Tipping when 20% tip is already (and openly) added to the bill.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We don't use any credit cards for places that charge us to use them. I can't remember the last time we ate out. Maybe a couple years ago, maybe once a year, or twice. We carry food when we travel and we plan ahead for staying at hotels or relatives homes, or we cook for them. I don't miss it and I would miss it even less if the wait staff was disgruntled or managers struggling. I don't see any point in inviting frustration into our lives.

I know that our choices are not for everyone. It can be fun to not have to cook or clean our meals given the right atmosphere. Sometimes restaurants make foods that are more complicated or time consuming than we might want to do in our own kitchens, I hear that. Trying new ethnic foods we've never tried before can open up new culinary experiences for us. Sometimes trying to recreate some of the new or more complicated dishes in our own kitchens is the adventure.
That is similar to the way that I grew up.

It was common to pack food for a trip or stop in a small town market and buy a few things to make a meal on the fly.

As prices rise, I think more and more people will return to that way of life. The typical restaurant fast stood simply doesn’t have enough bang for the bucks.

That is similar to the way that I grew up.

It was common to pack food for a trip or stop in a small town market and buy a few things to make a meal on the fly.

As prices rise, I think more and more people will return to that way of life. The typical restaurant fast stood simply doesn’t have enough bang for the bucks.
Now that most motels/hotels have a microwave and fridge standard in each room it is much easier to go to a food store and get milk and cereal and microwave food and save money on several meals.

In this area it’s becoming more and more common for restaurants to charge a service fee on take out orders or for diners that request a doggy bag for leftovers to cover the cost of packaging.

I get it but it’s annoying to be nickeled and dimed.

I feel the same when a nice restaurant charges extra for additional sour cream, butter, etc..

I would much rather have them increase the menu prices to cover these additional costs.
This kind of stuff makes me angry and why I don't eat out much anymore.

In the UK, prices are higher in restaurants, so if you want to add a tip it is usually 10%. It is voluntary and based on the food, service, ambience etc. Some people never tip, some people always tip and some people tip more than 10% if they have enjoyed their meal.

Some restaurants automatically add 10% to the bill and don't mention it so it sometimes happens that people will add another 10% which is a little underhand.

There is a minimum wage in the UK but it is hard to know how anyone could actually live on it. (Around £10 an hour I think, currently - around $12.86).

One thing about tipping in the US that I find pretty strange is tipping in bars. Simply doesn't happen in the UK. I assume it is for the same reason that tipping in restaurants is higher - low wages for the staff.

Last edited:
It was some years back when we first encountered the added charges. And, it was at the Weekend Buffet!! When we questioned the added 20%, they said that there is a sign on every table...that we never read, especially at a buffet! So, shame on us. They went on to say that it is to cover the expenses for the increase in minimum wage...obviously, without paying to print new menus. Sigh. Of course, we no longer dine there and we try to at least give the little stands on the table a cursory glance.

When I grew up, jobs in fast food restaurants and many restaurants in general, were considered "entry level" jobs. A way for kids to earn a little spending money...while growing up or in college. Heck, I've had a job since I was 12 years old. I remember having to get a "work permit" from school in order to get a job. My first job was collating - by hand - for a print shop. It was super boring and certainly made me strive for something more!

A Facebook friend posted some photos and a menu from a resort community restaurant with a couple of, what are for me, odd statements.

The first was the addition of a $5.00 service charge to support local artists.

The second was that they allocate tables in 60 minute intervals.

IMO the food would have to be spectacular for me to go back a second time.

If the restaurant made the decision that 20% was going to be added I would not add more tip. I figure they're making up for the ones who never did tip well and averaging out better overall that way.

During covid in the United States people got used to tipping everybody just for showing up. I've cut all that off now. I'm not tipping at the to go window anywhere anymore. They're not serving me. They're just selling food. I'm over it. And I'm really mad because a lot of the restaurants where I live are just sort of secretly raising their price for a glass of iced tea which isn't even listed on the menu to some exorbitant amount. So I've started telling him that I'm ordering water because of the high prices on drinks now so maybe it'll get back to the management.

A Facebook friend posted some photos and a menu from a resort community restaurant with a couple of, what are for me, odd statements.

The first was the addition of a $5.00 service charge to support local artists.

The second was that they allocate tables in 60 minute intervals.

IMO the food would have to be spectacular for me to go back a second time.
I would more than likely get up and leave, especially after seeing that first statement. I'm there to relax and eat dinner, not support local artists.

If the restaurant made the decision that 20% was going to be added I would not add more tip. I figure they're making up for the ones who never did tip well and averaging out better overall that way.

During covid in the United States people got used to tipping everybody just for showing up. I've cut all that off now. I'm not tipping at the to go window anywhere anymore. They're not serving me. They're just selling food. I'm over it. And I'm really mad because a lot of the restaurants where I live are just sort of secretly raising their price for a glass of iced tea which isn't even listed on the menu to some exorbitant amount. So I've started telling him that I'm ordering water because of the high prices on drinks now so maybe it'll get back to the management.
I only ever order water at restaurants. I'm literally shocked at the prices of drinks these days. But then a 12-pack of Coke costs $8. Which is completely ridiculous.

Stores (and restaurants) are just taking advantage now. Everyone raised their prices during the 'supply chain issues' because they supposedly had no choice. Now that all of that is over, they're STILL gouging people for every little dime they can get and they're doing it just because they can.

I've stopped buying high-priced soda and other items that have absolutely ridiculous pricing, mostly because I can't afford it anymore. My savings account is slowly disappearing and I'm literally dying financially because of everything (gas, food, bills, the general cost of living) being so high. I fell out of my chair when I opened my electric bill after AEP raised our rates by 30%. Yeah, just in time for summer, when everyone is running their a/c pretty much 24/7. Very clever, you bunch of :angry:

We have given up on dining out, but not because of the prices nor the tipping policy. It is impossible (we tried for three years at several restaurants) to get good service. Place your order, and if it comes, it is wrong. Try summoning a waiter/waitress--suddenly you are invisible.
I'd be d****d if I'd tip an automatic 20% for shoddy service!

And I'm really mad because a lot of the restaurants where I live are just sort of secretly raising their price for a glass of iced tea which isn't even listed on the menu to some exorbitant amount. So I've started telling him that I'm ordering water because of the high prices on drinks now so maybe it'll get back to the management.

We had that happen recently. Prices for tea and sodas weren't on the menu. I ordered water and a mojito made with tequila instead of rum. With all the ice in my glass, I got around 2/3 to 3/4 cup of liquid, which didn't contain a whole lot of tequila, and my drink was $14.50. But, Craig's iced tea was $3.50 and he wasn't even offered a refill when he had drank most of it.

A 20% surcharge maybe good for employees. In the restaurant business the tip you receive is often determined by the shift you work and if alcohol is served and not the quality of the service you provided.
Plus employers are allowed and often prefer to itemize the tips you "received" during the year when reporting your income to the IRS.

What this means is if there are 5 servers that night and $1000 in tips were received the employer can legally report each server received $200 in tips that night. Even if the servers actually received $100, $100, $400, $200, $200. So at the end of the year your reported income is $2.35/hr + tips. So its very possible you could make $2.35x2000 + 100x250 = $29,700 yet have to pay taxes on $54,700. The taxes may be more than you actually made. With a surcharge system you make 55K and pay taxes on 55K.
With a 20% surcharge you would actually pay taxes on the money you actually received.

The fact that an average meal with drinks for two at an average 2star restaurant will easily set you back a $100 is a problem for everyone. You can't afford to eat out and restaurant owners can't stay in business without costumers. I'm not talking about anything fancy just the average local seafood, Thai, Italian, etc restaurant is between $65-100.

