Happy Valentine’s Day 2024, what's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
As noted in the thread I started, we got a Tovala oven. We had our first meals tonight. Craig had a carne asada bowl with rice, condiments of salsa, sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheddar and corn nuts, all included. Mine was ricotta stuffed shells with bechamel and a pork ragu. The shells weren't anything special, but were good. The pork ragu was delish. It was a little too much for me so Craig got about 1/4 of mine. I think he wished he had mine instead of his.
20240214_193338.jpg

I made that ethiopian dish kik wat (spicy red lentil) over brown basmati rice, for me. My stomach radiated warmth after eating that. mmmmm It was pleasant. Mr bliss had a meal sized salad w/romaine, tomatoes, apples, pickles, broccoli, red beans, wheat berries with 1000 island dressing.

Hubby bought us a huge lobster tail just over a pound. He's prepping it now. I have 2 filet mignon steaks thawed. I made a tomato and mozzarella salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

I had to leave the kitchen because I just can't stand watching him in the kitchen, lol. I was in there watching him move an oven rack and he put it in with one side higher than the other, then had to explain that the lemon he was squeezing into a bowl of melted butter has seeds in it...and don't forget the salt...I had to go away!

I'm cooking the steaks so we can have medium rare and not shoe leather.

I made some butter chicken, but I made it with skinned legs, not boneless, as it is usually done. I pulled the cooked chicken off the bones, cut some smaller, then put it back in the finished sauce. Most call for heavy cream at the end, some for "hung" curd, which is like Greek yogurt, but not quite as thick. What I did, since I had it on hand, was used creme fraiche, which turned out great! This was served with some jeera rice. Absolutely delicious, and I almost went to get a silicone spatula to scrape the last bit out of the bowl!
Jeera rice, with a tarka cooked in ghee, of mostly cumin, plus a few cardamom pods, whole cloves, an Indian bay leaf, a star anise, and some minced up green chilies. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The butter chicken sauce about 3/4 finished, with the chicken added, to cook 14 minutes under pressure, and release 15 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Chicken removed, to cool some, then added a little more salt, and garam masala, and some methi leaves and creme fraiche. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished butter sauce, before adding the "pulled" chicken back into it. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Butter chicken, served with the jeera rice. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I don't usually care about Valentine's Day, but today happens to be the 30th anniversary of my first date with my husband. As luck would have it, this month's Danish Club luncheon was today. We went. The food was wonderful and we ate too much.

Supper was very simple - I made poutine. We really weren't hungry enough for more.

Hubby bought us a huge lobster tail just over a pound. He's prepping it now. I have 2 filet mignon steaks thawed. I made a tomato and mozzarella salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

I had to leave the kitchen because I just can't stand watching him in the kitchen, lol. I was in there watching him move an oven rack and he put it in with one side higher than the other, then had to explain that the lemon he was squeezing into a bowl of melted butter has seeds in it...and don't forget the salt...I had to go away!

I'm cooking the steaks so we can have medium rare and not shoe leather.
Must be love from a marriage made in heaven.

I love the minor holidays, even when people say they are made-up. Valentine's Day is one of them. I made scallops with a lemon-pepper pasta, garlic bread, and a chopped salad. For dessert, fresh, home-made strawberry ice cream with store-bought cookies.

While I love Valentine's Day, I do not like going out for Valentine's Day. So win-win for me. :D

20240214_173952.jpg
20240214_184807.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom