What's for dinner Thursday, April 25, 2024?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only my "posher" friends use "pudding". Most UKers say "dessert". "Afters" appears to be something I got from my Irish parents!

Obviously, as a thoroughly "working class" person, I think the British class system is a pile of .. um... tosh! (being polite there). :whistling

Having lived in London for the first 26 years of my life, the only time I heard "dessert" being called "pudding" was when I was at school, school dinners were terrible, apart from the puddings! 🙂
The when we made "Upside-down pineapple steamed pudding", also at school, during our Cookery lessons.

I'm proud to have been born in London and raised there, but I never really felt very "British", probably why I eventually moved here to my family native country. I would never move back. I have never had any negative feelings towards British ways, I would be criticizing my own roots. Every culture is different, we all have our faults and qualities, luckily, otherwise what a boring world it would be. Variety is the spice of life, after all.

My family is Brits.
Maybe unfortunately so. My parents were children during the war and therefore they grew up with the language that living in poverty was a good thing.
Until I went to hospo school, I had absolutely no clue about fine dining, except for what I had read. I hadn’t even tasted foie gras until I was 20.
At home, dinner was called “tea”
I remember fondly a day where I returned to my parents and made a meal for them and they were blown away by my “fancy” food!
It was just a nice steak with mash and asparagus!

I mum only cooked "Italian-Style" food anyway, so I had no problems, and living in North London, the evening meal was called "dinner".

I'm proud to have been born in London and raised there, but I never really felt very "British", probably why I eventually moved here to my family native country. I would never move back. I have never had any negative feelings towards British ways, I would be criticizing my own roots. Every culture is different, we all have our faults and qualities, luckily, otherwise what a boring world it would be. Variety is the spice of life, after all.
Oh don't get me wrong, I am deeply proud to be British (I, too, was born in London). However, I have a very strong pull towards Ireland given my parentage. I think it gives you a very balanced view on life to have influence from more than one place.

Oh don't get me wrong, I am deeply proud to be British (I, too, was born in London). However, I have a very strong pull towards Ireland given my parentage. I think it gives you a very balanced view on life to have influence from more than one place.
Yes, I understand, it's a huge advantage being influenced by different cultures. I've been living in Italy now for 30 years, a few years longer than my time in London, and being of Italian origins anyway, I feel I've become "completely" Italian now, in my ways, if that sounds right? I still surprise people when they hear me talking English with a real British accent, especially when my London accent suddenly pops out😅! The strange thing is that if I have a conversation with another native speaker in English, it gets to a point where it becomes easier to express myself in Italian, and not English 😁. Some everyday language and expressions just get forgotten if you don't use them often😃.

Back
Top Bottom