=

We had that happen recently. Prices for tea and sodas weren't on the menu. I ordered water and a mojito made with tequila instead of rum. With all the ice in my glass, I got around 2/3 to 3/4 cup of liquid, which didn't contain a whole lot of tequila, and my drink was $14.50. But, Craig's iced tea was $3.50 and he wasn't even offered a refill when he had drank most of it.
Yes, the price of beverages is ridiculous. Here in Alabama $12-15 for mixed drink and $3.50 for water, tea, and soft drinks is the norm. Thank goodness refills of sweet tea are still free, for now.

I only ever order water at restaurants. I'm literally shocked at the prices of drinks these days. But then a 12-pack of Coke costs $8. Which is completely ridiculous.

Stores (and restaurants) are just taking advantage now. Everyone raised their prices during the 'supply chain issues' because they supposedly had no choice. Now that all of that is over, they're STILL gouging people for every little dime they can get and they're doing it just because they can.

I've stopped buying high-priced soda and other items that have absolutely ridiculous pricing, mostly because I can't afford it anymore. My savings account is slowly disappearing and I'm literally dying financially because of everything (gas, food, bills, the general cost of living) being so high. I fell out of my chair when I opened my electric bill after AEP raised our rates by 30%. Yeah, just in time for summer, when everyone is running their a/c pretty much 24/7. Very clever, you bunch of :angry:
You and me both. I didn't buy soft drinks at the grocery for years but then I started back up a couple of years ago because I like Coke zero. But I limit when I buy it. Last time I bought four cartons to get pretty much half off.

I'm mad at one of my favorite restaurants because they had one salsa I liked a lot that is usually what got me in there even though they do have delicious brisket. I guess trying to save time or money that you decided to quit having that salsa and I just told him that I wouldn't be in very often anymore and I haven't been in since. I'll probably call them in a few weeks and asked if they ever got their salsa back. I'm in the prices are high enough they should be able to do whatever.

There's one just little neighborhood Tex-Mex place that is just okay and their prices for lunch are still reasonable except I kept wondering why my bill was a lot higher than the price on the lunch menu, so I asked them how much were their drinks and then stopped ordering them because I mean it was literally like half of the price of the lunch entree. And then I ordered flour tortillas and they had jacked the price up on those so they're flour tortillas is one reason I went there. Ugh. They're putting themselves out of business.

That's pathetic. All these restaurants around here really push drinks and I am so glad that I couldn't drink now if I wanted to because I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Yes, the price of beverages is ridiculous. Here in Alabama $12-15 for mixed drink and $3.50 for water, tea, and soft drinks is the norm. Thank goodness refills of sweet tea are still free, for now.
You are charged for water in Bama? Plain ole tap water? That is truly outrageous.

That's pathetic. All these restaurants around here really push drinks and I am so glad that I couldn't drink now if I wanted to because I wouldn't be able to afford it.
You think that's bad? The restaurant in my earlier post about bad service and my overcooked meat charged $18 for the glass of wine I got, and that was 1 of the middle prices for wine by the glass. They have some kind of fancy preservation system so they can sell sort of expensive wines by the glass. I got about 3/4 cup of wine. It was about a $40-50 bottle of wine in the grocery or liquor stores, which means they got it for a good bit less.

I knew going in about the prices for the drink and the wine, but the $3.50 for the tea is more than most places charge, which is usually in the vicinity of $2.75.

Not a restaurant story....I've not had a glass of champagne in a long, long time. I thought I would pick up a split at the market. I changed my mind! They wanted $45 for a SPLIT of champagne and it wasn't even a great champagne!

I got about 3/4 cup of wine. It was about a $40-50 bottle of wine in the grocery or liquor stores, which means they got it for a good bit less.
Restaurants in Canada must buy liquor/wine from a controlled supplier. Should an Inspector enter and find no tax stamp on the bottle the fines are extremely hefty.
So in actual fact they pay MORE for that booze than we do.

Back
Top Bottom