Making Miso ( You asked for it, you got it !)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
By popular demand, I started this thread to document the process of me making Miso. Full disclosure, I am making it using a kit, so it was a simple, just follow the steps , process. I have made it in the past ( years ago). It came out good, but since I don't use it often, I literally just ran out, which is why Im making more ( the stuff lasts forever in the fridge). Since I started this thread late, towards the end of the process, I'll explain what I did , and show a few pics of the miso in progress. Most of the info I am giving is just repeating from the instructions I am following ( In my own words), so if they are not accurate, or not in line with things you've seen, read or tried in the past, oh we'll.

Ingredients : Soybeans, Rice Koji, Salt ( and water)
- White,Yellow and Red Miso apparently are made from the same ingredients. The differences depend on the quantity of soy beans, salt and duration of fermentation.
- White miso takes the shortest amount of time (2 - 8 weeks), which is the one I am making.
- Yellow Miso ( 6 months). After a few weeks, a dark liquid forms one the surface, which is Tamari ( as Taxlady pointed out to me. I didnt know Tamari was a byproduct of making Miso ( Thanks Tax !). All this being said, Im now 3 weeks into the process, I noticed a darkish liquid on top ( which I dont remember having the first time I made miso). I took a little taste, and sure enough it has a tamari-like taste. Im sure with longer fermentation it will develop its full flavor.
- Red Miso ( 1 year + )

Process:
Ingredients Preparation

- Rinse soy beans and soak them over night.
- Drain, rinse then add water and boil for several hours until the beans crush easily under finger pressure
- Drain ( Saving some of the liquid) , Cool to room temperature, puree in food processor.
***I wasnt able to get a good smooth paste. Mine was a little grainy, but I read that different varieties off miso from different regions have different textures ( some a little grainy) so I didnt stress over it.***
- Mix the pureed soy beans, salt and rice koji. Knead by hand, adding some of the extra liquid until you get a " Playdough' like texture.
*** Like other fermentation processes, you can add some unpasteurized miso ( from a previous batch) to inoculate the new batch***

Placing mixture in Jar

- Sterilize jar with boiling water
- Sprinkle salt at the bottom of the jar, making sure it is evenly dispersed at the bottom
- Fill jar with Miso paste, pressing it firmly so there are no air pockets
- Cover top of paste with cellophane and press it so it adheres to the surface ( no bubbles)
- Sprinkle salt along the edge of the cellophane , where it meets the jar
- There needs to be pressure on the paste, so they provided me with a clear plastic bag that needs to be loaded with about 1.5 kg of weight. they suggest marbles, salt , legumes..). I chose legumes since I have so many, and the weight is listed on the bags.
- Seal jar, date and store in room temp out of direct sight.
- Since Im making the white, check back in 2 + weeks.

It is now 3 plus weeks, I noticed liquid forming above the paste ( which I tasted and has that tamari like taste). Also, has the smell of miso at this point. I haven't tasted it yet. Im thinking of letting it ferment a few more weeks before I dig in.

Since I started this thread after I started the process, I included pics of the ingredients ( or bags of ingredients ) which came with the kit.

I also included a pic of the Miso in progress, which consists of a 1 gallon jar, miso paste at the bottom, about 1.5 kg off beans weighing it down ( beans in a sealed plastic bag as not to contaminate the miso itself). Also, if you look closely, you can see an amber - like liquid about an inch or two above the paste surface ( due to the bag being in there, the liquid is kinda riding up in between the glass and bag).

And finally, there is a pic of my cat , Shlomo, who is sitting with me as I write this post ( He's actually staring at the apple cider vinegar I have in progress)

All in all, a very easy, and relatively quick process. Now that I know tamari is a byproduct, I will make yellow next time so I can get more bang for my buck. Also, this seems much more predictable Thant my soy sauce attempt a few years back.

Attachments

• Miso 1.png
    Miso 1.png
    703.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Miso 2.png
    Miso 2.png
    982.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Miso 3 .png
    Miso 3 .png
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • shlom 3.png
    shlom 3.png