Wonderpots or One-Pot Meals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sheet Pan Mini Meat Loaves, +

For those times when one doesn't want a lot of dishes to wash...(K-Girl!), try the recipe for Sheet Pan Mini Meat Loaves with Green Beans and Potatoes. It is a popular dish here and with a little foil on the sheet pan, very easy on the clean up! Here's a link:

https://www.bhg.com/recipe/mini-meat-loaves-green-beans-and-potatoes/

Another one I've probably mentioned before is Turkey Skillet Pie from Martha Stewart. It is good and even includes the biscuits for the meal! NOTE: I use a box mix for the biscuits (here's a link at Target, but they sell this in most grocery stores: https://www.target.com/p/red-lobster-cheddar-bay-biscuit-mix-11-36oz/-/A-15432679?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=bing_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000012720163&CPNG=PLA_Grocery%2BShopping%7CGrocery_Ecomm_Food_Bev&adgroup=SC_Grocery&LID=700000001230728&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=s&device=c&location=&targetid=pla-4584619898258527&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=bing_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Grocery%2BShopping%7CGrocery_Ecomm_Food_Bev&adgroup=SC_Grocery&LID=700000001230728pbs&network=s&device=c&querystring=red%20lobster%20biscuit%20mix&msclkid=e555acd994cf1ecf6bd3cee2c314b350&gclid=e555acd994cf1ecf6bd3cee2c314b350&gclsrc=3p.ds)

https://www.marthastewart.com/1085617/one-pot-turkey-skillet-pie

So, who is next with a contribution to this thread!?

I'm going to have a look at my recipes and see what I can find. I can think of a few, but at least one is in Danish and I would need to write it up in English.

For those times when one doesn't want a lot of dishes to wash...(K-Girl!) ... snipped ...
So, who is next with a contribution to this thread!?

I really like easy, one pot/pan meals AND if their Cheap and Friendly, all the better!

I've been making this dish for a whiles now:

https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthede...9/29/hamburger-curry-stew-cheap-and-friendly/

Very customizable too.
This a popular dish in Hawaii :) I'm guessing `cuz it's so inexpensive to make, food costs alot more than what we pay here on the mainland.

That looks good, K-Girl! I have a new (to me) recipe that I recently tried. Don't laugh...it is a Copycat recipe of Homemade Hamburger Helper. I have no clue if it tastes like the mix with the same name, but we found it tasty and easy...and inexpensive. It makes enough for the two of us and then leftovers for another day...a freezer meal to enjoy another time.

Here's a link: https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/one-pot-homemade-hamburger-helper/

Don't let the name be a put off.

Chow Mein

1 cup chicken tenders
1 can sliced water chestnuts
1 can sliced bamboo shoots
1 onion, sliced into half inch leaves1 cup chicken broth
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 dashes Chinese 5 spice powder
2 cps snow peas
2 cups fresh mung bean sprouts
3 tbs. soy sauce
2 tbs. corn starch
2 tbs. cooking oil
2 tsp. roasted sesame oil

Heat cooking oil until fragrant over medium-high heat. Add the chicken tenders. Stir until lightly browned on all sides. Remove to a bowl and set side. Add remaining ingredients, except corn starch, soy sauce, and chicken broth. Stir until hot, but not limp. Remove to the same bowl as the chicken/. Place broth into the pot, and bring to a simmer. Make a slurry with the cornstarch, and soy sauce. Add to the simmering broth. Pour this lightly thickened sauce into the bowl. Add the sesame oil, and stir all. Serve with low mien, or chow mien noodles.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I have recipes for one pot meals put not all are written up. If anyone is interested I'll post recipes and link here. Just let me know. I like to use my Instant Pot/pressure cooker for recipes that traditionally cook a long time whenever they can be converted. Things with tomato or cream/milk don't do well in the Instant Pot.

Stew/Pot roast
Soups
Pork chops and sauerkraut
"Unstuffed" Cabbage
Hot dogs, onions and tomato (can be served with crusty bread to dip or over pasta so not always one pot)

I'm sure there are more.

Sheet pan Volcano
I've posted it before as Mexican volcano.

This on pan meal is easy, has only a few ingredients, and is delicious. You simply make your favorite meatloaf mixture, and place it onto aa heavy-duty foil lined sheet pan, in the shape of a conical mountain, with a depression in the top to represent the top of a volcano. Bake it, and test with a meat thermometer. When done, Sop up any oil/grease from the sheet pan, and cover with refried beans, mashed cannellini beans, mashed red, or black beans, depending on your theme. Place broccoli and cauliflower pieces into the beans to represent trees, and fill the crater with mole;, salsa, marinara, or whatever you prefer, and let drip down the sides to represent lava. Place back into the oven for ten minutes to heat everything. Serve with appropriate beverage.

Here's one made with a Mexican theme: htthttps://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/mexican-meatloaf-revisited-105650.htmlp://

Just another option.

Southern Living Skillet Shrimp Destin with Orzo

I mentioned this recipe in george's "Looking for 3, 4, and 5 ingredient recipes" thread, but I'll put the link in this thread, too. I'm also including any variations I've made with this recipe in case someone is looking for alternatives.

Skillet Shrimp Destin with Orzo

Scallions: if you don't like them cooked, a sweet onion (like a Vidalia), a leek, or a shallot (my favorite for this recipe) would work fine.

Shrimp: I've used big ones (16-20 size), medium ones (31-40), and small (51-60). All work fine.

Other protein: K-Girl said she has some scallops to use up and might try this recipe with them. I think that would work fine. I've also used chicken breast pieces, cut up into small strips. That was good, but we personally like the shrimp better.

Lemon zest: You could probably skip it, but I wouldn't. It brightens the flavor of the shrimp - and the entire dish.

Minced garlic: It works fine if you just mix some granulated garlic with the liquid ingredients. ;)

Wine and Broth/Stock: If you want, you can use all stock. I'm not a fan of veggie stock, but I do have a jar of Better than Bouillon that I need to use up. I use equal parts of the veggie and a lobster (another need-to-use jar) for the liquid in the shrimp verson; chicken broth went into the chicken version.

Dill and Parsley: Dill really does add a nice touch to the dish. I even add some chopped dill when I pour in the liquids, then garnish with it liberally. If I had to pick one herb over the other, I'd go with dill. The parsley is...pretty. Doesn't do much for the flavor, in our opinion.

OK, there's my favorite easy recipe. I probably could have made a pan of it in less time than it took me to type it out! :LOL:

Thank you, Ross. :flowers: It sounds like you've made this one. A winner, for sure.

CG, if you substitute chicken for the shrimp, when would that go in?
Earlier? :LOL: I used chicken tender pieces from when I bought on-sale skin on-bone in chicken and broke them down myself. They were cut in half, on an angle, so that the wide part was probably an entire inch around. I probably put them in about 5-6 minutes before the end, but as long as you have enough liquid in the mix and cook over a low heat, you can cook them till done. I suppose you can put chicken pieces in right from the start of adding the broth if you're using dark meat. Because of all the trapped moisture in the pan it seems hard to overcook the protein, so a little "overcooked" would be OK. Even the shrimp is tender and moist in the half I put away for the second meal.

Ginny, and Just Cooking, I created the volcano idea, and have made it several times, However, the pictures you see are of one made for me two birtdays ago by my eldest daughter. She did a great job, and I have to give credit where credit is due. By the way, some of you mar remember her on DC as Purple Alien Giraffe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom