northern Lights: cream cheese with chopped pecans, chopped green olives, and roasted red pepper (or just use pimento stuffed olives). I always get it with the optional ham. I sometimes make this at home. Deeeelicious.

I just checked their menu. They have one sandwich with pesto cream cheese and hot pepper jelly and another one with cream cheese and mango chutney.

Last edited:
Inspired by Katie H, I found a recipe for pain de mie in a bread maker! I know, not the same at all, but it is great...and easy!! I used this recipe: https://www.copymethat.com/r/Y5YsFX10x/pain-de-mie-bread-machine/. I did the 1.5# version, because that's usually what I need to do in my bread machine to have a proper sized loaf for sandwiches. Next time, I'll try the 1# version. It is a great bread for sandwiches and toast too!

IMG_6518.jpg

It sure does, taxy!

Like a crazy person, I'm sitting here waiting for a pan (technically pie plate) of my Mom's baking powder coffeecake to cool so I can wrap it and go to bed. It's a great recipe for using up a bit of milk that might be turning and no longer fit for drinking or cooking - but that milk makes great baked goods and pancakes/waffles! At least we'll have something tasty for breakfast when we get up...sometime after noon. :ermm: :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom