What's the difference between cuisine's dumplings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAPyessir6

Senior Cook
I've always used identical dough for recipes like gyoza, mandu, jiaozi, and pot stickers, (even egg rolls wrappers) but I want to be sure I am accurate in my representation of that culture's food. Is there a difference in the wrappings (I know fillings/sauces can vary) of these various dumplings? I love Asian food and want to become even more well versed in dim sum and other cultures' filled dumpling appreciation.

Another question: is there a difference between Bao and Baozi? I've always figured Bao was the little pork bun and Baozi was the tortilla-like bread you steam then open up and fill with meat/charsu, but I am unsure of my assumption.

Interesting question ;)

I don't know the answer, but I found a lot of differences between different sources.
I hope someone chimes in soon.

To me, it looks like Andrea Nguyen's noodle book is pretty good (although unfortunately not metric)

Your best bet is to find an author of a cookbook or blog from the region you are currently interested in. Doughs can vary widely even in the same region and can use wheat or rice flour, or a combo, and may even be a yeast based dough or have no leavening at all. The thickness of wrappers can also vary, ranging from very thin to thick depending on the region.

My go-to source for Asian ingredient questions is the "Woks of Life" website. In addition to having a pretty thorough ingredients glossaries, they are also really awesome about answering questions when their information does not cover what you are seeking. Another plus is that I have yet to encounter a bad recipe and, what I have made, is often as good if not better than what I can get when eating out.

Great question(s)

My go to on all questions like this is to the EXPERT, Kenji Lopez-Alt from Serious Eats.

If you search the Serious Eats site you might find more info. Also, his fabulous cookbook, The Wok, may explain the differences.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom