What's a good marinade for rack of lamb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennifer Murphy

Senior Cook
I have tried a couple I found online, but they are too strong, or I didn't do it right. They are great with nothing at all, but I'd like to try something if it might make it better. I usually cook them in he sous vide, if that makes a difference.

Generally I would never marinade a rack but use many different dry rubs and of course good old salt and pepper is always good for lamb. Curious, what kind of marinades did you not like?
I don't remember. It's been a while. I have just been putting them in a bag with some olive oil and a little sea salt for the sous vide.

Yeah, I wouldn't call adding olive oil a marinade but sure rosemary and lamb works well and not liking garlic I believe is a criminal offence in some Countries, mine for sure, lol. I don't use sous vide for animal proteins, don't like the results, but many do. If you like curries, African, south east Asian try some of their spices etc.

Yeah, I wouldn't call adding olive oil a marinade but sure rosemary and lamb works well and not liking garlic I believe is a criminal offence in some Countries, mine for sure, lol. I don't use sous vide for animal proteins, don't like the results, but many do. If you like curries, African, south east Asian try some of their spices etc.
I mainly use the olive oil to have a liquid to go with the rosemary. Should I use something like white wine instead?

I always rub lamb with some finely chopped fresh rosemary and garlic, sometimes grated lemon peel, S&P, mixed with some EVOO.
What is the difference between "rubbing" and "marinating"? I put the seasoning in a bowl of EVOO (the marinade), put the lamb in a ziploc, add the marinade, let sit in the frig for a few hours or overnight. Is rubbing better?

What is the difference between "rubbing" and "marinating"? I put the seasoning in a bowl of EVOO (the marinade), put the lamb in a ziploc, add the marinade, let sit in the frig for a few hours or overnight. Is rubbing better?
Well, for example in a professional kitchen if someone was to make a marinade it's a given that other than the oil it would have an acidic aspect added like a vinegar or citrus and from there other flavor ingredients might be added. If a protein is submerged in say olive oil that would be called an oil immersion or if cooked in oil at a low temp say like a sous vide it could be classified as a confit, broadly but not exactly. As well, the whole point of letting something sit in a marinade is to penetrate the protein and add flavor and help tenderize and that technically doesn't happen with just oil and why an acid is needed.

Last edited:
Lemon? With meat?

wine = white or red or cooking sherry?
Lemon is great with lamb. Lemon and rosemary is a nice combination. As for wine, for me, it would not be sherry and it would likely be white wine as the flavors do not need a more robust wine.
As Kathleen wrote, lemon is great with lamb.

If I have lamb in a resto, it's almost guaranteed to be in a Greek resto (one of my favourite cuisines, when I'm not cooking). The lamb chops always come with lemon. Skewers of lamb always come with lemon. Lamb in a pita, might come with lemon wedges or it might be cooked with lemon in the marinade. Lemon works well to tame the lamb fat.

I make a loose paste with the things I mentioned and rub it on the lamb, then let it sit for a while. About 30 minutes to an hour if it's lollipop chops or bite size pieces, longer if bigger.

As Kathleen wrote, lemon is great with lamb.

If I have lamb in a resto, it's almost guaranteed to be in a Greek resto (one of my favourite cuisines, when I'm not cooking). The lamb chops always come with lemon. Skewers of lamb always come with lemon. Lamb in a pita, might come with lemon wedges or it might be cooked with lemon in the marinade. Lemon works well to tame the lamb fat.
Ok. I'll try that next time. Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom