Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:bash: duh... I knew that!! especially after being hit in the head that many times.... by myself! LOL
thanks bliss, don't know where my head was/is.
But that doesn't tell you how much fresh pepper went into making those amounts of peppers minus the seeds, pith, and skin. That's what I would want to know.

taxy, I think with reading the recipe you can make an educated guess. So although some 'poetic license' could probably have been taken with the photographs, one can make some educated guesses.
A large jar of roasted red peppers (at least the one I buy) contains about 5, often more, whole peppers. This corresponds to the picture in the recipe of the peppers they roasted.
So I think bliss is correct with her assumptions as to the jar sizes.
This is also not a baking project where precise weights and measures usually need to be more specific. The recipe only contains some salt, lemon juice and oil, a couple of grams/ounces one way or the other is easily adjusted for your own specific tastes.

On the other hand, should you open the jar of roasted peppers and find 10 huge peppers, I think common sense would tell you that perhaps that is a bit more than the recipe suggests.
The recipe also does not tell you how many peppers went into the recipe, nor how much that 2 kg is for... raw peppers, unroasted with skin, pith and seeds? or 2 kg for roasted, peeled, pith and seeds removed?

Harvest news: at 8 pm tonight, the albino deer (looks like about a year old and is fat), which to us looked like a cow or goat, harvested his/her salad bar from our large garden. We could see it in the dark. I handed mr bliss a powerful flashlight and we tried to spook it. It didn't go far. It was 20 feet from the house when we saw him and only one neighbor away after we yelled and shined the light on him a lot.
Albino or white deer are protected so maybe it is used to seeing people and not so afraid of them. My salad garden (up by the house) is 1 week from me picking lettuce. What are the chances it will be there tomorrow morning?

taxy, I think with reading the recipe you can make an educated guess. So although some 'poetic license' could probably have been taken with the photographs, one can make some educated guesses.
A large jar of roasted red peppers (at least the one I buy) contains about 5, often more, whole peppers. This corresponds to the picture in the recipe of the peppers they roasted.
So I think bliss is correct with her assumptions as to the jar sizes.
This is also not a baking project where precise weights and measures usually need to be more specific. The recipe only contains some salt, lemon juice and oil, a couple of grams/ounces one way or the other is easily adjusted for your own specific tastes.

On the other hand, should you open the jar of roasted peppers and find 10 huge peppers, I think common sense would tell you that perhaps that is a bit more than the recipe suggests.
The recipe also does not tell you how many peppers went into the recipe, nor how much that 2 kg is for... raw peppers, unroasted with skin, pith and seeds? or 2 kg for roasted, peeled, pith and seeds removed?
You're right. Guesstimating for this recipe is fine.

I use roasted peppers in a jar too. I'm trying to remember if there is usually pith and seeds inside of those or is it something that only happens once in a while. Do you remember?

Are you @dragnlaw @taxlady talking about @larry_stewart 's recipe for pepper paste? This one. https://theveganplanetkitchen.com/sweet-red-pepper-paste-biber-salcasi/

I would assume that 1 kg peppers to be roasted, are raw fresh, but a can of peppers that is 1 kg will do if you need to use them instead.
Under 'Servings', it doesn't list a number of servings, it says 300 ml. That is about 10 ounces. To me-that is the outcome of the recipe, the recipe size at the end.
So I'd assume after charring the peel, removing it, cutting it open, removing veins and seeds, taking off the tops, you lose a portion of the weight. Maybe as much as a 1/4th. Then you cook it for 30 minutes to lose moisture, bringing it down to 300 ml or 10 ounces.
If you are talking about some other recipe then I don't know.

Are you @dragnlaw @taxlady talking about @larry_stewart 's recipe for pepper paste? This one. https://theveganplanetkitchen.com/sweet-red-pepper-paste-biber-salcasi/

I would assume that 1 kg peppers to be roasted, are raw fresh, but a can of peppers that is 1 kg will do if you need to use them instead.
Under 'Servings', it doesn't list a number of servings, it says 300 ml. That is about 10 ounces. To me-that is the outcome of the recipe, the recipe size at the end.
So I'd assume after charring the peel, removing it, cutting it open, removing veins and seeds, taking off the tops, you lose a portion of the weight. Maybe as much as a 1/4th. Then you cook it for 30 minutes to lose moisture, bringing it down to 300 ml or 10 ounces.
If you are talking about some other recipe then I don't know.
Yes, that's the one. See, I think that the jarred peppers don't usually have seeds and pith, so they would weigh less that the equivalent peppers that were intact. It won't make a difference to cooking them, but the weight ratio of whole peppers to resulting paste won't be 10:3. I will guess more like 8:3 starting with peppers that already have seeds and pith removed. But, all that does is change the amount you get. I doubt it will make a huge difference.

