What are your menu choices for October?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got tired of that kind of thing happening. Do you use Copy Me That? This is one of the reasons that CMT was started. If one of the recipes I have saved there goes away, I still have the whole recipe and I can find it anywhere I have an internet connection and a web browser.
Well, it would certainly help if I were to write some of the recipes down. I've just been too lazy.

Yeah, my biggest thing with Copy Me That is you must have the internet to call your recipe's up. So I have been making an effort to have a separate File on my computer with just recipes and also the CMT - very slow work trying to co-ordinate the two. Many of my recipes need to be entered by hand.

Yeah, my biggest thing with Copy Me That is you must have the internet to call your recipe's up. So I have been making an effort to have a separate File on my computer with just recipes and also the CMT - very slow work trying to co-ordinate the two. Many of my recipes need to be entered by hand.
You can export CMT recipes to a file on your computer. Then you don't need the internet.

Screenshot 2024-10-26 222856.png

If you don't mind not having the picture that goes with the recipe, then you could just have CMT email you a copy of the recipe at some point while you are making the recipe or planning to. You could even assign it to a collection/tag called "printed" or whatever would suit you. That way you would know which ones have already been printed and you don't have to do it all at once. I am not crazy about their HTML export for all of the recipes. I think some of the stuff had HTML markup showing in highlighted or bold words, well something along those lines. Also, it's one giant file with no table of contents or index. The text is better, but no formatting and no pictures.

Well, it would certainly help if I were to write some of the recipes down. I've just been too lazy.
But, see, with CMT, you don't have to write it down. You a widget on your tool bar and it copies the recipe to your area of CMT. BTW, it's free. I like it enough that I got the premium version, but that was mostly to support the software. I want it to keep on going and be there at least as long as me. I figure sending them a not large amount of money for a lifetime membership is well worth it. I feel I already got my money's worth, even though I could have gotten it for free.

Of course I can - and do - transfer recipes from CMT to my file.
But I cannot transfer a Word file to CMT.

and my recipe file is 1.02 KB

Hi @dragnlaw, if you imported (no you can't) to CMT as one file, it wouldn't organize them into individual recipes. There isn't an import from word file button.
About how many recipe are you talking about?

It's true they don't have an import file. They used to have a way to upload files to Google Drive and then grab them to CMT from Google Drive. But, Google Drive changed something and now it doesn't work anymore. Now, getting recipes into CMT is a slog of copy and paste the ingredients. Copy and paste the instructions and don't forget to put a blank like between steps, if you want them numbered correctly. At least, if the recipe is here, on Discuss Cooking, in a reasonable format, it will import easily into CMT. Hint: it's a good idea to highlight an ingredient before using the CMT widget, here or on FB or in a recipe in a foreign language.

I believe you have far more than 1.02 KB. It's probably MB, if not GB, though that sounds like more than is likely. 1.02 KB would be a file of about 1065 characters (letters, punctuation, spaces, etc.), if it was in ASCII encoding. But, we use Unicode now and that takes more bits per character.

If you don't mind not having the picture that goes with the recipe, then you could just have CMT email you a copy of the recipe at some point while you are making the recipe or planning to. You could even assign it to a collection/tag called "printed" or whatever would suit you. That way you would know which ones have already been printed and you don't have to do it all at once. I am not crazy about their HTML export for all of the recipes. I think some of the stuff had HTML markup showing in highlighted or bold words, well something along those lines. Also, it's one giant file with no table of contents or index. The text is better, but no formatting and no pictures.
I do the text export.

Back
Top Bottom