Ah, fascinating. Guess I should scrap it off and stop using olive oil if I put it in the fridge. Haven't found the nerve to can and leave at room temp yet, lolIf that's in the fridge, that might be the olive oil coagulating, like it would in a bottle, in the cold.
It sounds like you don't understand about anaerobic bacteria. Anaerobic bacteria love an oil top. They grow when there is no oxygen and the oil helps keep it out. Botulism is the main bacteria that we worry about under anaerobic conditions. Botulinum toxin is the most potent toxin known. Botulism spores are not killed by boiling. They need a higher temperature to be killed, as GotGarlic mentioned.Well, I did boil it for 45m before putting in the fridge, so it should be canned. The other thing to consider is I have olive oil just sitting on the counter, many months if not a year, lol. So there is no way it went bad unless maybe the oil got infected from the tomatoes. The oil was supposed to be like a seal against bad stuff, drizzled on top before canning. The only part I did different is put it in the fridge instead of a cabinet.
Another thing to note, I had two jars, one showd signs of the white stuff after a week, tasted fine. Seems to build up quite slowly.
Google more, seems another test is to let it warm up and it should separate if the oil is still good.
I mean, I'm certainly not a bacterial biologist. Without that education, I would never pretend to truly understand these subjects. All I can do is read the recommendations of real scientists, but no one covers canned tomato sauce with olive oil floating on top but still put in the fridge, lol. Usually olive oil is left on the counter as far as I know.It sounds like you don't understand about anaerobic bacteria. Anaerobic bacteria love an oil top. They grow when there is no oxygen and the oil helps keep it out. Botulism is the main bacteria that we worry about under anaerobic conditions. Botulinum toxin is the most potent toxin known. Botulism spores are not killed by boiling. They need a higher temperature to be killed, as GotGarlic mentioned.
Lol, okay. Will be cautious. It was supposed to last a year in a cabinet I thought.You're alive, so you haven't eaten it yet. I wouldn't eat it. 5 days is a long time, a month...well, forget it! I suggest that you throw it out. Wear a gas mask and gloves when you do.
If you eat it, could you check in with us the next day, even if it is from the hospital?
Sorry, I forgot to add that if you had boiled this jar before putting it in the fridge, that could be the reason for the coagulated oil,just like what happens to leftover cooked oily sauces when you refrigerate them. Should still be careful, though!If it's coagulated olive oil, you'll soon find out just leaving it at room temperature on a wooden surface, for a few hours, without opening it. See if it thaws, but of course, "when in doubt, throw it out" .
Unless you live in a very cold part of the world and it's winter at the moment, olive oil shouldn't coagulate, even if it's in the fridge. So I would be very careful!
My olive oil coagulates in winter in the fridge, and in the cellar too, but only when temperatures are at freezing point.