when I make that pepper paste recipe, I use it as a general guide but dont follow it religiously. As long as the end result comes out as a pepper paste ( similar in consistency to a tomato paste) Im happy. I've seen other recipes vary ( garlic, hot peppers for heat..). I use this one as a guide, cause I compared the ingredients to the one I got at the store.

Attachments

• Pepper paste.png
    Pepper paste.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 10
You're right. Guesstimating for this recipe is fine.

I use roasted peppers in a jar too. I'm trying to remember if there is usually pith and seeds inside of those or is it something that only happens once in a while. Do you remember?
I don't remember either. But my feeling is that the jpith and seeds are removed. I know that the top are gone.

Actually that's given me an idea. I often don't know what to do with the rest of a jar once opened. They spoil extremely fast. But the last jar I had I made the balance into a pasta sauce. Not terribly impressed with it but still OK and at least it didn't have time to get moldy.
In future I will probably either blend them down and/or freeze flat.
Also must remembre to look and see if they are actually whole without a split down one side. Wondering if I could actually stuff them with.... something?

I don't remember either. But my feeling is that the jpith and seeds are removed. I know that the top are gone.

Actually that's given me an idea. I often don't know what to do with the rest of a jar once opened. They spoil extremely fast. But the last jar I had I made the balance into a pasta sauce. Not terribly impressed with it but still OK and at least it didn't have time to get moldy.
In future I will probably either blend them down and/or freeze flat.
Also must remembre to look and see if they are actually whole without a split down one side. Wondering if I could actually stuff them with.... something?
That's an excellent idea, finishing off the jar immediately that it's opened. Here's something else to make with roasted red peppers:

I use it in part because it's a red sauce and it doesn't have tomatoes. Some of the available jarred peppers are also sweet, so I rinse them. On my third try making this, I added a splash of Worcestershire sauce and that worked well. Another thing I noted was that it made a huge mess in the food processor. So, the next time, I used my immersion blender and the beaker that came with the immersion blender to make it in. That worked much better than the food processor.

I got even more cherries today, mostly from one Negro Azteka plant, that was late, because it broke off early, in a storm, so I just stuck it back in the soil, and re-rooted it! It was later, and I've been picking a few ripe ones from that every time, but this time I had a huge number of ripe ones on it, and it was spread out so much, through the eggplants, that they were hard to find. I only picked the tomatoes from 3 plants - that one, the Rosella, and the Ron's Carbon Copy, and at least 80% are the Negro Azteka. As I noted with the other two plants, they were not true bred, and this is even different, and better, in that I don't see all the splits; in fact, I didn't see any! So I bagged a couple of the stems, and I'll save these seeds, instead of the others, though I picked the better of the two plants over there.
Almost 4 quarts of cherry tomatoes from 3 plants, mostly Negro Aztekas, a few red Rosellas, and the larger ones are Ron's Carbons. 9-8 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A few eggplants today, too, plus the ones a few days ago.
Eggplant (and a few beans under them), from 9-8 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And my last (almost) Thai peppers, plus some habs.
Almost the end of the Thai peppers, plus a few habs. 9-8 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Today I harvested the only 2 winter melons I had out there - the second vine had what looked like a butternut, and only one, on a really long vine, and never even saw another female flower! That long winter melon vine is getting more flowers, though I don't know if I'll get any more in this time. Those winter melons are heavy, for their size - 81 and 91 oz, and the butternut was only 28.5 oz.
2 winter melons, this variety is Snow Lady. The butternut was a seed from the same packet, and only one fruit on the vine. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

More tomatoes yesterday, mostly the Superfantastik, Early Blue Ribbon, and Amish Gold Slicer. I'm getting about the same amount of beans every day; the eggplants sort of slowed down, as far as how large they are growing, but there are still a bunch of them! Fall crops are starting to take off now, and before I know it will be time to put the garlic in!
About 8 qts of the larger tomatoes ripening, plus a few of the beans. 9-11 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom