Sunday Supper, July 28, 2024

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
I am trying to use up things I already have before I stock up on new things from the grocery store. This afternoon, I discovered I had pretty much everything to make some jambalaya. I did not have the chicken thighs or andouille that I usually use, but I had some really good Central Texas German smoked beef sausage, and it worked out great.

1722207020858.jpeg

Oh yeah, I don't know how to make a little bit of jambalaya, so I'll be getting a few days of meals out of this batch. :ROFLMAO:

CD

Tovala meals of Salisbury meatballs and mashies, plus carrot and broccoli stem coins from home. No pics because I've posted the meals many times. Cherry turnovers and ice cream for dessert.

I used the recipe that dragnlaw used here: https://www.discusscooking.com/thre...-2024-national-kitten-day.138864/post-2012406

It's called "Crispy Baked Deviled Chicken Thighs". I used both parts of one leg. It was just easier. I get chicken whole legs (without the backs) individually wrapped. It was good, but I will tweak the recipe. I didn't find it nearly as devilled as I had hoped. I made a potato salad too. There, I experimented with the dressing. I had seen Danish recipes that used a very simple dressing: yogourt, Dijon mustard, and salt. That actually worked very well. I chopped up some upland cress and added it to the potato salad. I really enjoyed that meal. And now you know, that recipe for the devilled chicken thighs works perfectly well with drumsticks too.

Crispy devilled chicken leg with potato salad and a bit of upland cress.jpg

Stir steamed veg: peppers, onions, water chestnuts, zucchini, carrots, and soy curls, glazed with a corn starch sauce, topped with tomatoes, over veggie rice.
Then we made raspberry nice-cream, 6 2.5 cup containers. Yum.

Compressor ice cream maker? Does that mean you don't have to store the bowl in the freezer? Sounds nifty.
Yes, ma'am. I have 2 that need their bowls stored in the freezer, a Cuisinart and a KitchenAid attachment. I never have room in the freezer, so I never use them. I plan to sell the other 2 on ebay now that I have one with a compressor built in.

Stir steamed veg: peppers, onions, water chestnuts, zucchini, carrots, and soy curls, glazed with a corn starch sauce, topped with tomatoes, over veggie rice.
Then we made raspberry nice-cream, 6 2.5 cup containers. Yum.
I had to look up soy curls. Do you make them yourself or do you buy them ready made? How do they compare to other vegan meat substitutes?

Yes, ma'am. I have 2 that need their bowls stored in the freezer, a Cuisinart and a KitchenAid attachment. I never have room in the freezer, so I never use them. I plan to sell the other 2 on ebay now that I have one with a compressor built in.
I just checked on Amazon.ca to get an idea of prices. Oh dear, not too terribly expensive. I want one. But, I am not a big dessert person. How often would I use it, even though it would take less planning than with the one I have now? I can't really make a comparsion to how often I buy ice cream not, because it's hard to get ice cream that is even close to as good as homemade, so store bought just doesn't have the same appeal.

I had to look up soy curls. Do you make them yourself or do you buy them ready made? How do they compare to other vegan meat substitutes?
I can't make them, they use some kind of process like freeze drying maybe and I don't have one of those.
They are made 100% of soybeans and take on the flavors you marinate them in, so they can be very chickeny or beefy. The texture is great. It reminds me of pieces of chicken, or velveted beef strips. If we had omnivore guests I doubt they could tell it wasn't chicken for instance. They are also filling or substantial. Mr bliss loves them.
They cost about 5-6$ for 8 oz dry. I use about a half a package in a stir fry, enough for 4 big servings.
As far as say seitan, or tofurky, or bean burgers, or mc donalds fake hamburger....the bought ones have oil added as well as isolated proteins, and I'm not a fan of those things. Homemade meat substitutes can be made without them too. Soy curls are 100% soybeans. Nothing added or isolated or removed.
Mongolian-soy-curls-1.jpg

@msmofet I can certainly do that! It’s quite a bit of work though, from the way I do my pastry, the duxelles, avoiding over cooking the beef and so on. It might be easier for me to make a post in the “beef” subforum over a few parts. I will gather my steps together and make that post.
I think I may have mentioned it somewhere before, but truly - roasted pear with a nice steak is honestly divine!

I think I may have mentioned it somewhere before, but truly - roasted pear with a nice steak is honestly divine!

Never thought of roasting pear with beef. Sounds very tasty.
I've done Wellington's too. They were great and I love them, tasty, presents super well and yes, several steps to success - but worth it!
And no, I did not make my own pastry. LOL.

Yes, the big meaty flavour of the beef is beautifully complemented by the gentle sweetness of the roast pear.
It’s a garnish I used years ago in the restaurant (for a special) and it was well received so I just tucked it away into my “toolbox”. I haven’t seen it done often but it’s always a favourite when I serve it with a nice steak 🫠

Yep, ditto medtran. Silversage could you post a recipe please (separately if you could so I can find it later, thanks)
I do have a recipe for it but have never made it and I'd like to compare.
LOL, anything with shrimp is a favourite!

@msmofet I can certainly do that! It’s quite a bit of work though, from the way I do my pastry, the duxelles, avoiding over cooking the beef and so on. It might be easier for me to make a post in the “beef” subforum over a few parts. I will gather my steps together and make that post.
Do post the recipe in the section for beef. It will be easier to find later. But, it wouldn't hurt to put a link here once the recipe is posted.

Back
Top Bottom