Sunday, August 4th - Got cool enough to eat something hot!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Master Chef
If you don't factor in that humidity! :LOL:

I made a one dish Italian type pasta dish today, in the Instant Pot, something good for this type of weather, since not as much heat goes into the kitchen, both the cooking, and no cooking the pasta separate, then draining the pasta in the sink.

Put together some ingredients, sort of like a putanesca recipe, but I also had a pound of sweet Italian sausage I cooked with it, and I added some lentils, in place of some of the pasta. I cooked a chopped onion in some olive oil, about 5 min, to start on Sauté, then added 4 cloves minced garlic, cooked another minute, then added about 3/4c chopped Kalamata olives, with about 1/4c chopped green olives, and 1/3c salted capers, soaked, drained, and chopped, and 6 anchovies, chopped fine, and a tsp each of dried marjoram and thyme, plus a generous tsp of pepper flakes. After cooking about 5 minutes (while getting the sausage out of the skins), I added the sausage, and cooked, chopping it up, until nothing raw, and left some chunks of sausage. Meanwhile, I got just over 24 oz of tomatoes cut into chunks, to blend into a coarse purée. I poured that into the pot, then rinsed it out with 4 c of water, and put that in the pot, with 1/2 c of toor dal (this is the best one I have found for cooking this long with pasta, in the IP, as it stays a little firm, but not too firm, and doesn't get mushy), at least a tb of chopped basil (much more later), and brought it to a boil, then hit OFF. Then I stirred in 10 oz of those small shells, making sure they were all under the sauce, then put the lid on, and set Manual for 4 minutes. When that finished, I hit OFF, and vented the IP. I stirred in another generous amount of chopped basil - about 4 tb. After about another minute of simmering and stirring, with the residual heat, it is cooked just right, and I took the pot out of the base, to stop the cooking.

With all those olives, capers, anchovies, and sausage with salt in them, this is not for a low salt diet! :LOL: And I added no more at all.
finished pasta dish, made in the Instant Pot, with some lentils, Italian sausage, and quite a few other ingredients. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

We ate light again with the humidity!!!! Tomorrow might be cooler here.

Toast with avocado lemon nu-salt, mr bliss had toast with peanut butter and raspberry jam. I had a bowl of greens and a brownie.

Leftovers and sandwiches again. I am almost done with the jambalaya. The tuna salad is gone. I've been pretty good about not cooking anything new until my leftovers are gone. Not much food waste in the doghouse lately.

CD

I finally finished off that rotisserie chicken. First I fried most of the skin from the chicken and snacked on that while I made supper. I stir fried the chicken with veggies from the freezer. There was also a half a package (2 serving package) of Blue Dragon's Chilli Coconut Stir Fry Sauce. Easy and tasty. I had an orange for dessert.

Attachments

• 2024-08-04 chicken and veggie stir fry on brown basmati rice.jpg
    2024-08-04 chicken and veggie stir fry on brown basmati rice.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 14
We went to our favorite rib place several days ago. We always get a full rack each of baby back ribs because they are only $6 more than a half rack so we get another meal for $6. Craig ate his other half for brunch 1 day. I decided to pull the meat off my remaining ribs, which were about 2/3 of the rack, reheat with BBQ sauce and make sliders. Home fries and slaw on the side. Oh, Kings Hawaiian slider rolls.
20240804_181837.jpg

I had Swedish meatballs. There was so much sauce left over from the Stouffer's Swedish meatballs that I decided to save it and made my own meatballs this time. All I can say is they were definitely lacking.

The envelope I got for making Swedish meatballs has a separate packet for seasoning the meat. I'll try that next time, but honestly, I think I'm at my limit for Swedish meatballs right now so that may be a while.

Back
Top Bottom